UGHH i hate the nurse practioner here

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I had to go in and see the nurse practioner at the base today because Landree's doctor was NOT there. Anyway she implies that my beautiful chubby BF baby is FAT!!!!!!!!!!!! and that I needed to watch her intake of BM. UGHHHH how the heck do you do that. She is a healthy I am not gonna take away BM because she is chubby. Arent BF babies chunky anyway??? BTW she did this to me a while ago too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b]Wife to Allen, the LOVE of my life since 2004</span>
May 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
chlodoll
I bet if she was a boy she wouldnt have said anything! Some people are just strange, if a baby is hungry feed them!
May 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM
donomama
Don't you dare limit her! My DD was HUGE!!! She slimmed down once she started walking, and now, at 4, she is perfectly normal. You must just have really good milk! The thing about BM is that it lets babies grow how they are individually supposed to grow. Plus, you're right - how do you limit a breastfed baby, cut them off when your breast is half full?
May 16th, 2007, 07:17 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
What a crazy person! Feed that baby! I hate our NP here too, I refuse to see her, I will only schedule an appointment with our regular doc. I had Ryleigh in a great sleep schedule around 3 months and she told me to wake her up at night and feed her more even though she didn't want to be woken up to eat DD was gaining at 1/2 ounce a day which was acceptable for her age, no way in hell was I waking her up! That was the end of our relationship with the NP, my doctor even said that was not good advice. She acted like I was starving my baby
May 17th, 2007, 06:34 AM
mommyKathyX3
yeah dont listen to her. another misinformed medical personel. its sad really
May 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Your going to find that in the AF medical facility... They don't know anything about nursing half the time. I had a WONDERFUL doctor... when we went in Olivia got hungry and she said don't mind me... she watched me latch her on at 3 days old and said you have a nursing CHAMP... I said I realize that... she eats all the time. I LOVED MY PEDI at Luke... WONDERFUL Doctor. She was a mom who adopted and nursed her little girl... She was all for breastfeeding. I didn't mind asking her questions. But I have ran into problems with others when she wasn't there.. I tell them to shove it.... and I am only an E4... If I had problems I would call her or stop her at the CDC... Her hubby and her were both peds in our clinic... He would see Livi standing outside the CDC and ask about her ear infections... he would even take a peek at her ears off duty... I heart those two

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh please! Both my babies were quite chubby. Aaron still is
There's a huge difference between a chubby baby and an overweight baby.

Sharon
May 17th, 2007, 05:16 PM
donomama
My baby was definitely overweight (25 pounds at 6 months), but I still say that when they're exclusively breastfed, you don't need to limit them. My doc said the same thing (luckily!).
July 17th, 2007, 08:03 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, she's an NP - NOT a doctor. So any medical advice regarding your child's caloric intake, I would ignore unless it's being dictated from the dr.

Second, 2 wks ago at our well baby, I asked our dr about Ian's rapid weight gain and told me that since Ian was breastfed, he's getting OPTIMAL NUTRITION. There was no reason to make any changes to his diet, and to wait until he was 6mo to start solids/cereal. He added that by him breastfeeding, my milk will continue to change and mature, ensuring that he gets all the nutrients and antibodies necessary. He went further to say that since my son was sick and had surgery, preventing him from eating why he should - that he's still "catching up".

So, if you and your child have a healthy nursing relationship - then there shouldn't be a problem at all. With that said, there are kids that fall in to a habit of comfort feeding (using you as a pacifier), that can allow them to take on extra calories - but it still shouldn't be considered "problematic".

July 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM
jdee0509's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jdee0509
I hate when people call babies fat.

They're babies, and babies are chubby! To me a healthy baby is a chubby baby. Well, except...I did know this one mother who stuck a bottle in her babies mouth every time he cried and he did turn out fat.

But people comment on how big my DD is too. I just smile and say "Yeah, she loves her formula"

July 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
*Aspen*
What a weirdo...babies are chubby by nature. Crazy lady....
July 17th, 2007, 06:16 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
I hate when people call babies fat.

They're babies, and babies are chubby! To me a healthy baby is a chubby baby. Well, except...I did know this one mother who stuck a bottle in her babies mouth every time he cried and he did turn out fat.

But people comment on how big my DD is too. I just smile and say "Yeah, she loves her formula" [/b]

Quote:
What a weirdo...babies are chubby by nature. Crazy lady....[/b]
I just want to say that not ALL babies are chubby. And not all babies who aren't chubby aren't healthy. Petite babies can be healthy too, just like some chubby babies may not be. I think people should just say that a baby is a healthy baby if they are and not equate it with a certain amount of chub.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Veteran
I don't think everyone is being fair to the NP. Maybe she believed that this baby was reaching the upper edge of what is considered 'healthy' for that age. I assure you, she was not trying to be insulting--things like this are only brought up because it is felt that it is in the best interest of the child. It is possible to over-feed a BF child. Some parents BF the child to comfort and soothe it--not necessarily because it is hungry. Or to help put the baby to bed.. This increases your milk supply, the baby adjust to the slowly growing meal size and acclimates. It becomes the new routine for both mom and baby, and the BF baby can end up getting too heavy! It's easy to have happen, and not so easy to realize what's going on!

I'm not saying the OP is doing this, just giving an example. I think it's unfair for all of these posts to be so negative towards the NP when she was doing what she felt to be in the child's best interest. If a child IS indeed being overfed as an ifnat(and it CAN happen with BF)--the child is being set up with habits that will likely stick with them for the rest of their lives. They are learning to comfort themselves with food, dry their tears with food, fall to sleep wtih food.. It's not a good routine to get into. Again, I'm not saying the OP is doing this or that her baby is overweight--just voicing the idea that it IS possible to overfeed when BF.

Quote:
I just want to say that not ALL babies are chubby. And not all babies who aren't chubby aren't healthy. Petite babies can be healthy too, just like some chubby babies may not be. I think people should just say that a baby is a healthy baby if they are and not equate it with a certain amount of chub.[/b]
Thank you! I was really getting irritated reading over and over that a chubby baby is a healthy baby. It has nothing to do with chub! A chubby and/or skinny baby can be healthy! For the record, I breastfed Elizabeth for 12 months. She was always in the top of the charts for height, and in the lower 50% for weight. NOW, at 22 months old she weighs what one of you said your baby weighed at 6 months! 25 lbs! Chub or no chub--certainly has nothing to do with the health of the child.
July 18th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Ms.Michelle
^ Nurse defender!!

Quote:
yeah dont listen to her. another misinformed medical personel. its sad really[/b]

Quote:
First, she's an NP - NOT a doctor. So any medical advice regarding your child's caloric intake, I would ignore unless it's being dictated from the dr.

Second, 2 wks ago at our well baby, I asked our dr about Ian's rapid weight gain and told me that since Ian was breastfed, he's getting OPTIMAL NUTRITION. There was no reason to make any changes to his diet, and to wait until he was 6mo to start solids/cereal. He added that by him breastfeeding, my milk will continue to change and mature, ensuring that he gets all the nutrients and antibodies necessary. He went further to say that since my son was sick and had surgery, preventing him from eating why he should - that he's still "catching up".

So, if you and your child have a healthy nursing relationship - then there shouldn't be a problem at all. With that said, there are kids that fall in to a habit of comfort feeding (using you as a pacifier), that can allow them to take on extra calories - but it still shouldn't be considered "problematic".[/b]
Excellent points! OT: My goodness is your siggie ever cute to look at!
July 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
I don't think everyone is being fair to the NP. Maybe she believed that this baby was reaching the upper edge of what is considered 'healthy' for that age. I assure you, she was not trying to be insulting--things like this are only brought up because it is felt that it is in the best interest of the child. It is possible to over-feed a BF child. Some parents BF the child to comfort and soothe it--not necessarily because it is hungry. Or to help put the baby to bed.. This increases your milk supply, the baby adjust to the slowly growing meal size and acclimates. It becomes the new routine for both mom and baby, and the BF baby can end up getting too heavy! It's easy to have happen, and not so easy to realize what's going on!

I'm not saying the OP is doing this, just giving an example. I think it's unfair for all of these posts to be so negative towards the NP when she was doing what she felt to be in the child's best interest. If a child IS indeed being overfed as an ifnat(and it CAN happen with BF)--the child is being set up with habits that will likely stick with them for the rest of their lives. They are learning to comfort themselves with food, dry their tears with food, fall to sleep wtih food.. It's not a good routine to get into. Again, I'm not saying the OP is doing this or that her baby is overweight--just voicing the idea that it IS possible to overfeed when BF.

Quote:
I just want to say that not ALL babies are chubby. And not all babies who aren't chubby aren't healthy. Petite babies can be healthy too, just like some chubby babies may not be. I think people should just say that a baby is a healthy baby if they are and not equate it with a certain amount of chub.[/b]
Thank you! I was really getting irritated reading over and over that a chubby baby is a healthy baby. It has nothing to do with chub! A chubby and/or skinny baby can be healthy! For the record, I breastfed Elizabeth for 12 months. She was always in the top of the charts for height, and in the lower 50% for weight. NOW, at 22 months old she weighs what one of you said your baby weighed at 6 months! 25 lbs! Chub or no chub--certainly has nothing to do with the health of the child.
[/b]

You can NOT overfeed a BF baby. You are SUPPOSED to nurse for comfort, thats why they say to do so! You are allowed to nurse to sleep, again it's completely natural and expected. Your body is an amazing thing and does NOT deliver fatty milk when the child is comfort nursing. It delivers the right amount of milk with the right fat content based on what your child NEEDS.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

July 18th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Veteran
Sorry, but I disagree. You can overfeed a BF baby. If you put baby to your breast every time he/she cries to comfort him(every half hour for example)--OVERFEEDING. A baby and your breast can both adjust to put out/take in more milk. That doesn't mean it's good. Babies are not meant to be fed EVERY time they cry. Sometimes they are uncomfortable and need repositioning, need a new diaper, etc.. If your digestive system is in a constant state of 'work'--baby is being overfed. It takes a toll on the digestive system when it is never allowed to rest and recover.

Who says you are supposed to comfort nurse and nurse to sleep? I actually read quite the opposite. Nursing to sleep doesn't help the baby learn to fall asleep on his/her own.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'your breasts put out different stuff depending on why you nurse'. First, how do your breasts know WHY you are nursing at a given moment? Second, how do you even know if you're comfort feeding or 'for real' feeding half the time? It's funny, because I've always read that milk proceeds in a manner that is the same at any given feeding. It starts with the more watery pre-milk, then ends with the thick fatty stuff. Of course, if you feed 15 minutes later--before your breasts have been given time to rebuild their supply--you may have just the watered down substance available. However, over time--your body will accustom to this and begin producing more milk at that time(of both kinds).
July 18th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. You can overfeed a BF baby. If you put baby to your breast every time he/she cries to comfort him(every half hour for example)--OVERFEEDING. A baby and your breast can both adjust to put out/take in more milk. That doesn't mean it's good. Babies are not meant to be fed EVERY time they cry. Sometimes they are uncomfortable and need repositioning, need a new diaper, etc.. If your digestive system is in a constant state of 'work'--baby is being overfed. It takes a toll on the digestive system when it is never allowed to rest and recover.

Who says you are supposed to comfort nurse and nurse to sleep? I actually read quite the opposite. Nursing to sleep doesn't help the baby learn to fall asleep on his/her own.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'your breasts put out different stuff depending on why you nurse'. First, how do your breasts know WHY you are nursing at a given moment? Second, how do you even know if you're comfort feeding or 'for real' feeding half the time? It's funny, because I've always read that milk proceeds in a manner that is the same at any given feeding. It starts with the more watery pre-milk, then ends with the thick fatty stuff. Of course, if you feed 15 minutes later--before your breasts have been given time to rebuild their supply--you may have just the watered down substance available. However, over time--your body will accustom to this and begin producing more milk at that time(of both kinds).[/b]
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html

There is a difference between comfort nursing and nursing for food and YES your body adjusts to this. When Mattea comfort nurses (which she does ALL the time) she gets barely any milk out of me, she basically uses me as a paci. And even though she comfort nurses a lot, and I nurse her to sleep every night, she's consistantly been in the 20th percentile for weight (and the 80th for height) so she is definately FAR from overweight. And a 5 month old baby does not NEED to fall asleep on it's own, it's perfectly fine to nurse a baby to sleep, eventually they will learn to self soothe and put themself to sleep.

To the OP-I think that your NP is full of crap, personally. How much does your baby weigh? Every baby is different, and especially now I don't think that is something you should worry about. Your little one will probobly drop a lot of that weight when she starts to crawl.
July 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'your breasts put out different stuff depending on why you nurse'. First, how do your breasts know WHY you are nursing at a given moment? Second, how do you even know if you're comfort feeding or 'for real' feeding half the time? It's funny, because I've always read that milk proceeds in a manner that is the same at any given feeding. It starts with the more watery pre-milk, then ends with the thick fatty stuff. Of course, if you feed 15 minutes later--before your breasts have been given time to rebuild their supply--you may have just the watered down substance available. However, over time--your body will accustom to this and begin producing more milk at that time(of both kinds).[/b]
http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html

There is a difference between comfort nursing and nursing for food and YES your body adjusts to this. When Mattea comfort nurses (which she does ALL the time) she gets barely any milk out of me, she basically uses me as a paci. And even though she comfort nurses a lot, and I nurse her to sleep every night, she's consistantly been in the 20th percentile for weight (and the 80th for height) so she is definately FAR from overweight. And a 5 month old baby does not NEED to fall asleep on it's own, it's perfectly fine to nurse a baby to sleep, eventually they will learn to self soothe and put themself to sleep.

To the OP-I think that your NP is full of crap, personally. How much does your baby weigh? Every baby is different, and especially now I don't think that is something you should worry about. Your little one will probobly drop a lot of that weight when she starts to crawl.
[/b]
My daughter can nurse up to 20 times a day still (at nearly a year) and nurses to sleep every time. She is off the growth charts, as in she's too small to register on them any longer. When she eats you can see her gulping, and when she just wants to comfort nurse it looks as if she's chewing.

July 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do see how it is possible to overfeed a breastfeed baby. Yes, I do know a difference between comfort nursing and "for real" nursing. DD until recently, you offer she'd eat. IF she fussed/cried for a diaper and you offer to nurse, she'd nurse. Thats why it is important to learn the babies cries. Yes, BM is optimum nutrition, but overfeeding can happen.

Also, I have to ditto on the chunky baby equals a healthy baby thing....DD is LONG and LEAN. She is proportional in height and weight She is in the upper % for height and the lowest for weight. All within that chart is normal. A lot of doctors will say if a kid is in the 10-15% that the child is underweight and needs to be feed more. I have know doc's to tell parents give the kid ice cream she needs to be fatter, when the child looks proportional-healthy. So "skinny" babies are not all unhealthy. Just as all chunky babies are healthy. Plus, as they get older and more moble they even out. SO I don't worry about the "chart" until they get older or have obvious weight issues.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search