How I fail at parenting

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have forgotten to tighten the straps on her carseat THREE times!!!!! Thank God I haven't been in an accident. I'm also the world's worst burper. I'm always forgetting to burp the poor child.
May 15th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
I have a potty mouth. I could make a trucker blush.

May 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is almost 11 months old and I am struggling to get her to eat anything other than formula and cereal (of the rice/oatmeal variety).

May 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I let the tv babysit for at least a half hour every day so I can get some stuff done.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
donomama
Quote:
I was thinking about the "Mommy Wars" earlier and I thought that maybe if we all admit to something we do/have done in parenting that we feel like sucks it might be a little bit freeing from the angst. After all, everyone does something, right? (Please don't tell me I'm alone in this.)

So, in an effort to free us all, I thought we could have a confession thread of sorts.

I'll start:

I have waited WAY too long to get my toddler off of the sippy cups. She has to take nightly medication and I have kept her on the sippy cups to make it easier for me to give her the medicine. It's all about me being lazy and not doing what I know I *should* do at this point.

Anyone else? Anyone? Anyone?[/b]
Haha - my four year old still drinks out of sippy cups! She knows how to drink out of a cup, I just hate the mess!

Ok, I'll go. I have a bunch!

DD slept with her pacifier until she was 2 years and 11 months. I only made her quit because I was embarrassed to say my 3 year old still took a binky!

I turned my DD around in the carseat to front facing when she was 10 1/2 months old. She was 24 pounds, so I figured it was fine.

I leave my 4 year old in the bathtub by herself.

Neither of my kids slept through the night until well over the age of one (DS, 14 months, still doesn't on a regular basis) and it makes me feel like a failure in the sleep department

Well, there - I'm a bad mom. I hope it made someone feel better. There are more, but that is enough for now.

Quote:
I have forgotten to tighten the straps on her carseat THREE times!!!!! Thank God I haven't been in an accident. I'm also the world's worst burper. I'm always forgetting to burp the poor child.[/b]

Once when we were on a trip, I didn't have the carseat base with me, and out of habit, I just sat the carseat on the backseat - TWICE during the course of the trip!
May 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Okay, more:

DD has been having trouble focusing at school, I know it must be that I have failed somewhere because she has the attention span of a fruit fly.

DS is going blind. I just recently found out that he qualifies for ECI (early childhood intervention), I didn't know, I didn't ask anyone. He could have been getting extra help for months and I didn't find out all of the information.

DS still takes a bottle at night. I just feel guilty taking away that little bit of comfort from him with everything else that is going on with him.

I threaten to discipline DD (loss of privelages, loss of toys, etc) and, a lot of times, I don't follow through. Some of her excuses crack me up (I try not to laugh in front of her) and I can't bring myself to make her sad. And (gasp) I spank, but I think for every thirty times I threaten it, I follow through once.

May 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Quote:
Quote:
I let the tv babysit for at least a half hour every day so I can get some stuff done.[/b]

Um, yeah. 'Bout that one? The same toddler who is STILL wanting the sippy cup is actually watching Finding Nemo RIGHT NOW. In her own room. I even took the DVD player out of one of the cars the other day to put it IN her room. Tonight we're on a sippy cup stand-off and I'm using the TV as her new soother.

I suck.
[/b]

'tis kay. My son (who will be 3 at the end of August) still takes a sippy and a paci. Yup, I'm one helluva perfect parent, lol.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I let the tv babysit for at least a half hour every day so I can get some stuff done.[/b]

Um, yeah. 'Bout that one? The same toddler who is STILL wanting the sippy cup is actually watching Finding Nemo RIGHT NOW. In her own room. I even took the DVD player out of one of the cars the other day to put it IN her room. Tonight we're on a sippy cup stand-off and I'm using the TV as her new soother.

I suck.
[/b]

Okay, I'm even worse. My DD is only 4 months and I sit her in front of Veggie Tales for half an hour so I can shower. I don't do it everyday, I try to mix it up some; one day in the exersaucer, one day under the play gym but I use the TV at least twice a week!
May 15th, 2007, 08:14 PM
donomama
I love this thread!!!!

Ok, here is another one:

I actively tried to get my son interested in TV (Elmo and Baby Einstein) because I realized how easy it was with my daughter to stick her in front of a show to make dinner or get dressed. She naturally was drawn to it. I forced him. I'm <strike>proud </strike>ashamed to say that he now bounces up and down every time Elmo starts singing.
May 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Quote:
I love this thread!!!!

Ok, here is another one:

I actively tried to get my son interested in TV (Elmo and Baby Einstein) because I realized how easy it was with my daughter to stick her in front of a show to make dinner or get dressed. She naturally was drawn to it. I forced him. I'm <strike>proud </strike>ashamed to say that he now bounces up and down every time Elmo starts singing.[/b]
ME TOO! I tried so hard to get my son interested in TV, I even subscribed to Babyfirst TV, I never could figure out why he was not interested. When DD was young, I could turn on the TV and get whatever I needed done, or even just talk on the phone peacefully for a minute. DS is legally blind, I found out, so that would explain his lack of interest in the TV.

DD has had a TV in her room from the time she was 2 years old.

May 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frgsonmysox @ May 15 2007, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>I let the tv babysit for at least a half hour every day so I can get some stuff done.[/b]

I suck.
[/b]

Okay, I'm even worse. My DD is only 4 months and I sit her in front of Veggie Tales for half an hour so I can shower. I don't do it everyday, I try to mix it up some; one day in the exersaucer, one day under the play gym but I use the TV at least twice a week!
[/b][/quote]

Then I feel better admitting that sometimes I used Baby Einstein because I thought it was at least marginally ok if there was classical music involved. I still burn with embarrassment over the time my babysitter complimented me on using baby signs with her. Apparently she learned it from that stupid DVD and I never knew it.

Quote:
I love this thread!!!!

Ok, here is another one:

I actively tried to get my son interested in TV (Elmo and Baby Einstein) because I realized how easy it was with my daughter to stick her in front of a show to make dinner or get dressed. She naturally was drawn to it. I forced him. I'm <strike>proud </strike>ashamed to say that he now bounces up and down every time Elmo starts singing.[/b]
This actually made me gleeful! I am FILLED with glee.
[/b][/quote]

I also never cut DS's fingernails or toenails. He's just too squirmy, so they end up just getting torn off, so they're all jaggety.

I just can't stop confessing!!!
May 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have NOT been able to put my child on a schedule! I'm the most structured, scheduled person in the world. Her inconsistency drives me crazy, so I've given up. She sleeps when she's tired and nurses on demand. This might be remedied if I were willing to spend forever on a nap and nightime routine with her, but something always gets in the way or changes and I've given that up for now too. I hope to regain more control when she is older and wants to read books at night.
May 15th, 2007, 08:36 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers
I know Im supposed to stay away from dairy since Im pumping, but I have an addiction... when I consume too much, she gets gas.

</MARQUEE>
May 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran
I..on more than one occasion..forgot to buckle my daughter in AT ALL when she was very young. Thank the Lord we never got in an accident. My car seat was detachable so I'd bring it inside.. I'd sit her in it just getting ready to go, put a blankie over her and then go pop her in. The blanket prevented me from noticing she wasn't buckled..

I am terrified she is going to get a cavity. It is such as struggle to brush her teeth. She clamps her mouth shut and fights me so hard that brushing her teeth is hopeless. So frequently I just let her 'brush' aka chew on the brush herself. I don't know what else to do.
May 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
My baby isn't even here yet and I feel like a bad mommy sometimes. I forget my prenatals a lot. I also still have caffeine several times a week. I love Dunkin Donuts iced coffee. I just can't help it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search