Safe Havens - Spinoff

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM
donomama
I saw this in the news today:

Quote:
A Japanese drop box for unwanted babies triggered a wave of nationwide soul searching Wednesday, a day after it was discovered a preschooler -- and not an infant -- had been dumped there by his father on its first day of operation.

Nationally circulated newspapers warned that the anonymous drop-off, known as "Stork's Cradle," is open for abuse and could traumatize youngsters. They also condemned the father, saying his action could spur copycats.

The drop-off was opened last Thursday by the Catholic-run Jikei Hospital in the southern city of Kumamoto to discourage abortions and the abandonment of children in unsafe public places. The same day, a boy believed to be 3 was found inside.

The boy, who was in good health, reportedly said he was dropped off by his father, who was seen holding the youngster's hand as they approached the hospital. They apparently rode Japan's bullet train to Kumamoto, but it was unclear where they lived.

"I came with Daddy," the boy was quoted as saying by the Mainichi newspaper.[/b]

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/1...=rss_topstories

How horrible! Do you think this father should get immunity from prosecution, like they do with the newborn safe haven laws?
May 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm speechless.
May 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Ummm...
May 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
First, NO, I do not think this man (I refuse to call him a "dad") should receive immunity. I do not know the laws in Japan, but I would assume it is illegal to abandon a child who is not within the "newborn" age limit.

Second... A drop box? Like what you put books in when the library is closed? I guess it is better than the alternative of having babies dumped just anywhere, but that makes it impossible for the parents leaving the baby to receive the "outside help" that is recommended.

Sometimes I just can't help but think it is a very sad world, indeed.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
How is a BOX a safe haven?! I'm disgusted

I need to ponder this one more.
May 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
One one hand I'm saddened by the fact that a father could just leave his child like that (especially if they had been holding hands prior). On the other hand...maybe the father had abusive tendancies or for some reason just could not take care of his son any more. Sad, yes, but who are we to say he didn't have a well intended reason? I guess I just don't see how someone should be persecuted for leaving a toddler/child and not a newborn. A child is a child and if you can't take care of him/her...then its better to find someone who can. At least the dad did that rather than leave him alone at home forever, or worse...kill him. How many stories have we heard of parents killing their children because they don't know what else to do. I'd much rather see a 3 year old at a safe haven then dead...but that's just me I guess.

May 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^Nope, not just you. I feel the same way. I wasn't going to reply because I haven't look into these safe havens at all so I don't know what the cut-off age is. But if you agree with them for newborns, how can you say he should be charged for turning in a preschooler. No matter what the age of the child, if the parent doesn't know how to care for them, and feels desperate enough to do something like this, don't you think the child may be safer in better hands?

May 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Acadia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
How is a BOX a safe haven?! I'm disgusted [/b]
It's not really a box.

A small door opens in the wall, and you place the baby in a small crib area, which is also heated and completely inside the building. It's just that nobody is supposed to be in the room, so they don't see you.

The door shutting triggers an alarm at the nurses' station. When it goes off, a nurse is sent to go pick up the baby and bring it to the nursery.

"Drop box" is a very bad name for this ... I'm not sure why they call it that in all the articles.

Here's a story on it, and a picture. The nurse is standing outside, dropping off a "baby".

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/...p?itemid=12857

</div>
May 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
How is a BOX a safe haven?! I'm disgusted [/b]
It's not really a box.

A small door opens in the wall, and you place the baby in a small crib area, which is also heated and completely inside the building. It's just that nobody is supposed to be in the room, so they don't see you.

The door shutting triggers an alarm at the nurses' station. When it goes off, a nurse is sent to go pick up the baby and bring it to the nursery.

"Drop box" is a very bad name for this ... I'm not sure why they call it that in all the articles.

Here's a story on it, and a picture. The nurse is standing outside, dropping off a "baby".

http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/...p?itemid=12857
[/b]

Phew! In my mind, I was picturing those clothing drop boxes that are for charity, placed around the city in various locations.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search