Trans fat Ban

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM
donomama
I know this has been done before, but now it is affecting me personally!

A county in my area has just banned the use of trans fats in restaurants, supermarket bakeries and delis. I'm all for health, but I just think this takes things way too far. Bakeries? What are they going to make their icing out of? And I just read that Dunkin' Donuts will be affected by this. I think a warning label or something would be a better suggestion. Why can't government officials let consumers make their own decisions? What do you think of this.

Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews
May 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's ironic that they'll ban trans fats but not cigarettes. I don't eat trans fats or smoke, but come on...let people make their own choices. Doesn't the gov't have better laws to design and implement?
May 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know. I'm still up in the air on this one. Why can't they just insist all use healthier oils (Canola, etc...) like they did with the french fries?
May 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Quote:
"The goal is to protect the public health," she said. "People want to know what they are eating."[/b]

So why not put labels on it?

I'm not "in favor" of trans-fat, but I'm in favor of people getting to make their own decisions...
May 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
"The goal is to protect the public health," she said. "People want to know what they are eating."[/b]

So why not put labels on it?
[/b][/quote]

Exactly.

The difference between trans-fat bans and smoking bans is that smoking affects the health of those around the smoker, not just the person smoking. If I eat something with trans-fats, it has no effect on the person next to me.

There are a lot of things that aren't good for us. Should we ban all of them?
May 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Part of the thing that people don't understand is that trans-fat isn't just a little unhealthy. It's a killer, for real. I mean, what if there was something that was being used in food that they discovered caused cancer. Not everyone would get cancer who consumed it, but maybe it caused a 30% increase in the liklihood of someone getting cancer. Lets say that this additive also added no benefit to the food, no value, other than making it cheaper. Taking this additive out would do nothing to alter the taste of the food. Would you be against a ban on this additive?

Banning trans-fat has nothing to do with obesity or trying to prevent people from becoming fat, it has to do with preventing heart disease which is just as much of a killer as cancer (and trans fat may also increase the liklihood of one developping cancer among other illnesses as well). The trans-fat that is in many products comes from hydrogenated oils. This stuff is used as a substitute for more costly ingredients (such as butter). The only thing it does is make food cheaper and perhaps give it a longer shelf life.

I view banning trans fat the same as banning lead in paint and pipes, and banning the use of asbestos as insulation. All of those things were ingredients that were used because they were cheap and effective. However, it was discovered that they were killing people and there were viable alternatives readily available that would not kill people. Same difference.

Putting a label on the transfat products will not solve the problem. The majority of people who do not understand what transfat is will just look at the label and say "so what? it has fat in it" and then buy it anyway.

The preception seems to be that since it can be used by the body for calories, that it can't be that bad, it can't possibly be any worse than other fats, right? Well, it is pretty nasty stuff. Don't let the media or food companies and restaurants white wash it for you, do your own research.

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

<div align="center"></div>

May 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Part of the thing that people don't understand is that trans-fat isn't just a little unhealthy. It's a killer, for real. I mean, what if there was something that was being used in food that they discovered caused cancer. Not everyone would get cancer who consumed it, but maybe it caused a 30% increase in the liklihood of someone getting cancer. Lets say that this additive also added no benefit to the food, no value, other than making it cheaper. Taking this additive out would do nothing to alter the taste of the food. Would you be against a ban on this additive?

Banning trans-fat has nothing to do with obesity or trying to prevent people from becoming fat, it has to do with preventing heart disease which is just as much of a killer as cancer (and trans fat may also increase the liklihood of one developping cancer among other illnesses as well). The trans-fat that is in many products comes from hydrogenated oils. This stuff is used as a substitute for more costly ingredients (such as butter). The only thing it does is make food cheaper and perhaps give it a longer shelf life.

I view banning trans fat the same as banning lead in paint and pipes, and banning the use of asbestos as insulation. All of those things were ingredients that were used because they were cheap and effective. However, it was discovered that they were killing people and there were viable alternatives readily available that would not kill people. Same difference.

Putting a label on the transfat products will not solve the problem. The majority of people who do not understand what transfat is will just look at the label and say "so what? it has fat in it" and then buy it anyway.

The preception seems to be that since it can be used by the body for calories, that it can't be that bad, it can't possibly be any worse than other fats, right? Well, it is pretty nasty stuff. Don't let the media or food companies and restaurants white wash it for you, do your own research.[/b]
I couldn't agree more! At first I was a bit upset about the ban because it just seemed like another way for the government to control things. Then I learned more about trans fats and how dangerous and unhealthy they are and I began to view it like you do.

I do think it is a bit hypocritical to ban trans fats which technically only effect the person who ingests them but we still haven't outlawed smoking even though that effects not only the smoker but also those around them.

Trans fats are incredibly unhealthy and unfortunately it isn't something that a lot of people are educated about. I have seen tons of packages that say "no trans fats" or something along those lines but no where does it ever tell you what trans fats really are.

May 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
I'm in support of people making their own darn choices. I'm also in favor of "cheaper". The prices of things are already so high...if using nothing but canola or soy oil makes them even more expensive...that isn't going to be good for me.

May 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to brittbratt Send a message via Yahoo to brittbratt
I have done a ton of research on trans fats. They are so bad for you. Some refer to them as poison. I want on a not trans fat diet for about a week Trans fats are in just about everything!!! Except fruits and veggies. I just cant give up my favorite foods, so I am back to eating trans fats. I hope they can find a way to not use trans fat and still make yummy foods!!

May 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm in support of people making their own darn choices. I'm also in favor of "cheaper". The prices of things are already so high...if using nothing but canola or soy oil makes them even more expensive...that isn't going to be good for me.[/b]
Um except the "cheaper" isn't even passed onto the consumer. The company just sees bigger profits. It's cheaper for them, not neccessarily for us. IF they start using non-transfat products, we would see maybe a few cent increase in the cost of the food. Maybe.

Trans-fat is essentially poison, just very slow acting.

For example what if you found out that a large food company was putting rat poison into their breakfast cereal as a cheap additive to reduce costs and extend shelf life of the product, would you want them to keep doing it just so that you have the "option" of buying a cheaper product? Even if they put a big label on it saying "contains rat poison"? Or do you think that maybe rat poison should just be banned as an additive in foods since it kills people and not everyone is educated enough to realize that although consuming rat poison is cheaper, it could eventually kill you. Just because you CAN eat something, doesn't make it a good idea.

In the long run, cheaper isn't always cheaper. Maybe the food is a few cents cheaper on the shelves, maybe. But what about your health care premiums? With a heart disease and diabetes epidemic in the works, you will see higher health care costs and higher taxes. OR what if you get sick from the food? Thats going to cost a pretty penny, even with health coverage. Believe me cities and counties wouldn't be banning the stuff if there wasn't some pretty darned good evidence that it is nasty.

To read some actual information, rather than my ranting, try this for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

Of particular interest is the portion on "Health Risks" and "Public Response and Regulation"

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

May 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(littleln @ May 17 2007, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'><div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(AmberL @ May 16 2007, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>I\'m in support of people making their own darn choices. I\'m also in favor of "cheaper". The prices of things are already so high...if using nothing but canola or soy oil makes them even more expensive...that isn\'t going to be good for me.[/b][/quote]

Um except the "cheaper" isn\'t even passed onto the consumer. The company just sees bigger profits. It\'s cheaper for them, not neccessarily for us. IF they start using non-transfat products, we would see maybe a few cent increase in the cost of the food. Maybe.

Trans-fat is essentially poison, just very slow acting.

For example what if you found out that a large food company was putting rat poison into their breakfast cereal as a cheap additive to reduce costs and extend shelf life of the product, would you want them to keep doing it just so that you have the "option" of buying a cheaper product? Even if they put a big label on it saying "contains rat poison"? Or do you think that maybe rat poison should just be banned as an additive in foods since it kills people and not everyone is educated enough to realize that although consuming rat poison is cheaper, it could eventually kill you. Just because you CAN eat something, doesn\'t make it a good idea.

In the long run, cheaper isn\'t always cheaper. Maybe the food is a few cents cheaper on the shelves, maybe. But what about your health care premiums? With a heart disease and diabetes epidemic in the works, you will see higher health care costs and higher taxes. OR what if you get sick from the food? Thats going to cost a pretty penny, even with health coverage. Believe me cities and counties wouldn\'t be banning the stuff if there wasn\'t some pretty darned good evidence that it is nasty.

To read some actual information, rather than my ranting, try this for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

Of particular interest is the portion on "Health Risks" and "Public Response and Regulation"
[/b][/quote]

Well, apparently the fact that I formula fed my son has considerably caused everyone in the world's health insurance to go up...so I guess since I didn't really see that happen...I'm not too concerned with this either. I still just think when it comes to certain foods...if there's a way to do it (such as encouragement) that's better than banning.

May 17th, 2007, 01:51 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Human rights keep slipping away ..... choice is key
May 17th, 2007, 03:03 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
Quote:
How does having your food contain partially hydrogenated oils a human right?

Seriously, it's not like your food CHOICES will change. The prep will be different. Many of your favorite food items changed the way they prepped it to remove partially hydrogenated oils a long time ago and I'd be willing to bet no one noticed that these companies took away your human right there.[/b]
It is taste. They do not taste the same. They already ruined my Dr. Pepper changing the formula now they are messing with my french fries ... grrrrrrrrr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search