Prince Harry NOT going to Iraq

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Veteran
The news just said he's not going--but didn't state the reason.. Does anyone know? Because if he is held out because his life is more 'valuable' than everyone elses, well.. that's just sickening.
May 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of people believe he will be much more of a target because he is such a "celebrity", so having him there compromises his safety and the safety of the other soldiers.

May 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I agree with Laney. It's honestly safer for the rest of his company if he isn't there. I'm glad he isn't going.
May 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Veteran
Oh ok, I hadn't been following the story. That makes sense, but I don't really see how-when he's wearing BDU's and looks like everyone else--they would recognize him. I have trouble recognizing my own hubby in a sea of soldiers.
May 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
I think a lot of people believe he will be much more of a target because he is such a "celebrity", so having him there compromises his safety and the safety of the other soldiers.[/b]
That's what I think too. I'm thinking everyone would be trying to take out the prince and make the headlines.

Quote:
Oh ok, I hadn't been following the story. That makes sense, but I don't really see how-when he's wearing BDU's and looks like everyone else--they would recognize him. I have trouble recognizing my own hubby in a sea of soldiers.[/b]
I'm sure they have their own form of intel and if they couldn't target him individually they could target his platoon (or whatever they call the group of soldiers) and then they would all be in more danger.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
When my hubby was over there the "bad guys" would toss little bombs at the base (I forget what he called them) but they were often being woken and told to get into protective gear. Oh yeah mortars they were called. Anyways, they would just toss them at random - but if someone famous were there, I'd imagine wherever he was could become a challenge target.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
donomama
SHOCKER!!!! When they said he was going, I knew he never would. I think it was just the royal family trying to get good publicity and show their support for the war by saying "See, we'll even send our own son."
May 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would rather him stay at home and us not be a target... Mortars are launched at bases regardless of who is on the base... They launch those just for fun I think... crazy insurgents... they sit and launch them and then run... cowards I tell you... but I think he did a great thing volunteering to go... he should the world his support. I am supportive of the British... they help us out alot

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
SHOCKER!!!! When they said he was going, I knew he never would. I think it was just the royal family trying to get good publicity and show their support for the war by saying "See, we'll even send our own son." [/b]

THAT IS NOT TRUE! HARRY WANTS TO GO!!! HE SAID SO WHEN HE SIGNED UP! The Royal family is hardly that disgraceful. You know that the family stayed in London, in Buckingham Castle during the raids in WWII to be with the people? To suffer the same fate of their people? ((oh I'm so angry at that assertion the Royal family is doing nothing more than making a "good publicity" stunt))

Quote:
Prince Harry will not be sent for military duty in Iraq because of the excessive risks it would bring to him and his squadron, the head of the army said today.
"I have decided that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop leader with his squadron," General Sir Richard Dannatt told reporters.

Sir Richard said he had travelled to Iraq in the past week, learning of "a number of specific threats - some reported and some not reported - which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual".

"These threats expose not only him, but also those around him, to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable," he added.

It is likely to dismay Harry, who had made it plain that he wanted to see active service.

Some reports suggested he would quit the army if he was not allowed to serve abroad in a war zone. However, Clarence House today said he would not be leaving the military.

"Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troops on this deployment as he had hoped," a statement said.

"He fully understands and accepts Gen Dannatt's difficult decision and remains committed to his army career. Prince Harry's thoughts are with his troop and the rest of the battle group in Iraq."
[/b]
source
May 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM
7/07Mommy
Harry is an adult, and it was his decision to go, not his family's. I truly believe he wanted to go. Both of the princes seem to have good characters, and I don't think this was a publicity stunt. My DH has been to Iraq, and his first comment when we heard that Harry was going was, "That is going to compromise the safety of his fellow troops." I believe that is the one and only reason that Harry is no longer going.

Edited because I quoted the wrong post!
May 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
SHOCKER!!!! When they said he was going, I knew he never would. I think it was just the royal family trying to get good publicity and show their support for the war by saying "See, we'll even send our own son." [/b]

THAT IS NOT TRUE! HARRY WANTS TO GO!!! HE SAID SO WHEN HE SIGNED UP! The Royal family is hardly that disgraceful. You know that the family stayed in London, in Buckingham Castle during the raids in WWII to be with the people? To suffer the same fate of their people? ((oh I'm so angry at that assertion the Royal family is doing nothing more than making a "good publicity" stunt))

Quote:
Prince Harry will not be sent for military duty in Iraq because of the excessive risks it would bring to him and his squadron, the head of the army said today.
"I have decided that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop leader with his squadron," General Sir Richard Dannatt told reporters.

Sir Richard said he had travelled to Iraq in the past week, learning of "a number of specific threats - some reported and some not reported - which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual".

"These threats expose not only him, but also those around him, to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable," he added.

It is likely to dismay Harry, who had made it plain that he wanted to see active service.

Some reports suggested he would quit the army if he was not allowed to serve abroad in a war zone. However, Clarence House today said he would not be leaving the military.

"Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troops on this deployment as he had hoped," a statement said.

"He fully understands and accepts Gen Dannatt's difficult decision and remains committed to his army career. Prince Harry's thoughts are with his troop and the rest of the battle group in Iraq."
[/b]
source
[/b]

Wow ! I hit a hot button!!! I have no doubt that Harry wanted to go. However, I think the rest of the family either figured the war would be over or they would just not let him go. They knew from the beginning how dangerous it would be for him to go (for the others). They didn't just decide that last week that he should't go. And I don't think the royal family is in any way, shape or form the same as they were during WW2.
May 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Personally I am glad he is not going for the safety of his fellow soldiers. Every single one of them would be a target because any one of them could be the prince. I do not think his wanting to go was a publicity stunt at all. I'll be he's mad he isn't going after all. But that decision was a smart move IMO and not for saving Harry's butt.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Raela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a good decision. It's not just him that would be at more risk, but his whole platoon(or whatever they call it.. lol). I think it's great that he wanted to go and all, but safer for everyone if he didn't.

Thanks
~*I:Makerinces*~ for my awesome siggy!!
May 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I commend him for wanting to go but I'm glad that he isn't going. I am sure he'd be a red hot target over there which would only further endanger everyone else. If one of the Bush twins was in the military I'm sure we wouldn't go sending them to Iraq for the exact same reason.

May 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
However, I think the rest of the family either figured the war would be over or they would just not let him go. They knew from the beginning how dangerous it would be for him to go (for the others). They didn't just decide that last week that he should't go. And I don't think the royal family is in any way, shape or form the same as they were during WW2.[/b]
Really? What do you think they are doing that is just for publicity then? Why are they so different? Do you know the current queen, who was a princess at the time, was also in London during the Blitz? Has she somehow changed? How is the Royal Family different?
May 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
However, I think the rest of the family either figured the war would be over or they would just not let him go. They knew from the beginning how dangerous it would be for him to go (for the others). They didn't just decide that last week that he should't go. And I don't think the royal family is in any way, shape or form the same as they were during WW2.[/b]
Really? What do you think they are doing that is just for publicity then? Why are they so different? Do you know the current queen, who was a princess at the time, was also in London during the Blitz? Has she somehow changed? How is the Royal Family different?
[/b]

I did know that actually. I'm just not really fans of the royals. I think the way Diana was treated (mainly by the queen) was horrible, I can't stand Prince Charles, and are we talking about the same Prince Harry that thought it was funny to dress up as a Nazi for Halloween a couple of years ago?
May 18th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
I did know that actually. I'm just not really fans of the royals. I think the way Diana was treated (mainly by the queen) was horrible, I can't stand Prince Charles, and are we talking about the same Prince Harry that thought it was funny to dress up as a Nazi for Halloween a couple of years ago?[/b]
If you know all that, why do you think the Royal Family is different? You still haven't answered the questions.
May 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
I did know that actually. I'm just not really fans of the royals. I think the way Diana was treated (mainly by the queen) was horrible, I can't stand Prince Charles, and are we talking about the same Prince Harry that thought it was funny to dress up as a Nazi for Halloween a couple of years ago?[/b]
If you know all that, why do you think the Royal Family is different? You still haven't answered the questions.
[/b]

To be honest, I don't know exactly how the royals were in WW2, just what I have read in history books. They weren't under the media scrutiny that they are today. So, I guess they could have been exactly as I perceive them to be today. I just don't, for one minute, think that any of them (except Harry himself) actually planned on sending him to war.
May 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Ms.Michelle
Quote:
To be honest, I don't know exactly how the royals were in WW2, just what I have read in history books. They weren't under the media scrutiny that they are today. So, I guess they could have been exactly as I perceive them to be today. I just don't, for one minute, think that any of them (except Harry himself) actually planned on sending him to war.[/b]
If I said that the Bushes were cowards and do nothing but for publicity, I don't think you'd be too happy about it. I can't believe you'd just paint that brush of the Royal Family without some kind of facts. If you want to talk about what Harry did two years ago (which he apologized for and it was accepted by the British Jews,) then I would happily bring up the mistakes that the Bush twins have done. But then they didn't sign up for service, did they?
May 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
donomama
Quote:
Quote:
To be honest, I don't know exactly how the royals were in WW2, just what I have read in history books. They weren't under the media scrutiny that they are today. So, I guess they could have been exactly as I perceive them to be today. I just don't, for one minute, think that any of them (except Harry himself) actually planned on sending him to war.[/b]
If I said that the Bushes were cowards and do nothing but for publicity, I don't think you'd be too happy about it. I can't believe you'd just paint that brush of the Royal Family without some kind of facts. If you want to talk about what Harry did two years ago (which he apologized for and it was accepted by the British Jews,) then I would happily bring up the mistakes that the Bush twins have done. But then they didn't sign up for service, did they?
[/b]

People say it all the time - if the Bush twins were in the service and then not sent over, I can only imagine the things people would be saying about it. As it is, I can't tell you how many times I have heard people speculate that if Bush and other Washington politicians had sons in the military, that this war never would have even been started. Why is that ok, but it's not ok for me to say that no one ever had the intention of actually letting Harry go to war? What's the difference? Does it make me a bad person to not like the royals?

ETA: And for the record, No, I don't think Harry should be figthing in Iraq.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search