Are you shocked?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
bubblesispreggers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to bubblesispreggers

I am totally shocked by some of the things I read in the parent failure thread. I will not single out anyone or repeat the things that shocked me but I just have to say that some of those things that were mentioned have me upset.

Were any of you shocked or appalled by the things other moms posted in that thread?

PS- Im not talking about the accidental things, either. Accidents happen and there's not much you can do to prevent them.

</MARQUEE>
May 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
No, I think it is therapuetic to see that none of us are perfect, infallible parents or, even, people. It was actually a relief to "absolve" myself a bit and see that others have some skeletons in their closets. I didn't see anything shocking or outrageous, just parents unburdening a bit and pointing out that we are not perfect.

I think you missed the point of the thread.

May 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Quote:
No, I think it is therapuetic to see that none of us are perfect, infallible parents or, even, people. It was actually a relief to "absolve" myself a bit and see that others have some skeletons in their closets. I didn't see anything shocking or outrageous, just parents unburdening a bit and pointing out that we are not perfect.

I think you missed the point of the thread.[/b]

I got the point of the thread. I just can't hold back the shock I got from reading some of the posts. I know none of us are perfect and it is nice to be able to admit our faults without risking bashing from other moms. That is exactly why I didnt "call anybody out." I'm not trying to bash anyone at all. I just figured that maybe someone would share my POV in being surprised by some of the replies to that thread.

</MARQUEE>
May 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I thought the whole point of the thread was to show that we all make mistakes or choices that may not have been the best but that we don't have to put people down for that. Unless you (general) are a perfect parent and have always made the best decisions then you (general) have no right to judge someone else's decisions, mistakes, or choices.

May 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
LaceyMommy2B
im a bit shocked by a FEW..not the accidents. however, my daughter is only 6mos old.. i may not be so shocked once she is older n i have to or just want to break a few rules. at this point, im by no means-PERFECT.. but im way too overly cautious and have a VERY good baby.. i havent had to break many rules at this point (besides forgetting a diaper when running to the clinic n accidentally bumping her head when getting her out of the carseat)! im waiting my turn to forget something important or do something wrong. if not with Gracey, im sure ill have it rough with the next one and wont have any room to be shocked!!
May 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I am totally shocked by some of the things I read in the parent failure thread. I will not single out anyone or repeat the things that shocked me but I just have to say that some of those things that were mentioned have me upset.

Were any of you shocked or appalled by the things other moms posted in that thread?

PS- Im not talking about the accidental things, either. Accidents happen and there's not much you can do to prevent them.[/b]
Oh get off your high horse... your daughter is still young right... most of us make mistakes. My daughter watches TV... OH and its educational... Yup I am a single mom who lets her daughter watch TV ... OH and I will have a glass of wine in front of them if the mood persists... AND she has had 6 homes and she is only 5... She has moved 3 times from country to country.... The thread was shown to say we're ALL yes ALL including you not perfect

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 16th, 2007, 03:42 PM
donomama
I may have been shocked if I read these things when I had just a newborn, like the OP. At that point in the game, I still thought I could be a perfect parent.... Very little shocks me anymore. As for appalled, I would have been appalled had I read anything abusive going on. I didn't see anything like that. I agree with Stacey that this was a very therapeutic way for us to see that no one is perfect. I felt great after posting there..... until I read that others might be judging me for forcing Elmo on my son (I know you didn't point to anyone in particular, but it does open it up for everyone now to wonder if it's them).
May 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Girl Elmo is our best friend here... Livie loves him... it gives me shower time!!!

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not shocked at all. Trust me, when you have 4 children over the infant stage (bar one) you can pretty much relate to it all.
May 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Quote:
I may have been shocked if I read these things when I had just a newborn, like the OP. At that point in the game, I still thought I could be a perfect parent.... Very little shocks me anymore. As for appalled, I would have been appalled had I read anything abusive going on. I didn't see anything like that. I agree with Stacey that this was a very therapeutic way for us to see that no one is perfect. I felt great after posting there..... until I read that others might be judging me for forcing Elmo on my son (I know you didn't point to anyone in particular, but it does open it up for everyone now to wonder if it's them).[/b]
Yeah, it only takes one judgment to ruin it for everyone, right?
[/b]
I have several more mistakes to post in the other thread. Hold on to your britches, ladies, they are going to be doozies!

May 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
What I find "shocking" is that there are SO MANY duplicate responses. which really only goes to show that somethings, even though some may find them horrible, are normal. It takes time to get used to a routine with children. And just when you get used to it...they change up on you.

So, I'm "shocked" that someone would be "shocked".

May 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I know none of us are perfect and it is nice to be able to admit our faults without risking bashing from other moms. That is exactly why I didnt "call anybody out."[/b]
By starting a thread like this, you're doing just that. You might not have named specific names, but anybody in that thread can assume that you're talking about their anecdotes, and that stinks. Many of us put answers in there because it was a "no judge" zone. Nobody debated anything, we just admitted that we're not perfect. Just because you posted this in another thread, doesn't make it any less judgemental.
May 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Obviously, I'm not perfect. I posted in that thread, too. I was just voicing my opinion because I thought others might share that opinion-- which they do. I'm not judging anyone or riding on that high horse you speak of. I seriously am shocked by a few of those replies and there are a few things posted that I couldn't even imagine doing to my child but I'm not holding it against anyone. sheesh

</MARQUEE>
May 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
chloe82
THIS THREAD SUCKS!!! The other one was all in good fun, it was cathartic and kind of a relief to post our mistakes and see other moms' "mistakes" as well....no mom is perfect, our moms weren't perfect, no mother in the future will ever be perfect, and it's OKAY! Seriously, that thread was just a fun way to take the lid of the pressure cooker of the Mommy Wars.....yeah, now of course I'm wondering if I'm one of the ones who caused "shock" and what it was I did that was so horrible....good thing I don't really care though....I think everyone who posted in there is a great mom, (myself included) we all do our best to get through each day raising our kids and I think a little bit of honesty and a sense of humour can really go a long way. Keep the other thread alive!!!
May 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Obviously, I'm not perfect. I posted in that thread, too. I was just voicing my opinion because I thought others might share that opinion-- which they do. I'm not judging anyone or riding on that high horse you speak of. I seriously am shocked by a few of those replies and there are a few things posted that I couldn't even imagine doing to my child but I'm not holding it against anyone. sheesh[/b]
So if you aren't holding it against anyone...why bring it up in a new thread? I guess that's what a lot of us don't get. And believe me, just because you can't "imagine" doing some of the things posted...doesn't mean you eventually wont.

May 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, I'm not perfect. I posted in that thread, too. I was just voicing my opinion because I thought others might share that opinion-- which they do. I'm not judging anyone or riding on that high horse you speak of. I seriously am shocked by a few of those replies and there are a few things posted that I couldn't even imagine doing to my child but I'm not holding it against anyone. sheesh[/b]
So if you aren't holding it against anyone...why bring it up in a new thread? I guess that's what a lot of us don't get. And believe me, just because you can't "imagine" doing some of the things posted...doesn't mean you eventually wont.
[/b]

Well, the major thing that is sticking out in my mind that was posted in that thread I will NEVER EVER do to my child. No doubt about that.

If you(general you) don't like my opinion you don't have to continue participating in my thread. I'm not trying to force you to agree with me.

</MARQUEE>
May 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Obviously, I'm not perfect. I posted in that thread, too. [/b]

Erm, you confessed to eating dairy.

Shocking!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search