What my mother did to me

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2007, 05:54 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Well we have all confessed to our own mistakes, poor decisions, accidents, insecurities, and such I thought it'd be nice to share some of the things that we have survived. Since some people seem to think that these indiscretions or mistakes will surely cause incredible harm I thought maybe we could share some of the mistakes that our own mothers made and that we somehow seemed to live through.

One time my mom forgot to put sunblock on me and we spent the whole day out in the sun. I got terrible sunburn and sun poisoning.

Sometimes when my dad worked the late shift my mom, brother, and I would eat junk for dinner while sitting in front of the TV.

May 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
My mom went to Jazzercise on Thursdays and left me with my dad, so I got McDonald's for dinner on those nights.

My mom let me watch a large amount of television and I'm no idiot I got a quite higher than average score on the SATs.

She also left me with a sitter from 5 weeks on, who I loved dearly.

She only BFed me for 6 weeks as she had to return to work. (She lasted longer than I did, lol)

I had a pacifier til I was 7. She ended up paying dearly for that with the cost of braces and orthodontic work, but my teeth are still horrible.
May 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
My mom broke a wooden spoon over my bum. I don't hold it against her

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm keeping a tight lip on this one... there is at least one JM member who knows my mom.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents bought my sister and I whatever we wanted (pretty much, within reason) and both of us have an incredibly strong work ethic and don't expect handouts as adults.

My mom did not cook and worked 12 hours a day some days so we got a lot of mac and cheese, hot dogs, spaghetti and fast food.

I watched a ton of TV and played a ton of video games, as much as I wanted, there were no restrictions (I graduated my Master's program with a 4.0, so I'm not so stupid either).

I witnessed a lot of fights between my parents and was often pulled into the middle.
May 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
My mom never breastfed me.

My mom used the CIO method.

I watched a ton of TV and have yet to turn into a vegetable.

May 16th, 2007, 06:24 PM
irishxrose
My mom used the CIO method and FF me AND let me watch tv for ungodly hours of the day, and I have yet to turn into an obese vegetable.
May 16th, 2007, 06:30 PM
donomama
My mom knew nothing about nutrition whatsoever. I grew up on frozen fish sticks (from a box), mac and cheese (from a box), and sugar cereal for breakfast. She also doesn't know that exercise is a good thing. I've learned both those things on my own and am pretty healthy now.
May 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM
tevinsangel
My mom let me play in our kiddie pool and ride my bike during thunderstorms
My mom let me roam the neighborhood
At the age of 7 or so, I could walk around Wal-Mart or sit in the kid's book section and read while she did her shopping
I hardly ever went to the doctor (just the required and routine shots)
My dad pulled a tick out of my eyelid once, he also drilled a small hole in my fingernail when I smashed it, to ease the pressure
Once, I fell asleep with my contacts in and my dad insisted that it was still in my eye and dug around in my eyeball with a eyeshadow applicator (that was brand new at least) before finally breaking down and taking me to the optometrist (who said it must have fallen out, I later found it on the floor)
Once my dad got so mad at me for sassing my mother, he took a baseboard and backed me against the wall and hit the wall next to my head with the baseboard while yelling in my face - I still think he was wrong for this but he has never apologized
But I have survived lol
May 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
During our summer vacation from school my brother and I kept fighting about everything. We were driving my mom nuts. My mom made us go out to play and then locked the door behind us. She left us out in the yard for a couple of hours. She could see and hear us the whole time though.

Now that I think about it I really don't blame her. My brother and I were really being a PIA.

May 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
I ate dinner in front of the TV or in my bedroom at least twice a week after 4th grade.

There are more things, but this thread is supposed to be about things that didn't affect us, and well... those did.
May 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm named Lisa because they didn't know if I'd be able to spell my name
They tried to sign me over at the hospital so they didn't have to pay my bills if I died
My dad was playing with me and throwing darts at my feet and he hit my toe. B) It bleed for a long time
My dad accidently shut my sister neck in the van sliding door. She was fine.
My mom admits she had children to do chores around the house.
my mom refused to let us watch t.v.

May 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM
My dad and I were playing frisbee one time and he threw it really hard and I missed it. It hit me in the face and gave me a black eye.

My dad bought firecrackers one time. He took my brother and I out in the backyard to set them off. He thought it'd funny to put them in this hollowed out tree. The tree caught on fire and then he tried to blame us!

May 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
* I grew up watching lots of tv and learned to read thanks to Sesame Street (gotta love phonics).
* We had soda pop with our dinner
* I was FF, wore dispoable diapers, had babysitters, and went to daycare
* I fell down a flight of cement basement stairs when I was 1yr, and had other various accidents growing up (I was a clumsy child and I swear I had my own seat in the waiting room at my local ER! Heck...I'm still clumsy and accident prone)
* I started doing the laundry and dishes when I was 10yrs since my mom had 4 kids and the youngest was just born
* our car broke down when I was 2 and my dad forgot to put my boots on my feet and we had to walk in the snow to get help (he carried me but I'm sure I was still cold)
* I didn't have any friends until I went to daycare because my parent's were the only ones in their group of friends to have kids ,and we lived in an appartment at the time so there were no kids to play with
May 16th, 2007, 07:24 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
My Mom was overprotective enough that I never stayed the night at anyone's house.
I have watched HBO and MTV since they began
I read romance books (with sex scenes and all) since age 9. Oh and did not have sex until 20.
Forced to sit at the table for dinner but never ate dinner.
Dad used the belt (only when extremes happened) and Mom used anything she could grab to spank.

and I have no regrets about my childhood.
May 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My Mom was overprotective enough that I never stayed the night at anyone's house.
I have watched HBO and MTV since they began
I read romance books (with sex scenes and all) since age 9. Oh and did not have sex until 20.
Forced to sit at the table for dinner but never ate dinner.
Dad used the belt (only when extremes happened) and Mom used anything she could grab to spank.

and I have no regrets about my childhood.[/b]

Oh yea, that reminds me....my dad had me watching "Poltergeist" at age 4. It's still one of my favorite movies. I was also FF after a month, my parents used CIO and I was born in a hospital, delivered by an OB and I am 99% sure my mom used meds for the delivery.
May 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
LaceyMommy2B
oh Lord.. ok when i was about 3mos old, my mom left me with a sitter, she and my dad assumed the sitter was about 18 or 19 judging by looks..the sitters mom called and invited my family to the sitters 12th bday party.

they used to hold us in ther lap at some water park n let us ride down the huuuuge slides with them!

(not my moms fault but..)i wasnt BF like my other sisters, and mostly fed water...i refused the boob n threw it up when i DID take it...did the same with formula..i had to come in once a week to be weighed cause if i got too low, id have to be given an IV! i have a horrible immune system, but i lived!
May 16th, 2007, 07:45 PM
donomama
When I was 3 my dad let me drive a go-cart on the street in our neighborhood. I crashed into somebody's shed.

When I was 6, I broke my leg while skiing. My dad put me in the infirmary and finished skiing for the rest of the day. (My mom still hasn't let him forget that one)
May 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Veteran
My mom yelled a lot and went overboard with physical discipline.
I -to this day- do not believe I will ever meet her standards.
My mom told me I needed to lose weight/had a bulge/had a double chin at least 5 times a day. Oddly enough, I wasn't really overweight.
My mom encouraged and practically begged me to wear makeup starting in 8th grade because she thought I needed it.
My mom failed both of her marriages.
I didn't have much growing up.
The first words out of my mother's mouth when she found out I was pregnant "Uh. I thought you were going to finish school first". She even implied that if I miscarried it would be a good thing.

ETA: Frequently states "talk to me when you have a master's degree like I do"
May 16th, 2007, 10:24 PM
chlodoll
My Mom is so overly cautious and protective of children I really dont have anything!

I used to pretend to be sick ALOT when I was in school and my Mom would always let me stay home even when she knew I was fine.
We only ate as a family at Christmas otherwise we sat at the coffee table infront of the TV
I pretty much lived off pasta and grilled cheese because I refused to eat anything else
I had a TV in my room since I can remember
I slept in her bed till I was 11!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search