Mom leaves toddler alone to go clubbing! Should she get him back?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: WDYT?
She should get her child back with CPS monitoring 3 13.04%
She should be charged with the misedmeanor, leaving a child unattended. 2 8.70%
She should be charged with the felony, reckless abandonment 18 78.26%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 12:23 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Basic story is last saturday night in Seattle, the mother left her 3 year old in a car in a parking lot while she went clubbing nearby. He got out of the car and was found wandering cold and scared downtown. Should the mother get her child back? Should she be charged with leaving a child unattended, a misdemeanor, or reckless abandonment, a felony?

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW...W.7635dc13.html
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...lostkid15.html

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 17th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Gina1978's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I deffinately think that she should be charged with reckless abandonment!
I have a friend who divorced a little while back and it was her x-husbands turn to have a weekend with his little girl,and he actually left her at home whilst he went out clubbing (after she was asleep).She was all alone and the poor thing woke up in the middle of the night to a dark empty house and was terrified.Her screaming woke the neighbours and they called the police who broke into the house and took her back to her mother..the father no longer has visiting rights.
I thought that was bad,but leaving a child in a car!!?? That child could have been hit by a car (being as he was wondering the streets) and killed and I can only imagine how scared he must have been.
What person in their right mind does something like that to a 3 year old?

Thank you SO much for my new siggy Julia (Julka)!

May 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She should be beat... I swear women like this piss me off... No responsibility to their children... Out ho'ing around and HER kid is in the car... Yup another dirtbag mom...

Thank you Jacquie for the beautiful siggy!

Getting ready to do what I do!!!! One day at a time! Protecting your freedom!
May 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i voted for the last one....she should not get her kid back..... if she can afford to go to a club like TRINITY then she should be able to afford a *$%# sitter.....grrr ppl like her make me so angry.

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07
May 17th, 2007, 04:57 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
My vote is the unpopular one. It has been shown that children removed from their home are more likely to suffer abuse, neglect, and trauma in foster care... Removing the child should be absolutely the very last resort. What she did was incredibly selfish and stupid, and I think she should be charged with the misdemeanor offence. But if this is the only evidence they have against her, I do not believe it is enough to remove the child from his home.

BTW- the article mentioned he had some "bruising". I have never seen a boy over the age of learning to walk that was not buised in at least one place.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I voted for felony. I can't believe they gave him back right away! IMO, she should have been required to do more than a safety plan. She should have had to undergo counseling/rehab/supervised visits in order to get custody back!
May 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
My vote is the unpopular one. It has been shown that children removed from their home are more likely to suffer abuse, neglect, and trauma in foster care... Removing the child should be absolutely the very last resort. What she did was incredibly selfish and stupid, and I think she should be charged with the misdemeanor offence. But if this is the only evidence they have against her, I do not believe it is enough to remove the child from his home.

BTW- the article mentioned he had some "bruising". I have never seen a boy over the age of learning to walk that was not buised in at least one place.[/b]
I'm reluctantly inclined to agree with you. I don't believe she deserves to get her child back, but that little boy deserves to keep his mother, if that makes sense.
On the local news they said she would be closely monitored and follwing a parenting plan and that she had some tasks to complete, that if she failed to meet those requirements they would remove the child. I also think she should be charged with the misdemeanor, so if it happens again it is not her first offence. The news also said his minor bruising could have been from falling down as he stumbled through Pioneer Square - poor little guy. I shudder to think how terrified one of my children would be in that situation

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
May 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

BTW- the article mentioned he had some "bruising". I have never seen a boy over the age of learning to walk that was not buised in at least one place.[/b]
I actually voted with you here. My initial reaction was to vote for felony, but it was a gut reaction. After serious consideration and a lot of thought, I agree with you. What this woman did was really, really, really, REALLY bad. I can agree with everyone on that. But taking away the children should be the absolutely last resort. If this was a "first offense" then I think she should keep the child with A LOT of supervision for a LONG time.

Sharon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search