Faking Retardation

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I just read about this on Comcast's website. A woman was recently sentenced because for many years she forced her son and daughter to fake retardation in order to collect benefits for them.

Here's the story.
http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index...fakereatrdation

I don't think that punishment was harsh enough! I think that is a completely sick and twisted thing to do. I think that on top of the punishment she received she should have to do community service with people who truly have some form of retardation. Maybe that will help her gain an understanding and appreciation for what those people actually go through.

Ugh people never cease to disgust me!

May 18th, 2007, 12:26 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
The link wouldn't work for me so I couldn't read the article.

How can you force children to fake retardation? I guess if they were older it would be easier but I would think younger kids wouldn't be able to keep up the act.

</div>
May 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The link wouldn't work for me so I couldn't read the article.

How can you force children to fake retardation? I guess if they were older it would be easier but I would think younger kids wouldn't be able to keep up the act.[/b]

i cant read the link either.

i also want to know how you could get a child to fake that.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17360272/

Here's another link to the story. Evidently the kids were 4 and 8 when she hatched this "brilliant" scheme. Her kids are adults now and her son has also been charged... they haven't yet located the daughter.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
That just made me want to laugh! How ridiculous do you have to be to make your kids act retarded? I mean ***?
May 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know why the link won't work. It works for me. Thanks Jhmom for posting another one.

I still totally think that at least the mother should have to work with people who have some form of retardation (maybe through ARC or another program). Maybe that will help her gain some sensitivity and perspective. I think it is awful that her children were forced to do that.

May 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Well obviously the children (who are now adults) thought it was a good way to make money because they kept doing it after they were grown up! It mentioned in the article that the two 'children' would have to pay back part of the money to the government.
May 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I do think that the kids (adults now) do hold some responsibility. They can't even find the daughter. I wonder if she is still pulling the scam or if she has disappeared in order to get away from her mother who used her.

May 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
This disgusts me too. My SIL's family collects benefits on her little brother because he is supposedly autistic. I do believe the child has some form of behavior disorder or possibly RAD or an ASD, but I don't know if it is classical autism, which they are claiming. He doesn't have any issues with social interaction, he has no difficulty communicating and he honestly seems like an average little boy who acts out in anger sometimes. My MIL has even overheard SIL's mother encouraging the behavior and riling him up when his social worker was on her way over.

I think the woman in the story should be forced to pay back the total amount of benefits she recieved, and she deserves a prison sentence for fraud. I have no sympathy for a mother who sees her children as a way to make money. It's sickening.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search