teenagers and cars

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves??

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with???

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast??

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed????
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

May 18th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves??

I will not buy my child a car. That's something they should do for themselves. It's a huge responsibility, and I think the best way for them to learn about that is to realize just how much goes into paying for and maintaining a car.

We would be glad to help them shop for one, cosign for a loan, or maybe pay for part of an inexpensive, safe used car (and therefore have a say in what he or she gets). But I wouldn't buy one for my child outright - it's not a necessity in most cases, and they can borrow one of ours if they desperately need one.

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? See above.

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? See above.

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed??? See above. (But if they buy it for themselves, they can get whatever they want as long as it's safe.)
May 18th, 2007, 05:42 AM
donomama
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves?? I will probably help out, but I will expect them to put down a large chunk of their own money as well.

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? I don't believe in buying brand new cars for myself and my husband, so I definitely don't believe in buying one for a teenager.

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? No, they'll get a sensible, safe car

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed???? Yes
May 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves?? My teens will have to buy their first car themselves.

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? I would HIGHLY recommend my teen buy him/herself a used car.

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? NO!!!

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed???? I think that would just be asking for trouble, not to mention outrageous insurance costs.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 18th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Yes, and No.

Our plan right now, is when DH's truck dies in 2-3 years, buy a car with the intent of it being Hailey's first car - or the car she learns to drive in at the very least. DH isn't fond of used cars and niether am I because of the unknown past history and personal experiences with used cars. If that doesn't work out, if she is a responsible teenager, I would not mind cosigning, helping with payments, matching what she has earned, or something similar.

Above

Probably not. Sports cars tend to cost more, and there are equally if not safer cars that don't cost as much. Also, insurance costs are higher for sports cars, not to mention a teenager driving the sports car [ouch]. Also, most teenagers I know remind me of "fast and the ferious" movie, and jsut have a desire to drive fast [and I've done it myself ], I can see how having a sports care could fuel that desire.

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed????
I don't think its wrong - its up to the teenager/parent to decide what car is best for the child.
May 18th, 2007, 08:20 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Quote:
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves?? I would probably help out but I wouldn't buy the whole car. My parents paid for a little less than half of my car and I wasn't allowed to buy anything expensive.

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? Used, I don't believe in new cars for teenagers. My first car was 14 years old!

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? Absolutely not!

Yes, I hate seeing teenagers racing around in Mustangs and other fast cars.[/b]

May 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
In what possible scenario would it be in the child's best interest to drive a souped up sports car???? I got in enough trouble with a Nissan hatchback! (I had two speeding tickets and a ticket for running a red light by the time I was 17. )

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you buy your teenager a car when they could drive, or would they have to buy it themselves?? I would consider buying my teen a car, but they would need to have a job. They won't just be "given" a car and not expected to help out financially with it.

Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? If we can afford a new car, I have nothing against that.

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? HE11 no!!!

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed???? Yes!
May 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
rdhdtrue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rdhdtrue
I will buy the boys a car (not anything special and actually probably a boat) when they are old enough. They will be responsible for insurance and gas. I would love to get one of the monitoring systems on it. We shall see.

Never would I buy them a brand new car and nothing set up to go fast.
May 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends, with what he does all day. If he does his studies, in sports, volunteering, working or always on the go I will buy him his first car honestly not for him but for me.
Would you buy your teenager a new car or used to start with??? He would get a very cheap used car to get from point A to point B and back if he wants anything else he'll have to buy it. He'll pay his own insurance.

Would you buy your teenager a sports car that is designed to go fast?? Nope

Do you think that it is wrong to buy a teenager a car that is designed for speed????No that's what the parent wants to do if they have the money fine.

May 18th, 2007, 08:50 PM
*kyle*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would prefer to allow the teenager to use one of our cars, for instance if we had an older car at the time the kid learned to drive, then we'd buy a new one for the parents and he/she can use the older one. It would not go under the child's name unless he/she bought it from us for a fair (but discounted - I'm not a witch!) price. If the child wanted a car of their own, then a safe, slow (lol) used car would be the choice.

In any case, the teenager would be responsible for gas, and at least part of insurance depending on the situation.

May 19th, 2007, 01:49 AM
the_elmel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to the_elmel Send a message via Yahoo to the_elmel
Yes. I will buy my teenager a vehicle when they reach the legal driving age only if they prove to be responsible.

It depends. My three brothers got used cars and I got new cars. My Mom wanted a more reliable vehicle for me and she figured new was the way to go. I think my decision will be based on whether they deserve the new car or a used one.

No. I'm not opposed to a "sporty" car but I don't want my 16 year old drag racing.

It depends. What will they be using it for? My brothers had sporty cars but wanted to look "cool" instead of going fast. I think it's wrong to buy a teenager a fast car if they intend to race people.

</div>
May 19th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will probably match whatever my child earns for their car

I would buy my child a used car, but I would make sure that it's a dependable vehicle

probably not, but I'm not definetly saying no

I think it can be a bad idea, but it depends on why the kid wants the car.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search