Shettles was (apparently) wrong! Timing goes the other way. Please share!

Forum: Trying to Conceive a Specific Gender

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Trying to Conceive a Specific Gender LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
OMG ladies I have to share what I just read.

We have two girls and would love to have a boy for #3. So I read a bunch of books – some said don’t bother swaying, but most (like TCOYF) said Shettles works – even got Shettles’ book (along with a lot of other people – the cover says it’s sold 1.5 million copies!)

Then I got this new book called The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant (which is soooo funny and has a lot of great info). The author does research herself & did her own analysis of all of the studies on timing and getting a boy vs. girl. Turns out Shettles isn’t just ineffective – the studies find that the opposite timing works better! Shettles says sex close to ovulation for a boy and far away for a girl, but the best studies find that sex close to ovulation is more likely to result in a girl!

She has a whole appendix on how Shettles got it wrong – I guess his statistics come from letters from his readers instead of a real study. Of course a lot of people who got the “wrong” gender wouldn’t write in, so the stats would be skewed.

And when I looked back, both of our DDs were, as far as I can tell, from the day of ovulation. So now I know what I have to do to sway for a boy! I love having two girls and think two girls and a boy is the perfect family.

(Plus it makes me kind of mad that Shettles sold all of those books and it doesn't work!)

Anyone else hear about this book (Impatient Woman) or this technique (close for a girl, far for a boy)? Anyone else have day of O girls like me?

Last edited by Seabiscut3; May 2nd, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
May 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Dreamsinpink2010's Avatar expecting princess #2!!!
Send a message via AIM to Dreamsinpink2010 Send a message via MSN to Dreamsinpink2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscut3 View Post
OMG ladies I have to share what I just read.

We have two girls and would love to have a boy for #3. So I read a bunch of books – some said don’t bother swaying, but most (like TCOYF) said Shettles works – even got Shettles’ book (along with a lot of other people – the cover says it’s sold 1.5 million copies!)

Then I got this new book called The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant (which is soooo funny and has a lot of great info). The author does research herself & did her own analysis of all of the studies on timing and getting a boy vs. girl. Turns out Shettles isn’t just ineffective – the studies find that the opposite timing works better! Shettles says sex close to ovulation for a boy and far away for a girl, but the best studies find that sex close to ovulation is more likely to result in a girl!

She has a whole appendix on how Shettles got it wrong – I guess his statistics come from letters from his readers instead of a real study. Of course a lot of people who got the “wrong” gender wouldn’t write in, so the stats would be skewed.

And when I looked back, both of our DDs were, as far as I can tell, from the day of ovulation. So now I know what I have to do to sway for a boy! I love having two girls and think two girls and a boy is the perfect family.

(Plus it makes me kind of mad that Shettles sold all of those books and it doesn't work!)

Anyone else hear about this book (Impatient Woman) or this technique (close for a girl, far for a boy)? Anyone else have day of O girls like me?
I got pregnant with both girls with a 1 day cut off and same with my boys

4 wonderful and handsome princes's, 1 princess and 1 more princess on her way! Due September 9th 2010!!!
Lacey Faith Margaret Leilani- September 13th 2010 9:19am 6 pounds. 3 oz
TTC our 3rd pink bundle

May 3rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Timing doesn't make a difference to me. My first son was conceived with a DTD on day 19, ovulation day 23, and my second son DTD on day 14 and 16, ovulation day 17.

3 beautiful boys, ages 8, 4 and almost 8 months!
Diagnosed with PCOS, conceived first son on first round of Clomid. DS #2 conceived on 2nd round of Clomid, 3rd son conceived on 3rd round of Clomid. TTC #4 through IVF.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again--September 2014?
May 3rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Interesting -- these examples seem to fit what's in the Impatient Woman book!

One day before O produces an equal number of boys and girls (so that fits Dreamsinpink's kids and Mindy's second boy). But 2 or more days before O tilts toward more boys, like Mindy's first boy.

I also found this site that looks like it's based on one of the studies mentioned in the book (Google "New Zealand study gender")
May 4th, 2012, 12:32 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
My first son was a question mark...I don't know when I ovulated exactly. But according to my periods and general ovulation time, he was conceived the day after I ovulated. So it was a "late catch."

My second son was a day before. I ovulated on the 12th and we DTD on the 11th.

I really, really am finding it seems more random than not. There seems to be no true way to tip the odds on ones favor either way, unless you go for higher tech methods.
May 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Keshlia0866's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm.... That is interesting because I am trying sooo hard for a little girl right now. In looking back to my pregnancy charts... My first son I have no clue he was a surprise. My second son and third son were conceived on the actual day of O. I BD the night/morning (midnight etc) of the day of O and both of mine were boys. But I assumed it was because I DTD at O time which produces males.

How can a female beat out a male to the egg if you wait to dtd on O day? Aren't males faster than females? I am confused But I would like to know....
May 9th, 2012, 10:35 AM
The book (Impatient Woman) says that if you look at all of the studies, it is close to random -- maybe 55% girls close to O. But the best studies, like the New Zealand one, find more like 80% girls close to O (that's when there's only one BD during the fertile time).

As for the boy sperm swimming faster -- either that's a myth, or in actual practice that doesn't matter. The book says it might happen because day of ovulation embryos often miscarry, and boys are more likely to miscarry than girls. (This was another useful tip I learned from the book -- the day of ovulation is NOT the most fertile!)
May 9th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hmmm... That is crazy! Ok... I need to readjust my method then. When looking back on my previous charts that I conceived... I bd the day before O and mine were boys. Naturally I do not know when my actual egg dropped... LOL! But in both cases the doctor stated I conceived the day AFTER O. But I knew my O date based off of temping. But that was the only time I BD with my last two boys. So I am not sure how to adjust my timing to sway for a girl. I assumed I had boys bc I had sex close to o.

Any suggestions?
May 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know that I'd trust timing at all. My first son was conceived the day of ovulation, second son was day before, first daughter was day of, and this baby I'm carrying now was day before and we just found out the other day she's a girl too.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
I don't know that I'd trust timing at all. My first son was conceived the day of ovulation, second son was day before, first daughter was day of, and this baby I'm carrying now was day before and we just found out the other day she's a girl too.

That is good to know. So in reality there is probably no way to actually help in swaying one gender over another. It's crazy because the cycles that I have bd more days in a row leading up to ovulation and did not on the day of ovulation... I never go pregnant. The times when my schedule was crazy and only got the one bd in because I knew I was about to O I got pregnant. However, they were both boys. Not that I do not love my three roudy boys but a little pink would be nice.
May 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I would love to have another dd but after all my reading and research I have yet to find one thing that hasn't been proven to fail. I decided that I will get what I am supposed to get. I will pray for a little girl but if she's not in the plan then I will be more than happy to give little Isaac a healthy baby brother.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
May 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
The book goes through all of the research on at-home techniques for gender selection. It's true that none of the at-home techniques tilt the odds *that* much, but I guess it can't hurt, right?

Here's the basics for a girl:

-- sex close to ovulation
-- eat fewer calories
-- eat more dairy

for a boy:
-- sex far from ovulation
-- eat more calories, especially breakfast cereal
-- eat more potassium

But you're so right -- you have to go into it knowing you could get either one. (We are -- we'd like a boy after our two girls but a third girl would also be loved).
May 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscut3 View Post
The book goes through all of the research on at-home techniques for gender selection. It's true that none of the at-home techniques tilt the odds *that* much, but I guess it can't hurt, right?

Here's the basics for a girl:

-- sex close to ovulation
-- eat fewer calories
-- eat more dairy

for a boy:
-- sex far from ovulation
-- eat more calories, especially breakfast cereal
-- eat more potassium

But you're so right -- you have to go into it knowing you could get either one. (We are -- we'd like a boy after our two girls but a third girl would also be loved).

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will love any baby that I am blessed with but I would love a little pink. But I will try this and see what happens!
May 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hello moms who are to sway the gender of their next bundle of joy the diet helps you got to get ur ph level of ur cm above 5 boy below 5 girl. Girls like acidity inviorment boys like alkaline inviorment. So buy some ph test stripes full range 1-14 to test ur cervical mucous (cm) also test dads sperm ph. Cm for girl should be about 4.5 and dads should be about 7.0. For a boy cm should be 6.0 and dad should be 8.0. I didn't write this but i read it and im trying for a girl . You can purchase the stripes on ebay for about 4.00$. Do the diet at least one month to change ph. Good luck. For more info just look it up on the internet . Its not 100 percent but why not try.
May 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtwo5boys View Post
Hello moms who are to sway the gender of their next bundle of joy the diet helps you got to get ur ph level of ur cm above 5 boy below 5 girl. Girls like acidity inviorment boys like alkaline inviorment. So buy some ph test stripes full range 1-14 to test ur cervical mucous (cm) also test dads sperm ph. Cm for girl should be about 4.5 and dads should be about 7.0. For a boy cm should be 6.0 and dad should be 8.0. I didn't write this but i read it and im trying for a girl . You can purchase the stripes on ebay for about 4.00$. Do the diet at least one month to change ph. Good luck. For more info just look it up on the internet . Its not 100 percent but why not try.

What is the diet for a girl? I have looked into it but I have read so many different things... I'm not sure which is right!
May 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Diet should be low everything. You should eat 1500-1800 calories per day, and if you do incorporate dairy into your diet, it should be low fat. Skim milk, reduced fat cheese, ect. Your body wants to be in the "time of need" mode, so if you can even lose a few pounds before you conceive, it should increase chances of a girl.

3 beautiful boys, ages 8, 4 and almost 8 months!
Diagnosed with PCOS, conceived first son on first round of Clomid. DS #2 conceived on 2nd round of Clomid, 3rd son conceived on 3rd round of Clomid. TTC #4 through IVF.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again--September 2014?
May 17th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Here's the study on low calorie diets tending toward girl -- this is the one mentioned in the Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant:

You are what your mother eats: evidence for maternal preconception diet influencing foetal sex in humans

The book also points out the possible flaw in the study: That it asked pregnant women to remember what they ate around the time they were TTC. Tough to remember what you ate 3-4 months ago.

The study finds that the food most linked to boys was breakfast cereal. I guess I'll keep eating my cereal this time ... even though that's what I had for breakfast the past few years, when I had two girls! But can't judge just on my experience. And again, can't hurt to try it.
May 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks!
Anything is worth a try!
May 18th, 2012, 05:58 AM
H_Hplus1's Avatar Supermom to 6
I thought about swaying for a girl but as I'm older I feel I could totally hurt my chances of getting pregnant at all. If you go to the web site "ingender" you will find tons of info plus peoples experiences in an easy to understand layout of info. Warning ...you may stay there awhile reading...lol ...GL

Jace Allan 7 lb 3 oz, 20 1/2 "

My other beautiful children and precious baby Grandson!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search