Keratosis Pilaris

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
shannon.conti's Avatar Super Mommy
Has anyone ever heard of this before. They say my daughter has it and there really is no cure, she just has to deal with it. I just feel so bad she is 15 months old and her arms legs and face are covered in bumps to the point where on days when shes really inflamed its almost embarassing to take her around other children. It is not contagious or anything but poor thing sometimes looks like a crap with how many bumps she has. Anyone ever heard of this or know any way or reducing flare ups? Thanks in advance
October 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM
mommablogger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told that I have it, though mine aren't really raised, they're like little blood spots under the skin. I was told to use an exfoliant (my dr. said that the St. Ive's apricot scrub I was using was actually good for the keratosis as well). I don't know if you can use that on babies though, so maybe a homemade scrub of some sort that would be gentler.

You might want to ask about a light hydrocortizone cream for the days that it's red.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

December 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Reagan has it. It is genetic but nobody in my or Dh's family has it as severe as Reagan. She has it on her cheeks, arms and legs and it looks like little bumps some actually have a little white spot in them like acne looking but I read not to squeeze them. We tried tons of creams and went to a pediatric dermatoligist, who said there is really nothing we can do. they do believe it improves with age but we have seen the most improvement in the summer even though Reagan didn't spend much time outdoors??? Not sure why. There are some Urea creams that you can use but since it doesn't bother Reagan (it's just cosmetic) we are going to wait it out until she is older.

There is an over the counter Eucerin Cream that has Urea in it. We tried it but it never helped. There is a support group online somewhere that I came across.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

January 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Hope you don't mine my jumpin' in...

My daughter, Gabrielle has it as well. =) She saw a Dermatologist about it just 2 weeks ago.
This pediatric dermatologist told us it was important to bath her every day, or every second day, that using a wash cloth directly on her skin with a mild soap or a loofa was good. To pat her skin dry and use the moisturizer before dressing her. He told us the Severe Dry Skin formula of Eucerine was fine. But honestly, I've found that it's so oily, and it's hard to get it into her skin because it's so thick! I've been using a J&J Shea & Coco Butter Formula and that seems to be working.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
June 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
BrittneyLA's Avatar Mom of three boys!
My son has it!! Along with his Aunt and his Daddy. His is mainly on his upper legs and arms. I use a sensitive lotion and exfoilate once a week. It doesnt seem to help though . He only gets it on his cheeks in the winter months.
September 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have this on the backs of my arms, my thighs and my butt (hehe). I just use an exfoliant on my arms. There's no cure, but it's not a bother either, just ugly. My best friend who studied esthetics said it was a form of eczema.

October 12th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just saw this and figured I'd update. My Reagan had this since about 6mths of age. At around 1 she got the KP dx and it was at it's worst (the doc said a moderate case). She still has it on her legs and arms but not on her cheeks any more. Her legs and arms are much better than they were. It really does seem to improve with age. She is almost 4 now.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

May 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM
sharita's Avatar Veteran
I have had it my whole life as well as my mother and my kids. So far, I am the only one who has it severe. Mostly on my legs. I have it on my arms but they clear up a lot in the warmer months when my skin isnt as dry.

I have found that a combination of exfoliation and deep moisturization is the best way to improve it though I have never had to go completely away. Also, exfoliation would be hard on a toddler. I dont have any on my face but a few ppl that I have spoke to that do have used alpha and beta hydroxy acid gels and lotions with success at ridding the pores of excess keratin.

paula's choice brand is awesome for these and you can get them in gels or creams. I use them occasionally and love them for my complextion.

I also use theraplex brand lotions. They have this liquid lotion tha smooths on so easily right after a bath when your still damp and gives the same moisture a body oil does but is NOT greasy to the feel at all. They also have a much more intense emmoilient but its thick and semi greasy. They have a midrange hydralotion I have heard good things about but haven't tried.

Student midwife and Homebirthing mama to the brady bunch! (3 boys, 3 girls)
January 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hi Shannon, I've had kp start showing up since I was 13 or 14. I have over the past few years found some things that have helped me get rid of my kp bumps (I used to get them on the arms and thighs). You should take comfort in knowing that as your little one gets older, they'll be able to keep their kp in check with certain daily routines (plus more and more research is now being done on keratosis pilaris then ever before!)

Since some people see their kp get worse from an undiagnosed allergy to dairy products or gluten, you should try to have your child go gluten free and / or dairy free for a week or two to see if either of these improves the condition at all.

You should find some kids fish oil supplements, yes they make them for kids because the adult ones are huge pills (and some make you have nasty tasting burps). Also, try to limited the amount of sun exposure and always use a high SPF sunscreen. Also, exfoliate at least twice a day and use a non-greasy moisturizer 3 or more times a day.

Good luck, I really hope this helps!
January 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have dealt with this for as long as I can remember and have tried many different treatments without success. A few years back I was watching Gillian McKeith's "You are What you Eat" and she was talking about how EFAs (essential fatty acids) really help clear up KP and so we should be eating more healthy fats such as avocado and olive oil. I figured it couldn't hurt and starting eating avocados and replaced all my regular cooking oils with olive oil. For the first time in my life, I have smooth skin I have had smooth skin for years and if I notice any KP bumps forming, I go buy some avocados and my skin smooths back out. It is an awesome feeling to have smooth skin after so many years LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search