Question about ECZEMA

Forum: Skin Disorders

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aidan just recently got eczema..just over a week ago now. It has not let up since then, probably getting worse each passing day. I'm just wondering at which point will it start to look better? I've been told that it can be several months. Is that true? How long am I suppose to use the hydrocortisone cream for?
February 10th, 2009, 06:52 AM
mommablogger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest struggled with the worst of it for about 6 months. He's only recently gotten to the point where his cheeks are only red, and not scabby or anything. It can take a while for the meds to start working, and sometimes you need to change the meds as well as detergents, baby soaps/lotions, etc.
Visit my Blog! Homemaker's Guide To The Galaxy
Visit my Etsy Shop! BeStitched

February 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The hydrocortisone (per our dermatologist) should have cleared up most of the eczema after four days. If it isn't working, you may need a slightly stronger Rx. I don't know what else you've been trying, but here is what worked for us..

- We bathe her once a day for 5 - 10 minutes (key is not to let them get pruny) in tepid water but only use soap 3x a week or if she is particularly dirty.

- Within five minutes of bathing, we moisturize her with Glaxol Base (cheapest at Costco) to trap the moisture next to the skin. Spot treat the eczema with hydrocortisone. If her skin is particularly bad we use Aquaphor on her skin. Petroleum products are better for eczema than lotion because lotion doesn't have the same staying power / protection. You have to be careful though because some children are sensitive to petrol products. Sooo - we use petrol for breakouts but lotion base for regular maintanence.

- Use non scented laundry products.

- Keep your home cool and use a cool mist humidifer in baby's room - important in winter. We also used an air purifier - keeps down on dust, dander (if you have pets) that can aggrevate the condition. We also try to make sure we moisturize her skin before taking her out in cold weather.

- We are very careful about the bathing products we use. Right now we are testing Burt Bees. We tried all the brand name "gentle products" like Aveeno and it didn't help a bit. So, we are trying to stick to products that contain as few chemicals/additives as possible.

- Cut down on the stuffed animals around baby - especially in the bedroom. If your child's skin is really bad they suggest putting the stuffed animals in a bag in the freezer once a week.

- Change bedding frequently and make sure to use hot water. We also vaccum on a daily basis (but we only have one carpeted room).

That's all I can remember right now. I hope your LO feels better soon. I remember taking our daughter to emerg once she was so badly inflammed. It's frustrating when it takes so long to improve. Winter is particualrly rough on their skin.

February 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
what i found works best for my sons eczema is calendula cream. California baby makes some, but it can be hard to find in the store. I tend to order it online...here is a link

April 8th, 2009, 01:39 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's a good idea to be sure that the foods that you typically get Vit E from are prevalent in your LO's diet - since lack of Vit E can cause eczema. Vit E is typically found in foods such as wheat products/whole grains, wheat germ, dark leafy greens, eggs, nuts, etc. Here is a good chart on some of the better sources:

You can absolutely supplement Vit E in infants & toddlers if you need to...here is an excerpt from an expert in the subject:

Vitamin E will ensure that fatty acids are maintained at optimum efficiency once they are absorbed into cells. In addition, vitamin E has anti-inflammatory effects and increases resistance to infection. Use only natural vitamin E (d-alpha-tocopherol), not the synthetic form (dl-alpha-tocopherol). A mixed tocopherol form of vitamin E is best because children need the gamma as well as the alpha forms. An appropriate dose is 100 mg for children under two and 200 mg for children aged 2-12.[/b]
source (the whole article is great & is about immunity boosting holistically)

About the author:

Randall Neustaedter OMD, LAc, CCH
Dr. Neustaedter has practiced homeopathy and oriental medicine for over 25 years, specializing in child health care. An accomplished and well-recognized author, he has written The Vaccine Guide: Risks and Benefits for Children and Adults (North Atlantic Books, 2002), a book that helps consumers make informed choices about vaccination. His new book, Child Health Guide: Holistic Pediatrics for Parents (North Atlantic Books, 2005), represents a state of the art guide to raising children with natural medical care. He can be reached through his extensive website at Cure-Guide.com .

View all articles by Randall Neustaedter OMD, LAc, CCH[/b]
I think any of our holistic-minded mommas will love Dr Neustaedter if they haven't already heard of him.

Anyway - Vit E deficiency can cause eczema. It can also irritate it even if it doesn't cause it in your particular situation. Ezcema (as you probably know) is most common in children that have food sensitivities. It is unknown if it is only a reaction to their sensitivities or if some of it is caused by the difference in diet many children with sensitivities have... My LO just developed eczema recently & we have tried several different things to try & figure out why (and so far we have had some good luck). I have switched to rotating oatmeal & epsom salts in his bath which seems to help some (although not as quickly as I would have liked). I am now also working on getting him to sleep in lighter clothing (he tends to be a sweaty sleeper & he sleeps with us, so that doesn't help cool him any & sweaty sleeping can bring it on). Also I have read that being in the tub until "pruny" is bad for it...and I have gone to using Cetaphil as a cleanser, either in the bath, or on a non-bath day we use it as a "lather" and then just wipe him off. I also started using Neutrogena fragrance free hand lotion (looks more like a salve) at that same time & I am seeing some improvement from that....when it is more "active" I use aquaphor.
I don't know if any of that helps anyone else - but it seems to work for us.
B - Crazy momma to my two boys
We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters. ~Gloria Steinem

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

May 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM
My son got his onset of eczema at 6 months old. He had it all over his body head to toe. He would itch all night and never get sleep. His skin would bleed and crack and he was always in pain. After many trips to the dermatologist and hundreds of dollars in medication to fight it we found out that the best thing for his skin was plane old petroleum jelly. Four to Six months later after applications every day he is living comfortable with the occasional itch. Don’t get me wrong steroid cream can bring some short term relief but it thins out the skin and can make it worse if used for long periods of time. My suggestion is to use the steroid cream for a few days to kick the bad stuff and follow up with Vaseline and clothing until it’s under control. Also Hylira Sodium Hyaluronate 0.1% witch is very expensive or Cetaphil which is a better price are the best lotions to use if you want a lotion. Hope this helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search