Keratosis Pilaris and Soy Milk

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Guys. I am new here and really could use some advice.

My daughter Audrey started developing a rash on her legs about 4 months ago. The pedi originally thought that she was flushing out a virus of some sort. Told us to wait it out. We did, and it only got worse. Went back to the doctor to see if it could possibly be a milk allergy. She said no, told us to wait it out. Did this little dance one more time, then ultimately went to a dermatologist.

Two weeks ago, our visit to the derm concluded that it was Eczema. It has developed, over the last four months, into little bumps (some with white heads) completely and totally covering her cute little legs (mostly the front). It is more mild on her arms and face and ears but still relatively bad. It's so horrible that I worry people think she might be contagious.

Anyway, the derm prescribed us a steroid cream which originally made it red and inflamed. I diluted it with some Cetaphil lotion and the redness went away but the bumps were worse than ever. I went back to the pedi to see if he would refer us to an allergist. He said that b/c it was only on her legs and arms (not her tummy or back) that it wasn't a food allergy.

Well, I just don't buy that. She has always been a fussy baby, always spit up an enormous amount. She was breastfed until she was 6 months and was then switched over to Gentle Ease formula. Until about 3 months ago, she was spitting up everything. That has stopped.

So, I have decided to take this into my own hands and switch her over to Soy Formula. She is now 11 months old. We switched cold turkey yesterday and she tolerated it ok. The rash on her legs looks a tiny bit better.

So, my questions are...

-Is Soy bad for babies?
-Do you think that Soy has anything to do with Eczema or Keratosis Pilaris (are these the same?)
-Should I have her tested for allergies despite the doctor saying no?

SO confused. SO frustrated. The rash doesn't itch or anything, it's more an aesthetic thing. Any help that you can provide would be SO appreciated!!

PS - Sorry so long winded!!
October 14th, 2009, 09:19 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Keratosis pilaris and eczema are not the same thing http://www.keratosis-pilaris.com/what.php

keep up with the derm, we just got a new Rx today for Sam's KP and other skin issues and I'm already lovin' it.

our derm said that KP and eczema CAN be worsened by food sensitivities (Sam is lactose intolerant and allergic to sweet potatoes), but it's trial and error to figure it all out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search