Ezcema - How to keep from scratching?

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DS, 4, has had ezcema since birth. We know his ezcema is made worse by food allergies so we try to be very careful with that. But no matter how much we lotion him and keep him moisturized, he keeps on scratching. If we catch him scratching and remind him not to scratch, you will see his hands gravitate to scratch again moments later. But those times are at least manageable since I or his older brother can see him and remind him not to. The worse is when he is on the potty with his legs exposed. He will sit there and scratch like crazy, scratching off existing scabs, making his legs worse. I cut his nails, file his nails. I don't know what else to do, short of sitting there watching him everytime he goes on the potty. Does anyone have any tips or advice as to how to get him to stop scratching so that he can at least give his legs (and other parts of his body) to heal?

Tia,
Jenn
February 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran
DD has eczema from food allergies too. still haven't figured out how to get her to stop scratching. so my post isn't helpful, but know that there is someone else out there looking for the same answer as you.

Dylan loves school and anything to do with learning (counting, reading & math). This spring he started another season of soccer, as well as playing Tee Ball for the first time. He new favorite toys are Transformers & WWE Wrestling figurines. He loves to color and be artistic. He's currently finishing Kindergarten.

Delaney has eczema due to allergies. She's Egg-Free, Wheat/Gluten-Free, Peanut-Free & Citrus Fruits-Free. She's lefty and the rest of us in the house are righty. She loves Yo Gabba Gabba, Pinocchio, Princess Snow White, Aurora, Belle & Care Bears. We're currently working on potty training, but it's not going well......

March 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was totally hoping for some good advise here - All I can tell you is I'm 31 - COVERED in eczema and I can't stop scratching I thank god my baby doesn't have this!
I have one idea for you for on the potty - give him an ice cube (or ice pack) he can rub on the eczema. It feels as good as scratching - AND it actually reduces the inflammation and numbs the skin for a bit. If he gets to DO something it's a lot easier than NOT doing something. HTH!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 30th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My advice is to cut out what is triggering the eczema, like allergies.. I know it's hard. Or another option is to do a bleach bath.. Ask your Ped or Dermatologist about it..

My son had severe eczema since birth.. It was so bad it would weap yellow/clear fluid.. I found his trigger, it was soy.. I cut the soy out and it went away.. My son also has egg and peanut allergy.. So. I know how hard it is to cut food out.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 30th, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
February 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use CVS anti-itch cream on the itchy spots (it's like a generic Benedryl cream) when I see my son scratching. Also cut his nails every single day.
February 10th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Many times it's caused by the lotions and soaps we use. Just by cutting out the chemicals we can eliminate eczema. A company called Keys soap has a great anti-itch spray, it's all natural no chemicals for immediate relief...all their products are great. If it's dry eczema using olive oil 2xs daily will heal it. Not sure about wet eczema though. There are many all natural soaps, just make sure to read the ingredients and then use a site like skin so deep, it will help with indentifying what's truly ok and what's not. A shower water filter for the shower/tub to get rid of the drying chorine is very beneficial as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search