Newbie here

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have already posted in all the most recent threads lol.

My son started having skin problems around 8 months old--so, long before drinking whole milk. The ped, for the longest time, said it was "just" dry skin and I needed to use more lotion. Back then it was just on his legs--mostly feet, shins, behind the knees. After he had bleeding open sores we finally started trying various prescriptions, none of which have really worked. Then he started getting it on his arms, tummy, and under his eyes. He has red circles under his eyes and looks pitiful. We use cetaphil wash/cream, coconut oil, Vit E oil, homemade laundry detergent and it will clear up and look better for a while and then another flare up comes along and it looks worse than ever.

I have not yet tried any elimination diets but have seriously been considering it. I have done a bit of googling and think I should check dairy/soy/wheat (in that order) but I know it will be hard to constantly check labels. Anyone done this and have any tips for me? I think it would be much easier to have tests done to tell me what he IS allergic to, rather than experiment to find out, but the ped won't do the tests, so I'd have to find a different dr. willing to and was told by my insurance that I'd probably have to pay OOP for the tests. And I will, if I have to. I don't want him to have to deal with this for the rest of his life, whatever I can do to help, I will. He is almost 2 now and I kept thinking, if we use this or that it will eventually go away....yeah right. I am considering removing the carpet from our home as well.

My nephew (so his first cousin) was born having very sensitive skin so the dr. recommended switching to soy formula and I guess his skin has improved. Our ped never suggested that, and I have read that kids that have issues with dairy often have issues with soy as well, among all the other negative stuff about soy. But, obviously if I do the elimination diet, I will have to take him off his regular (dairy) milk and wondering if I should go with Coconut, or should I try Soy to see if that causes a flare-up? Any advice appreciated!
February 7th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi there

My advice for you is to get an allergy test to avoid the run around. Pay out of pocket if you have too.. You don't have to do the skin test, but the blood test (It's cheaper from my experience). Or ask your Ped to send a referral to a allergy and asthma doctor. Insists on it! Remember you are advocating for your son! Go doctor to doctor if you have too

I'm a mommy to an allergic son who had to jump through hoops to find out what was going on with his allergies.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 7th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
February 7th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's the problem, our ped won't give us a referral. He considers himself a one stop shop and tells everyone that he is right and you don't need a second opinon. And unfortunately it's difficult for us to change Primary Care Physicians with our insurance, which is why we are still with him. He doesn't think that the eczema/psoriasis is a big deal, and we should just keep using steriod cream and cetaphil and get over it. He doesn't think we need to do allergy tests, but IMO it would be soooo much easier to just do it, and know one way or another, rather than do the elimination diets. But, I've come to accept that if the dr. won't help me, I can do the elimination diet on my own--it's my kid and ultimately I am the one responsible for his well-being, not the ped. I would LOVE to get a new ped, and am still working on that, but we only have a small window of open enrollment when that is possible and during that time, the insurance company fiddles around wasting time with paperwork and then the enrollment period is closed and too bad, so sad. Blah.
February 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry your getting the run around. It's sad when doctors refuse to help even when the parent have concerns.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 7th, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
February 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
After more researching, I realized it would be easier to eliminate dairy/soy/egg/wheat from his diet all at once to see if there is improvement, then slowly add them back one at a time so find the culprit, rather than eliminating each one at a time. So, since Thursday we've tried, and not cut them out completely b/c DH doesn't always remember and gives him something, and we were out of town for the weekend and he had bday cake and ice cream, but he has had very limited of each of those--drinking coconut milk in place of his regular, and extra fruits and veggies. We found several cereals that don't have any of those (Lucky Charms is one, would you believe?!) that are good for snacks. And I really do think I can see a difference. His arms and eyes have pretty much cleared up. His legs and feet were his worst areas and that's still there but I do think they are looking better! We will probably keep this diet for the next couple weeks and see if we can get his skin completely healed, and then try to narrow down the culprit(s). I think I could handle limiting his dairy since he does like the coconut milk, and we can buy yogurt, frozen yogurt, etc. made with coconut milk. I would have to start making vegan cupcakes for him! If it's egg, that would be pretty easy too. But wheat and soy I find, are in soooo many things and either one of those would be harder to avoid. Guess we'll just have to see.
April 8th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Update: We did the elimination diet for several weeks and his skin cleared up nicely, then all of a sudden it came back worse than before. I sort of threw my hands up. I put him back on dairy after that, b/c it was the hardest thing for us to avoid, but kept the rest limited. Now he is pretty much eating everything. But, we were finally able to get a new ped, and a referral to see an allergist on Tuesday. So hopefully we will have the tests done and see what he's allergic to. He is also going to be put on antihistamines, and we are trying two new prescriptions in the meantime.
June 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM
How is everything going? Did you find the culprit food?

My son is currently on a Gluten, Casein, Low sugar, soy, milk, egg, and peanut free diet. He still has eczema flare ups. We are currently waiting for his IgG test to come back from Florida which is looking for food sensitivities.. I'm curious to see what food may be causing this.

July 5th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana's Mommy View Post
How is everything going? Did you find the culprit food?

My son is currently on a Gluten, Casein, Low sugar, soy, milk, egg, and peanut free diet. He still has eczema flare ups. We are currently waiting for his IgG test to come back from Florida which is looking for food sensitivities.. I'm curious to see what food may be causing this.
Well he's been seeing the allergist for several months now--first visit there, he diagnosed him with asthma and he did both the skin AND blood tests, no questions asked. Out of 72 pricks, he came back allergic to mildew and ligustrum. No foods! The allergist said the extent of his eczema suggested he should be allergic to more things, so he wanted to double check with the blood tests. Did that...his IgE was abnormally low, which he said could indicate an immunodeficiency, so we did more bloodwork to check. I worried so much about that, googled and read horrible stuff. Luckily, the new test results were "ok" but we have to repeat the test in 3 months. At that time, he's actually going to repeat ALL the tests, so the skin and everything, all over again. He says that he still may be in the developing stages of allergies, so next time some things could show positive that were negative before. He set us up with medications to get the asthma under control and explained how that should in turn help with the eczema.

So we have a bunch of prescriptions now. Albuterol, pulmicort, and singulair for asthma, then several steroid creams for the eczema, and several liquids for the allergies. Some of these make him nauseated and feverish, so we've been in and out of the ped's office as well for that. She gave us zofran for the nausea. Last appt. he had a severe double ear infection, and the allergist said that was due to the allergies. It seems like every time I turn around it's something else, and just b/c they put him on all these medications it hasn't necessarily gotten better. IF we use the steroid creams 3x a week, there is some improvement but we are only using it once a week b/c of the risks. Basically just enough to avoid infection...doing bleach baths to help with that as well.

In a way, I think it would have been easier for the test to come back showing he was allergic to foods. And in a way not! I know it's miserable having to check labels constantly, and especially having to deny a child food that all his friends are getting. So for now, we don't have to worry about that. We can do absolutely NOTHING about the ligustrum--we don't have any on our property but it's in the air everywhere. We removed the carpet in our living room but not all the other rooms. It's costly and we keep having other financial burdens. We've had several water leaks here so I'm assuming there is mildew in places we don't see. I would love to move to a new home and start fresh but we just can't afford to right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search