Introducing myself

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! My name is Amanda and my 14 month old daughter is named Ava. Since turning 1 year old in March, she has had eczema flare-ups on her hands, wrists, and feet. She has rough patches other places and little red bumps that cover her body sometimes, but those areas have been terrible on and off since March. We talked with the the pediatrician at her 12 month appointment and he told us to see a dermatologist. We went, and I wasn't too happy with that dr. He gave us a steroid creme that I was a bit hesitant to use daily...and recommended we see an allergist. We did and that dr. said the only way to tell if it is flaring up because of a food allergy was to put her on a restricted "elimination diet". I really wasn't willing to do that...but we tried cutting milk and all dairy products out of her diet for a few weeks - saw no change - so we went back on them (she didn't drink or eat anything soy in that time - picky girl - and lost weight, so we didn't want to continue for too long) and I didn't see it get any worse when we went back to dairy. So, finally, we got an apointment with at PEDIATRIC dermatologist who was great. This is what she said...let me know if you agree/disagree if you've had experience with eczema - especially in babies:

First, she prescribed creme for spots that are mild, a stronger creme for the really bad spots PLUS an anti-bacterial creme for the broken skin to ward off infection. She said use Vanicreme mixed with Vasaline from head to toe at every diaper change. We have done the Vanicreme, but not Vaseline - I'm trying to protect my furniture LOL!

She said bathe once a day for 5-10 minutes and always wash hair. The best soap to use is a non-soap, non-allergenic, something. I can't remember what it's called. She said Aveeno is okay, but not as good because you can't wash hair with it - and we should use the same thing on her hair/scalp as we do her body. She said get rid of the Gentle Naturals/Johnson stuff - anything made for babies probably has some scent added to it.

Second, we are to give her Zyrtec in the morning, Benadryl before her nap, and the full day's dose of Atarax at night. That should help her sleep soundly and not itch in her sleep. The itching and rubbing is apparently what is making it so bad. She rubs her feet together and rubs her hands on her face and that is making the rash worse and the skin worse. She mentioned putting socks on her hands and taping them to her clothes, but I don't think we can do that. Ava won't be able to play with anything if we do and would probably be a nightmare for us. But, we are going to keep socks on her all the time - no sandals in the summer without socks she said.

I asked about Ava's sweating hands and feet (which drip with moisture perpetually - it's yucky and nobody knows why) and she said that it definitely could be why her hands and feet are worse. The moisture and whatever is in the sweat could be irritating her skin. So, the socks will help with that for her feet, but she doesn't recommend powder or anything until her skin heals. Then, maybe we can experiement with something that will help the sweating.

Lastly, we talked about food allergies. She said that there is SOME anecdotal evidence that certain foods (wheat, eggs, dairy) can trigger eczema, but it is rare. Probably those same people who swear that the food change made the skin better don't realize what else changed at that same time (soap, weather, etc.) and it really wasn't just the food. She said that unless a child breaks out within 20 minutes of eating something, it most likely isn't going to help to withhold that food from them.

So, that's my story. I hope we can get some more people interested in this board - the more experience the better!!!

June 3rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
It sounds like pretty sound advice! The only experience I can contribute with my daughter's condition, is that you'll have to tweak everything to make it work for your individual child. For example, I know some kids who can't take a bath everyday because it dries their skin out too much. On the other hand, the water doesn't make a difference on my daughter's skin, and we give her a bath twice a day lol Her skin seems to absorb the creams better after a bath.

Vanicream is awesome. I wonder why she suggested mixing it with Vaseline, though... Although I suppose we do the same, just in a different way - whenever DD gets out of the bath, we'll put a layer of some sort of cream (Eucerin, Curel, Vanicream, whatever) and let it "soak in" for a few minutes, and then put a layer of Aquaphor over that. I suggest Aquaphor over Vaseline, for some reason Vaseline makes DD's skin really dry. There's absolutely no reason why it *should*, but it does lol Plus, Aquaphor has lanolin in it, which is great for dry skin.

We give Julia Attarax maybe 2-3 times/week at night, it makes her really sleepy. Benedryl makes her hyper as heck, so we stay away from that lol
June 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
Welcome Amanda and Ava! I'm Michele, 24. Mom to Trinity 3, and Anastasiya 8 months both with Epidermolysis Bullosa Simplex: Weber-Cockayne. It is a skin disorder that makes them get blisters easily on their hands and feet. I'm glad to have you join us!

June 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
welcome.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search