New over here

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Kathryn and I hang out on a lot of JM boards, so I guess I'll be adding this one to my list. I've got two sons, ages 6 and 3 months. My oldest has allergies and asthma, and had some tiny spots of eczema when he was a toddler. DH and I have allergies and I have asthma, but I'm not aware of either of us ever having eczema.

Well, we found out yesterday that our 3 month old has eczema. He's had some dry patches on his arms, legs, and belly before, but they were never red. I'd just bathe and lotion him and the patches would go away. Yesterday morning, though, he woke up with swollen, red, itchy patches in his ankle creases (chubby baby ). By the time we got in to the pedi yesterday afternoon, he had dark red patches in all of his baby fat creases, armpits, behind his knees, etc. and red patches/spotting all over his little body. Doc took one look and said eczema.

Has anyone else dealt with this in such a young baby? Doc prescribed a steroid cream (starts with a K) for no more than 7 days at a time to use on the severe patches like Alex's ankles. He also sent me out for Cetaphil cleanser and cream (in the tub, not the pump). I saw the Walmart generics of these...does anyone know if they're any good? I bought small sizes of the brand name until I could get to JM to ask about the generics. Used them last night and this morning he looked MUCH better.

I'm not sure what triggered this break out, though. I didn't eat anything unusual (Alex is EBF), meaning I've had the foods eaten in the previous 24 hours numerous times while pg and since he was born, so why would any of them suddenly cause a reaction like this, kwim? We haven't changed detergents (already use the All Free & Clear, because DH, DS#1, and I all have allergies) or anything like that. Any ideas?
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
July 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I'm actually curious to hear about mysterious breakouts myself! lol My DD has Netherton's Syndrome (unrelated to eczema), but 3 times now she's broken out in exactly what you've described, immediately after her bath. The first time I had used a different bubble bath, which had lavendar in it, and I assumed that's what the cause was; the second time, the lavendar was in my shampoo, and I thought maybe there was still a film in the tub from when I took a shower last, ya know? But the third time happened last week, and we hadn't used anything out of the ordinary in or out of the bath. Definately no lavendar anything in our house since the second time it happened.

I wonder if heat can do it? It's been pretty hot here.

Anyway, welcome!
July 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
gemini6774's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have any answers for you, but just wanted to say that our little ones are almost the same age. Lucas is March 29th. We just went for a check up today and he has been diagnosed with ecxema. The doctor had seen him prior to this, and wasn't worried about the rash before.....It started out as cradle cap, and moved down to his face. The doctor said that sometimes cradle cap does this and it usually clears up. Well now the rash is all over his little body. I have no idea what's caused it, and it just never seems to go away fully. I asked 2 seperate doctors about bfing and both of them have said that what I eat should not affect him this way.....I don't really get that, so I may try an elimination diet, to see if anything will help. My doctor is in the process of setting up an appointment with a dermatologist, so I will probably get more answers then.

July 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Barbi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Barbi
The store brand of the Cetaphil cream works just the same. My oldest daughter has had eczema since she was born. When she was born she actually had a little spot right between her eyebrows. We ended up moving to Aquaphor ointment from the Cetaphils because her skin was just so dry. But, I didn't like the fact that she was a slippery mess for about a hour afterwards.
We just started using the Vanicream that another mother on the board recommended. It is working well. Not nearly has greasy but is keeping the moisture in her skin.

July 19th, 2007, 07:42 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Excellent, thanks Barbi for the info on the generic Cetaphil. The brand stuff is working really well, so we'll stick with it for now and keep the Aquaphor and Vanicream in mind for the future. I'll definitely get the generic Cetaphil next time!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
July 25th, 2007, 12:22 AM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
Welcome to the group here! I hope your babies skin gets better soon!

July 26th, 2007, 12:16 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
welcome.

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

August 8th, 2007, 09:47 PM
momtobrandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my dd has bad ezcema too since she was 6 months old she is now 11 never had her tested but it is something in the air that causes her break outs that is want i got for a answer from her doctor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search