New here...another child with eczema

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
jodes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, I'm jodes and my youngest has terrible eczema. I like to think that I'm fairly thorough in my research, and I'll try just about anything within reason.

I've tried: Baby Aveeno ( no ), Eucerin ( made it worse ), Aquaphor ( made it worse ), Gentle Naturals Eczema Lotion & wash ( sort of ), Arbonne Baby Care lotion & wash ( better ), plain old hydrocortisone, and a stronger version from the doctor ( works, but I hate the steroid use for reasons like stretch marks and thinning of the skin ). I refuse to use Elidel, because of the black box warning relating to cancer. And quite frankly, I'm frustrated as all get out that there is actually very little to help my son.

Right now, though, I'm using another prescription topical that starts with a T and I'm drawing a blank right now on its name. We apply a very thin layer twice a day and then lube him up with lotion. The lotion I've found that I think is a God-Send is by Kiss My Face and its their Honey & Calendula Lotion. This coupled with the topical we are now using is like having a different kid with brand new skin. We haven't had a break out in over a week, and his skin is completely clear. I do this ritual EVERY single day, but there has to be something out there that is mostly all natural that my son can have applied to his skin that will work w/o the use of prescription drugs!!

I watch the allergen reports on TV, and if we are moderate to high in our area I break out the Claritin and/or Benedryl. Which seems to help keep the symptoms manageable.

Anyway...sorry for the long rant/introduction/vent. I just think there needs to be better stuff out there, and if there is...let me know. Cuz I've tried it all.
October 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
LadyOrion's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to LadyOrion Send a message via Yahoo to LadyOrion Send a message via Skype™ to LadyOrion
Hi! Welcome to the SD board! I'm Michele and I have two little daughters with a skin disorder that gives them blisters on their hands and feet easily. They don't have exzema so I can help you much on advise but there are alot of girls here that can. I hope you can find something that helps your little one! ~hugs~
Mommy of 4 TTC #5

Shelliegh & Vladimir TTC our first together. <3
October 8th, 2007, 02:12 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board! We've had good luck with the Cetaphil products (doc recommended them, as well as the Dove unscented/sensitive products). We use the Cetaphil cleanser for baths and their cream (tub style, not the pump). Alex gets lubed up with the Cetaphil cream twice/day. The evening lube happens within 3 minutes of his bath to lock in as much moisture as possible, then I put him in long sleeved, footed jammies. Doing that generally keeps his eczema under control. For mild outbreaks we use the low % hydrocortisone cream. For more severe areas, we use TRIAMCINOLONE 0.1% CREAM 15GM (Rx). I only use the steroid creams on red areas and for no more than 7 days in a row.

We've also learned what some of his triggers are, so by avoiding those, we avoid outbreaks. Lavender is a big bad one for him. Getting too hot will also cause an outbreak. Anything heavily scented is a problem (tried SkinSoSoft oil on him this summer as mosquito repellant and it broke him out big time). I know foods can be a trigger as well, but Alex is still EBF at this point so not sure which (if any) foods will trigger his eczema.

I hope you find something that works.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search