my little girl officially has eczema

Forum: Skin Disorders

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Skin Disorders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, I think the culprit is the Bedtime Bath. It has lavender in it, right? That's the WORST trigger for Alex's eczema. Just the slightest contact with anything lavender will flare his skin up to a very bright red. Our pedi had us use Cetaphil (the generics are just as good and save you a ton of money) - the cleanser for baths and the cream (in a tub, not the pump style lotion) to lube him up. I only have to use the cream twice/day and it keeps his skin hydrated. We also use a Rx steroid cream for really bad spots like you described.

You'll want to also make sure that you use "free" laundry products, that are free of perfumes, dyes, etc., not just for baby's laundry, but for everyone in your family who will contact her skin. I love the Free & Clear versions of All, Downy, and Bounce. Make sure you wash any new clothes before she wears them.

That's all I can think of quickly. Feel free to ask more questions. I'll do what I can to help. We're only a couple of months ahead of you, but the things I listed above have made a huge difference in his skin.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
October 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
My DD has an allergy to lavender as well. She doesn't have eczema, she has a genetic skin disorder called Netherton's Syndrome; however, her skin acts like it has eczema (even tho it isn't lo). We usually use Grins and Giggles wash (for bubbles too), and usually use the oatmeal kind. The one time we tried to switch it to the lavender, she broke out in hives and was itching all night long! Eucerin is pretty hypoallergenic, I doubt there's an allergy to it - but if you eliminate everything else, and she still breaks out, I guess that's the only thing left!
October 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM
gemini6774's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucas has eczema as well and the doctor told us to do exactly what your doc said. I too think that the bed time bath is the culprit to your dd's breakout. We have been using the Eucerin Calming Cream (for about 2 months now) and his skin has gotten so much better. Last week I bought the Eucerin original and that seamed to make him break out......, so back to the Calming cream for us.

Other suggestions my doc gave: When bathing, add a couple of tablespoons of either vinegar or baking soda to relieve the itch. Other creams she said to use were, Glaxal Base or Vaseline Cream (it should have the word cream in it). She told us not to use any soap unless necessary and if we were to use soap Cetaphil. Also to keep a cool mist humidifier in their room in the winter months and to place it in front of the heater.

November 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
LadyTkachenko's Avatar *~GreenTeamFeb2015~*
YAY! That's awesome! I glad you figured it out and her skin is looking better. How did her follow up appt. go?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search