I know he is still young

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
~Christopher's Mommy~
I know he is still young (my son just turned 8 months) but he just seems so far ahead of babies his age be took his first steps a few days ago, at 2 months he was rolling around the floor, at 3 months he was able to stand holding things (if we put him there he couldn't pull up then), 5 months he was sitting on his own and crawling, he started walking along things at 6 months, at 7 months he started standing on his own and he even knows to push things up against the couch and crawl up it to get on the couch! he does it to the gate too but he is still to short lol
I didn't even teach him that he just did it one day to the gate and i was like what are you doing!! your going to crack your head open!! and then he did it to the couch... i let him do that because he hasn't hurt himself yet i just have to watch him when he tries to get off! lol He doesn't talk much but he does say a few words he understands how to play with some toys like if you press the button it sings our the ring toss thing..and just stuff like that. I feel bad for him when we he tries to play with his cousin 2 weeks younger because he doesn't even crawl yet and Christopher (my son) doesn't understand why he doesn't want to play with him and he ends up hurting his cousin..

I was just wondering if your kids started this early? What made you think they were advanced?
Do you think he is advanced? or is it something that he will even out with others by a 1 or 2?

June 13th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran
Ohh an 8month old walker - he is gonna turn your hair grey! Haha!!

What a clever little boy. Definately way above average for his gross motor

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
June 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I can't speak for my oldest, because his motor skills have been delayed from birth. He's 5, and still in therapy. Cognitively, he's way ahead, though. My youngest, yes... he was definitely like that! Everything you've said is within the normal range, but it's on the upper end of normal. Some kids even out, and some keep getting farther and farther ahead with each new milestone. Time will tell. Also consider that babies are only able to work on one "type" of milestone at a time (like motor skills, verbal skills, etc. ... there are 4 or 5 types, depending on who you reference). It's normal for one area to be ahead and another to be behind at the same time. When 2 or more are ahead, it's a pretty good indication that your child is ahead of the pack. Again, HOW far ahead takes time to tell. You'll probably know for sure in your own mind by 3. You can't do any sort of gifted testing until at least 4, though. For future reference, you can keep this page in mind. It's not a gold standard or anything like that, but it has a lot of truth to it for most kids. Ruf Estimates of Levels of Giftedness

I agree - sounds clever (or even athletic) to me!
June 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest walked at 9 months. My youngest girl didn't walk until 13 months. I didn't think she would EVER walk! My boys were average. Around age one. Sounds way ahead in gross motor skills. As far as gifted, you will have to wait and see. But watch for other milestones to come early as well.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 14th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's hard to tell this early. He's definitely ahead on these milestone but that whether he's gifted or not - it's too early to tell.

Neither of my kids walked until they were 15 months old and both are gifted to some extent (waiting too see how much). DS is very athletically gifted and at the age of 5 is way ahead of kids significantly older. He's a natural at all sports he tries - right from the beginning. So walking later wasn't a sign.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 14th, 2011, 07:16 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would agree, time will tell. Look for advancement in other areas as well- talking early, feeding themselves, holding and looking at books the proper way, identifying various things, manipulating objects, creating/building, just basically seeming much older than their age overall. All children are different and some mature in one area while their peers mature in others and they catch up, or some children mature quickly across the board just as some children have delays across the board.

Mine both had same-age peers and like you the difference was glaringly obvious, especially next to girls who supposedly "mature faster". Mine both sat at 3 mos, fed self at 4 mos, held books correctly at 6 mos and walked at 8 mos, then started talking well and doing animal sounds and speaking phrases by 1. Not saying that's a blueprint or whatever but that was just our experience.

Enjoy your fast growing "little" boy!!

June 15th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yup, time will tell. Just because a child hits physical milestones early does not mean they are gifted. It just means they are strong or very determined lol Two of my friend's completely average kids walked at 7 months. My very gifted daughter walked at 12 months.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search