Yay Me!

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm going to totally toot my own horn here. Two years ago I started doing Weight Watchers at home. I lost almost 50 pounds, then got lazy and eventually gained back part of it. My mom and I joined Weight Watcher officially (going to meetings) last week. I had gained back about 25 of the pounds I lost (at least it wasn't all 50, right?). Last week I weighed 257.4.

Today was my first "loss" weigh-in and I lost 5 pounds! I'm down to 252.4 pounds! I lost 3" off my waist, 1 1/2" off my bust, and 1/4" off my hips!

I am so excited! I've been exercising every day, which is a huge shock because I hate exercising. But I've been actually enjoying it. I am feeling so much better already

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29

I joined a 12 week boot camp a couple of summers ago, and the only thing it did was mess up my knees. I worked.my.butt.off ... except none of my butt actually came off. People said I was probably gaining muscle, but I didn't see it, and I don't need any more muscle. I'm naturally bulky like a guy. The only way I've ever lost weight was on a low/no carb diet for gestational diabetes (that I extended 6 mos pp as well). I don't have the money or willpower to continue that, though. *sigh*

So - how does WW work? How much does it REALLY cost (because I've heard it's free, but I don't believe that for a second)? How much time? Do you have to go to in person meetings?
June 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
With Weight Watchers, you get a set amount of points per day. A point is some calculation taking into account fat, protein, carbs, and fiber. The more fat and carbs the higher the point value, the higher the protein and fiber the lower it is. Everyone gets 29 or more points (I have 38 currently) per day and then 49 points per week to use or not as needed. You can also earn activity points for exercising (like Zumbaing for 20 minutes gets me 2 extra daily points). I have a handy little calculator that I put the info into and it tells me the point values. Plus we have cheat books for lots of foods and restaurant meals. Fruits and vegetables are 0 points.

I do the Monthly Pass which is $39.95 a month. I can go to as many meetings as I want plus I have access to all the etools on Weight Watchers' site. My husband doesn't want to go to meetings, but needs/wants to lose weight, so he joined WW on-line. He just has those etools (perfect for him since he's practically married to his iPhone - they have an app). That's $17.95 a month. He can't go to meetings.

I've done it on my own, but I decided the accountability of having someone else weigh me and the motivation of the meeting itself (they are 30-45 minutes long once a week) is what I need to have real success. I've learned so much about my eating habits in just this week. I was consuming twice as much food before and, honestly, I haven't been hungry. I was seriously overeating without thinking twice about it.

Once you reach your goal (either within the BMI charts for your height or what your doctor recommends - and writes a note stating what he/she recommends you should be), meetings are free as long as you don't go a certain number of pounds over your goal weight (somewhere less than 5 pounds I think). Many lifetime members just weigh in weekly and don't stay for meetings every time, just when they feel they need the motivation to stay on track. I think people on maintenance get 35 points a day. You don't have to declare your goal until you are ready to... and that can even be once you achieve it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Last edited by Butter; June 21st, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
June 21st, 2011, 09:51 PM
*sigh* I just need to get my oomph back, that's all. It's so easy to cheat and so hard to plan ahead.
June 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel your pain Chrystal! About two years ago - I lost 100 pounds doing low carb and it really worked for me. It's hard to stick to forever though. I have gained some back too - but need to get back on the bandwagon again. I never really had much luck with WW ~ using all my points for ice cream sandwiches didn't really teach me how to eat properly.

Heather - good for you!! That is awesome when you feel better!! Keep it up!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 22nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
5 lbs!! Great job already!!

June 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shari626 View Post
... using all my points for ice cream sandwiches didn't really teach me how to eat properly...
That reminds me of someone I know who got one of those lap-band things. She figured out how to eat all she wanted if it was in liquid form, so she had a ton of milkshakes and gained weight with the stupid thing. Sounds like something I'd do!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search