So how was

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the first week of school - I assume that everyone started back or started homeschooling by now. How is it going?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Horrible! Oh wait, no, that's me. Mia is doing great. Same teacher as last year so I'm pleased about that. She likes school (yay!) so it's never a big deal.

I, on the other hand, am finding it hard to adjust to being back in the front of a class.

September 7th, 2011, 07:15 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugo went back today and had a great day! He went right in and right to work! He also has the same teacher. I am a little sad at seeing him having grown up so much seemingly overnight. Trying to savor it since this is the last year he won't be going every day of the week.

September 7th, 2011, 07:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Going great. He's having a little bit of a hard time adjusting after spending a few weeks off, but he's doing well overall.
September 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everyone's adjusting well. Well except Kathie. It is hard to get back into the swing of things. I speak from experience!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Regular
All three are doing well. My oldest is finally situated comfortably in her school surrounded by caring staff and therapists. There were a few shaky weeks of adjustment, but she seems happy when I drop her off and pick her up each day.

Middle daughter (Gifted one) is doing great. Because of budget cuts, they fired the tech teacher so they put my daughter in charge of opening the computer lab each day. She goes in during homeroom and boots up all the computers and trouble-shoots those that aren't working. It takes about twenty minutes total and she really enjoys it. Neither the gifted class, nor the GEMS program has started yet, which is annoying. But, she's kept busy with assigning herself projects and posters that she has turned in. lol

Youngest one is settling in. She has lots of stomach aches which became worse when school started. She's been very worried that she wouldn't have the right reading level to pass this grade (yes, I know it's just started but she's a worrier). She needs to have Level M and they haven't tested her yet (also annoying). She's reading Magic Treehouse books though and I think those are at least Level M so I'm trying to reassure her.

So, we're doing good, I think?
September 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My girls have been in school for over a month now.

My oldest adjusted right away. I think it helped that her best friend is in the same class with her again this year. I've really seen a huge difference in terms of expectations, workload, number of tests per week, etc. from 3rd grade to 4th grade, and this is the first year that she'll actually receive grades instead of proficient, developing, and area of concern. I don't think she has really noticed the difference, though, so I guess that's a good thing.

The little one did really well the first few days she was there, but I think there was just so much for her to take in that she didn't really process it all. She had a hard time the next two weeks because she just didn't feel comfortable there yet (I'm sure I've mentioned her issues here before). After talking to her teacher, going to lunch with her to help break the ice with other kids, going over her social stories again, helping her memorize the schedule, etc. things have been so much better. She was actually upset the other night because she missed her friends at school and couldn't wait to go back.

September 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
beaumadine's Avatar Veteran
My kids are doing great.
I am anxious to get this testing a placement thing figured out for the twins so they are where they need to be. They look forward to PE, music, and library. The library has been great about letting the boys check out books outside of the Kindergarten area.

My four year old started pre k and loves it. I am not sure if she is gifted yet. She is smart.

I am getting used to only having my baby around three days a week.

Hope all are doing well!
September 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So guess what I did on Hugo's first Monday back- forgot his homework. It's really on the parent to "do" it with the kid- find an item that begins with the letter of the week and send it for circle time. Nothing too big... I should probably get him to just do it himself since I am evidently too scatterbrained. I am going to try harder though. I felt horrible about it. I was just in a rush to be sure I repacked the car with my own work stuff since being out of town all weekend.

Apparently though there was some craft item in his bookbag- a pirate treasure chest that says "Hugo, you're a treasure," and they mistook it as the letter item! I have no idea where it came from either. I never saw it before. Weird. I believe he told them his cousin Annika (with an A) made it, which I don't think is true, but whatever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search