Hello

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
beaumadine's Avatar Veteran
My name is Sherri and I have a five year old twins who just started kindergarten. They tested them and found they are reading and comprehending at a 6th grade level. I know they are advanced in math,geography and many other subjects also.

I am looking for online sources. Our town is not very big and doesn't have anything for gifted children until the 2nd grade.

I talk with my friends about the struggles of raising gifted children and they get sick of it. I think many of them think I am bragging. I just want some like minded individuals to talk with about the pros and cons of raising gifted children.

Thanks for your time. I hope to feel welcome here and learn.
September 9th, 2011, 07:24 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME!! I also have a gifted 5 year old (and I'm a gifted twin). We've chosen to homeschool because the public schools here aren't willing to work with him, and the private gifted school here (great school!) is $11k per year, per child and an hour away. Those are not options for us, so homeschooling it is!

Don't be afraid to brag here. You can say whatever you want, and we'll believe you. We understand. My 5 year old taught himself to read at 22 mos and is on an adult reading level now. He's on an 8th grade comprehension level, and he soaks up Latin and English grammar just as quickly. As a homeschooler, I can tailor his subject matter to meet him. He's doing 5th grade for English, Latin, and Bible, 3rd grade for most everything else, late 2nd for math, and kindergarten for handwriting. His motor skills have been delayed since birth. He's in occupational, physical, and vision therapy for that (and has been doing one or more since he was born).

My 2 year old is on a kindergarten level across the board. Math seems to be his strength, but it's too soon to tell. He has no physical delays, and in fact, he's pretty advanced in his motor skills, so while the boys are 3 years apart, they're only 1 year apart in motor skills. It's very odd!

What sort of resources are you looking for? Do you have any other children? (I see a baby in your siggy, so I assume you have at least one more besides the twins?)

Last edited by BensMom; September 9th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
September 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I have the 5 yo twin boys, a 4 yo daughter and my baby is 16 months already. Our boys taught themselves how to read. I realized they knew how to read when they were 3 and we drove by walgreens. One of them said, "hey mom, the word is pharmacy and it is just like phone."

They are very good a geography. I haven't had them tested, but they have known the locations and capitals of every state since they were two. They spend a lot of their free time studying maps.

It is almost like they have photographic memories.

What resource did you use to have your child tested? We simply can't afford the testing fees.

I have considered homeschooling but my hubby is very closed minded and against it. They are in an "experimental" class this year in which they put kindergarteners with first graders and teach them at their own level. I am skeptical because they have one teacher and 24 students. The kindergarteners only go a half day. I am trying to remain hopeful and positive. The teacher did approach me in the second week about their test results and is sending them for further testing.

Thanks for responding!
September 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I am Melissa,married to Israel. Our kids are Israel 6,Sofia 4,Malachi 2 and baby girl due in November. I also home-school because my kids would be bored out of their minds lol. I haven't had my kids tested but according to many sites and homeschool curriculms Israel is reading at an adult level,spelling at a third grade level,history 3rd grade level and math at the end of second grade level. Sofia is starting to read and does math at a first grade level.There's not much they won't understand either. Malachi is my stubborn one. He's finally starting to talk.
September 10th, 2011, 05:58 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WELCOME!!! I am Shari and have four kids too. Mine are 17, 11, 8, and almost 7. You are welcome to "brag" all you want here. We don't think of it as bragging at all. We always believe you because we have been there!!

Our school doesn't do gifted testing until 3rd grade here. It's just a pull-out program anyway and I don't think it does much good anyway. My kids are in public school, and the schools are good here, but if I had it to do again - I would probably homeschool.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumadine View Post
I talk with my friends about the struggles of raising gifted children and they get sick of it. I think many of them think I am bragging. I just want some like minded individuals to talk with about the pros and cons of raising gifted children.
I totally and completely understand! People really think gifted kids are a picnic. Sure, they learn easily and all that, but they've got their own issues, too. After a while I just pretty much starting keeping everything to myself.

I'm Heather and I have four kids. Cameron's my only tested kid. He has dyslexia AND he's gifted. The other three are clearly gifted as well. Ani's 11 and in 8th grade. Fritz is 5 and in first grade. I am starting to suspect my 3 year old has an eidetic memory. He hears something once and can repeat it perfectly. We homeschool using Calvert School.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm Kathie, I have a 9 year old daughter, Mia. She's clearly gifted but hasn't been formally tested either. No point here really, there are NO programs for gifted kids. In fact, they won't even assign the label in our school system. Some weird reform idea. So we "after-school" her. She goes to school for the day and comes home and has about an hour of Mommy's school, which we call her 'real' work. It's been working out fine so far.
We also have Edward who's 15 months old. Don't know if he'll follow in his sister's footsteps just yet, we'll see...

September 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumadine View Post
What resource did you use to have your child tested? We simply can't afford the testing fees.
Actually, we're going to the Gifted Development Center in Denver this coming January. We've already had two in-depth conference calls with them over the past 2 years. We were planning to have him tested right now (Sept) because they offer a homeschooling discount in Sept, but he's at the age cut-off between tests, so we chose to go ahead and wait until he's 6 to do the WISC instead. They think he'll hit ceilings on the WPPSI. The WISC will give us more details and a larger range when combined with the SB-5. An IQ score is cool, but we're much more interested in the breakdown of scores and how he learns best. The WISC offers more subtest scores than the WPPSI. He'll be doing the WISC, SB-5, Woodcock Johnson (full) and I don't know what else... possibly a personality test (can't remember the name of it). He might have dyscalculia, but probably not. He's probably just not as strong in math as he is everything else.

We've decided to use his college money to pay for testing, because it'll help me to better tailor his learning so that he'll be more likely to succeed enough for scholarships. (Testing and travel combined will be appx $3k.) He's going to graduate early anyway, so he'll almost certainly do at least part of his bachelor's from home. I don't want to send him away to college before his maturity level reaches his intellectual level, but I don't want to hold him back and watch him stagnate, either.

Last edited by BensMom; September 10th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
September 11th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Cameron was tested (hours and hours and hours of testing) through the public school system. Technically they aren't supposed to give a "dys" diagnosis, but the psychologist did because he's NOT part of the public school system and she knew we weren't going to put him in school either. Some school systems do impressive amounts of testing (like the one here... Cameron had the same tests and then some that Ben's going to have, and since it was through the school, it was totally free), but more often they do very minimal testing. We got lucky, really. BUT, if we wanted one of our other three tested, they wouldn't. Cameron was only able to be tested because he clearly had signs of something wrong (the gifted diagnosis was actually a bit of a surprise because he is so far behind due to his other issues). In other words, they'll only test if a disability is suspected, not if they are straight gifted. Like most places, gifted screening here is a joke. In fact, I don't think they do any testing at all to determine gifted pull out program placement. It's teacher referral with a limit on the number of kids per grade.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 11th, 2011, 05:24 AM
That's true. Most schools really just do a simple screening. If we suspected something like ADHD or Aspbergers, we could get all this testing done through our medical insurance here in town (well... most of it... they aren't certified to do the SB-5). Medical insurance doesn't cover testing purely for academic reasons, though.
September 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info! I will have to google some of the tests you have talked about. I will find out Monday how they did on the second comprehension test. One said he got 100 percent and the other said he got a 99, but I have no idea what that means.

Bensmom,you said that you are a gifted twin. Any advice for a momma of gifted twins from a twin perspective?

You guys are awesome!
September 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Each child is different! I know some twins are the best of friends, read each others' thoughts, etc., but that wasn't how it was with my sister and I. We were, and still are, completely opposite, even though we're genetically identical. I was the hard-working overacheiver. She was the popular class clown. She was happy to throw something together at the last minute for a B or C knowing everyone else had spent hours working for that B (and I'd spent hours working for my A's). We're equally smart, but our strengths and weaknesses aren't the same, and our personalities are definitely not the same. I went straight to college on a scholarship. She got married and started a family. Her kids are in middle school now, and she just finished her bachelors. It's funny how she jokes about school now. With time to mature as a wife and mother, she worked hard in college and graduated with all A's (or mostly A's?). She realizes now what kind of person I was in high school when she told me I was a geek.

My advice - don't assume they'll have the same interests, learning styles, or strengths. Celebrate their birthdays on the same day, but otherwise, give them the freedom to be just another sibling in the house rather than a mirror image of someone else. I hated being "one of the twins" or "Candie's sister". I wanted to make a name for myself, but it was hard having a twin around - especially in school.

Oh - and don't come down TOO hard on them when one gets in trouble at school. Kids who are alone at school get away with more than twins do. Having a sibling in some or all of your classes meant you could run home and tell mom & dad every time one forgot to turn in homework or got caught passing notes. Otherwise parents would never know. I hated getting in so much trouble from a tattle-tale sister.
September 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I'm Amanda, mother to two girls. My youngest just started K also, and her teacher is just beginning to see what she's capable of doing after being in school for a little over a month. She's really shy and withdrawn in new situations and around new people, so I'm glad she's finally feeling comfortable there. It was a bit of a struggle the first few weeks, but she's really enjoying it now. My oldest is in 4th grade this year, and she was identified in K.

September 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Sherry!! I am Amanda. I have Hugo who's almost 3.5 and Sergio who's almost 2. Let's just say NO one, not even family, believes Hugo's 3. He's at a K level on most everything from what I can estimate, except for music where he seems like a much older child. He aspires to play the tuba and loves to sit thru concerts at the local university. I smiled at the pharmacy thing you wrote b/c he went through something similar last summer trying to figure out why Phineas and Ferb start with different letters.

I dread the days of school, testing, assessments, etc. We have a few options but nothing ideal as far as schools around here. Right now he attends preschool 3 days a week and that's fine because he loves to play and use his imagination more than sitting down to do work, and I don't want to rob him of the time he has left to spend doing that. The public schools here are fairly good and start with pre-algebra in kindergarten and accelerate/differentiate for most all subjects. We are planning to try him in a Spanish immersion school in 2013 when he's "old enough" for K.

Welcome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search