No longer frustrated...we have a plan

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
beaumadine's Avatar Veteran
The teacher called and said that they tested out of the second grade level. She said the next step is to have the Gifted and Talented Education teacher test their IQs and run a battery of tests. They normally won't do that until the end of second grade but since the preliminary testing showed them more accelerated than that, they will test them now.

We only have half day kindergarten even for the k-1 class. The first graders in that class stay all day. The teacher has already contacted the assistant superintendent about getting them bumped to the first grade so they can stay all day. The afternoon is more learning focused after the kindergarteners leave. I am pleased with that.

We have to turn in the forms tomorrow and the GATE teacher will test them this week. After that, the GATE teacher will come to the school once a week and work on special research and designing projects with them.

I am so glad that I have you guys to talk to. I will be interested to find out the results.

Sherri
September 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is great!! I hope they can get placed into 1st. That makes a lot more sense for them to stay all day and get the instruction. I am glad a GATE teacher can give them acceleration.

I've heard of that half-day K and that makes no sense to me. Here, the public pre-K is even a whole day. K public or private is a whole day. Where do you guys live?

September 12th, 2011, 07:33 PM
The school district here is growing and they claim they don't have the room.
September 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
That's wonderful!! You're not going to find anything close to that in most places.

Here's a little homework for you ... since the school mentioned acceleration (bumping up a grade): someone in the long line of red tape will probably start throwing arguments about acceleration being a bad idea or not allowed or whatever. Read through vol 1 only of A Nation Deceived (because vol 2 is the same thing, but it waaaaaay more statistical detail than you'll likely need), and also consider getting a copy of the Iowa Acceleration Scale if necessary (hopefully not).
September 13th, 2011, 03:21 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumadine View Post
The school district here is growing and they claim they don't have the room.

Does that mean your twins WONT be staying all day?? I hope that's not what you are saying.

Up until three years ago, our district had only 1/2 day kindergarten too. Andrew was in the first full day class and he's only in third grade. I have never understood that ~ half day really equated 2.5 hours. That seemed like a joke to me.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

September 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
My twins are not staying all day now. I drop them off at 8:30 and pick them up at 11:30. They have PE, Music, Library and Art throughout the week, so there isn't much classroom time. I believe all of those are important too, I am just saying that they aren't in the classroom working on the "three r's" much.

If they are allowed to move to first grade, they will remain in the same classroom with the K-1 class that they are in. They will just go from 8:30 to 3:20. It will give them more classroom time.

It would be an easy trasition since they would just go up a level in learning and not have to integrate into a new classroom.

Thanks for the homework chrystal. I will look at that tonight before I go to bed when I have a little time.

My husband's mom works in the school system and has been against all of this from the start. She's a peach!
September 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumadine View Post
My husband's mom works in the school system and has been against all of this from the start. She's a peach!
Nice. That's always a pain.
September 16th, 2011, 08:52 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great! I hope it all works out. Do you know when you'll find out for sure?

September 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
They haven't tested yet. I turned in the parent assessment on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am hoping to get things started next week.

By the way, my mil told my husband that we better not be suggesting things because she doesn't want us to be "those parents". I would rather be "those parents" than let my children sit stagnant. Ugh! I am sure that someday I will write a whole thread involving her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search