Updates?

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi guys!!!

Been a while. Hugo had pneumonia last week and a hospital trip was involved! We all had a BAD case of the flu and his asthma tipped his over into worse. He missed a week of school and martial arts.

He's doing better now and we just had Sergio's b-day party this weekend. It was great. When I upload pics I will share some. We all love seeing our friends with kids near their age. It's too rare when we all get to spend time together.

He had his belt test this weekend at martial arts so here are a couple pics (one in his gi, one testing). The next belt is yellow or a half-and-half is what they do now. We love his martial arts studio. Absolutely no regrets on going with it although it does take a lot of time, 3 nights a week and special events. I really hope he'll stay with it long term.

I'm a little disappointed that his school doesn't really cover any new material, still doing the weekly alphabet thing which is very very old hat, but I try to make him more responsible for his homework and I make him correct any classwork that I think he may have done sloppily. He and Sergio really like that website Chrystal shared with the progressive phonics and Hugo is also asking for more homework time. Today we did patterns. I am sooooo not into homeschooling for real though- I could not deal with him. He's still in his little snot phase but part of it is boredom and I do think I need to do more structured things with him.

Sergio is turning 2 in 2 more days!
He is into basketball, art, books. I noticed lately when he reads things sometimes it's backwards. He's in the stage where he just reads the individual letters but for example he'll read a sign "WORK" as k, r, o, w. Don't know if that's a sign of future dyslexia or some type of issue or if it will straighten out?

Any updates with you guys??
Missed being around.

October 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update!! Miss you guys too!! We are hanging in. I am trying not to drown at my house. There is so much going on and I am having a hard time staying above water.

And this too shall pass.....LOL

My baby turned SEVEN on Sept 28. Ack. And we have toured two colleges with Kelsey and going to a third on Friday. Oh help me please.....

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I think this will be the last week without Ani. She's been home sometimes and in VA and then PA sometimes. My uncle (mom's brother) collapsed mid-July while we were all on vacation together. He's single, never married, no kids, so my mom has been spending a lot of time with him through two hospitalizations and two rehab places. He's doing great now and has been home since Friday. Ani's been going with my mom as moral support and company. She's been amazing (and now she wants to be a nurse when she grows up).

Cameron turned 10 yesterday. His reading is improving. He's a bit over half way through 3rd grade now and his reading level is barely lower than that. He was 3rd quarter 2nd at the completion of 2nd grade so he's catching up nicely. I'm thinking about taking him to an occupational therapist to get help with his dysgraphia. His handwriting is also improving, but really slowly and the disconnect between his brain and writing makes it super difficult for him to write compositions.

Fritz starts speech therapy this afternoon. He has several very small problems which add up to him being hard to understand. He's doing first grade math double speed. Math is just super easy to him. He's getting into the harder (non-CVC) phonics stuff and loving it.

Adrian's just still his cute self. He turned 3 three months ago and is still not potty trained. He doesn't get the feeling that he had to go before he goes. Pee or poop. It's very, very strange.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Israel(6) finally realized he'll have alot more time not doing school if he tries and doesn't take so long on his math. Last year it seemed like he wasn't understanding alot of it but he's doing great now. We'll be starting multiplication soon. Sofia(4) is reading pretty good. She didn't get it as fast or as easy as Israel did so that was hard for me. She LOVES math though so I try to give her something that will challenge her. Malachi(2) still isn't talking very much. He's also showing signs of jealousy which the other 2 didn't so that's been really hard to deal with. We put the crib up and he was trying to get in and we told him,"No,that is the baby's bed." So he says,"Me baby". So he has slept in it twice. Hopefully that changes when baby comes!
October 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My laptop is completely, 100% dead, so dh gave me his tonight... which isn't much better than dead, but I'm thankful to have something.

We also had an ER trip last week. Apparently, Daniel is allergic to ants and mosquitos. Really? How do you keep a 3 (in a couple of weeks) year old little boy away from bugs? What else is he allergic to? *sigh* His knee had a knot the size of a tennis ball on the side of it. Poor guy.

Daniel has officially started homeschooling, and he LOVES IT! It takes a max of 20 minutes to get through reading, writing, math, and Bible each day, but he enjoys the attention. I'm calling him kinder, although math is a little higher than that. I'd say he's reading on a kinder level right now. Definitely not as well a Ben was when he turned 3, but very well nonetheless. His math understanding is much better than Ben's was at this age. Like everything else in their lives, they're completely opposite once again.

Ben's doing great in math for a change. Everything else is coming along great as always, but math has always been a struggle, so I'm thankful he's doing well this year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search