Trying not to panic

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I looked at Erin's grades today and she has a zero for homeworks and classworks in TWO classes!!! That is not like her. She said she just didn't do it. That is soooo not like her. I am trying not to read too much into it. But I know that school is easy for her, and I hope she's not getting bored.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
eek! How old is she now? 12? I see a LOT of this once the kids leave grade school and get into my classes. It's as if they need to see what will happen if they do this or that. She may be testing the system, or testing you.

I would watch her though, I don't want to scare you as I don't think Erin is at ALL the trouble making type, but my little brother was gifted, did awesome all through grade school and at some point around grade 8 he figured out that he could do the bare minimum and still pass, so he could spend more time fooling around and hanging with his friends. He was so smart that he could figure out what he needed to do to get about 65% and that's what he averaged until the end of school, and got himself into all sort of trouble the rest of the time.

Like I said, Erin is probably not going to do that, but I bet she's testing the limits.

October 4th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I always said a 90 is an A just as much as a 100. My sister wanted the 100s and worked for them. I knew what it took to get a 90 and so I barely did anything. I never just skipped assignments, but I'd do the minimum necessary. That was back when they routinely tested the IQ of all kids. Mine is very high. I often had teachers ask why I was happy with 90s when I could easily get higher based on my IQ. I'd always tell them I chose not to live up to my potential (They probably weren't too sad to see my smart aleck self go when I was pulled out to be homeschooled). The truth is school WAS extremely boring to me. I don't remember actually learning anything the entire time I attended traditional school. I learned once I was homeschooled (and at home before I was pulled out).

I'd just keep an eye on her grades and not worry much about it. I WOULD make sure just not doing it is coming from her just not feeling like it and not because she is being teased because of her grades. Middle schoolers can be awful.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I understand, too. I was the "I have to get 100" type, but my brother and sister weren't. It came back to bite them both later.

I know HS is different than PS, but in my house, I go by effort rather than how right or wrong something is. I don't care how good or bad something is done (because I can always tweak how I teach something to make it more effective). What I care about is the effort put forth in doing the work. Even if it's completely right, if it's sloppy or glossed over, it has to be done again. It helps that almost everything we do is at the right level, so my only real concern with effort is handwriting, but still... the concept is the same. There's no excuse for simply not doing an assignment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search