Books this week

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What books are your kids reading?? Anything good? how about you?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ani's reading Snail Mail No More I think. She's spending more time writing a story as a collab with a good friend from where we used to live than reading right now. In school she's reading some short stories (Most Dangerous Game currently). In a few lessons she'll start reading The Prince and the Pauper.

Cameron's reading Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer in school (along with various short stories). It's amazing how much his reading is improving since I've been making him read that book. It takes him 20 minutes to read 3 or 4 pages right now. It's making his regular school reading seem easy so that's a definite plus, too. For fun he's reading Niagra Falls or Does It? by Henry Winkler (yeah, Fonzi). It's about a 10 year old dyslexic kid and the series is written so dyslexics can read it (Henry Winkler is dyslexic) so it's perfect for Cameron. He's reading that on my Kindle.

Fritz is reading lots of little stories in school ;-P (He's 1/4 of the way through first grade and doing quite well with reading.)

I'm reading The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule. It's a true crime book about Ted Bundy. And it's making me paranoid. Stranger crime freaks me out, yet I love true crime books. Go figure. I've been informed that my next book(s) will be The Hunger Games trilogy. My kids are, apparently, sick of not being able to talk about them in front of me (Ani read them on my Kindle and Jamie and Cameron listened to the audiobooks). After those I have to read The Prince and the Pauper. I always pre-read school books so I can intelligently discuss them with the kids.

Oh, and Ani, my mom, and I are reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. We read a few chapters at a time and then have a weekly meeting where we discuss them using Repotting Harry Potter as our base. It's amazing how much we're noticing even though we've all read them multiple times before since this time we're reading so actively and making notes for discussion. We'll be going through the whole series. We're up to the last three chapter of Azkaban.

And some afternoons I read a few chapters of a Series of Unfortunate Events book to my mom and two big kids. We're in the middle of The Vile Village at the moment.

Um, yeah... we read a lot. I didn't realize it was quite that much lol

ETA: I forgot about our family read-aloud. In the evenings we read a chapter of the scriptures (Book of Mormon right now) and then I read a chapter of a book in the Tennis Shoes and Nephites series. We're in the fourth book, Tennis Shoes and the Feathered Serpent, Part Two, right now.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Last edited by Butter; October 15th, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
October 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The big one is reading one of the Avalon books.

The little one just got a bunch of books about the human body from the library. Again. I imagine it won't be too long before she's read every single book about the body our library has. LOL

I'm half-way through Everybody Loves Our Town.

October 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Ann Rule books. She wrote one about a famous murder around here - the Tom Capano and Ann Marie Fahey affair and murder. I forget what it's called. I also read the one about the dentist that killed his wife too.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia is reading Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke, and Edward, well, he prefers to eat his books right now.

I haven't had time to read in a while and it's depressing me!

October 17th, 2011, 06:15 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugo's reading Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

I am lucky to read the news online once a day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search