College search

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2011, 06:02 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay - I will give you a little more details about our college search. Kelsey wants to be a psychologist. Our state is so small that there is only one school close to us and it's the University of Delaware. HUGE school. She doesn't want to go there. (It's literally like 10 minutes from here) It has 20,000 students. I don't think she will do as well in a huge university and she agrees.

We went and toured West Chester University in West Chester, PA. About 1/2 hour from here. It was nice and she thought it was "okay".

Then we went to Kutztown University. She LOVED this campus and the school. About 9,000 students. It's in Kutztown, PA in the heart of Amish country and only about an hour and half away. Here's a link Welcome to Kutztown University -- college of visual and performing arts, college of education, college of liberal arts and sciences, college of business, office of graduate studies if you want to check it out. It has a virtual tour that is amazing.

Then we went to Millersville University. Also in PA and about an hour and a half from here. (opposite way as Kutztown) She liked the school and campus but I think she liked Kutztown better.

Next we are going to look at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland. It's her school that I told her is a "pipe" dream. She can apply if she wants, but probably won't get in, and we can't afford to send her there. It's about an hour into Maryland - and it's a small private college. Has only 1,500 students total. Very exclusive school, hard to get into, and VERY expensive. About 50,000 per year. That's an awful lot of money in student loans she would need to attend. It looks beautiful but that's not high on my list of colleges for her. Here's a link if you want to see it Washington College | Campus Tour. I told her she could apply and you never know - maybe they will give her a full ride. LOL Never know.

Honestly, speaking of costs - I don't know how we are going to afford to send her ANYWHERE. It's so expensive. (Kutztown is about $25,000 a year for out of state) I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for tons of financial aid. Then I guess she/we will be doing loans for the rest because we don't have a magic college fund for her to go debt free. She will have to get loans like the rest of America.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

October 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Oooh! I LOVE Washington College! I spent a week there when I was 12ish. I was at a leadership camp. It was so awesome. Beautiful, wonderful place.

Ani really wants to go to William and Mary in Williamsburg VA. My cousin is there now. She's a freshman on a full ride gymnastics scholarship. St. Mary's College of MD in St. Mary's City, MD is also an option Ani's considering. That's just an hour from us and 10 minutes from where we used to live. Really nice school. Gettysburg College in Gettysburg PA (lol) looks like a nice school, too. She'll be starting college about 16, though, so she'll go to the community college and then transfer after getting her associates. If she does decide to become a nurse like she's been saying, she very well may just go there the whole time (it's a 4 year program at a 2 year school... yeah, makes perfect sense). That's where I got my nursing degree. It's still extremely highly rated in the mid-atlantic area (for nursing). One more year one night a week through the University of MD and you get your bachelors in nursing.

I know what you mean about affording college. It's utterly ridiculous. I can't imagine what it'll cost by the time my 3 year old is old enough to go.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't have a lot of options here, but at least it's mostly government subsidized. Currently it costs about $3000 a year for tuition anywhere you go.
I know we only know each other virtually, but I would be pleased to house your kids if they want to be exchange students! McGill University in Montreal is an excellent school, great psychology program!

October 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
We were in Williamsburg last summer and saw William and Mary. Beautiful campus there too! I have heard wonderful things about Washington College but the cost is what I can't get past.

Kathie - I am going to send her your way. That sounds much cheaper!! You'll feed her too, right?

October 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy cow. I am so glad I'm not there yet but I really need to start saving. Already hoping Hugo will have a lot on his resume to earn himself a scholarship!! (not pushing him, just saying )

He's constantly saying he wants to go to college. I don't think he realizes he needs to finish preschool, elementary, middle and high first.

October 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I'll feed her and even teach her French!!!

October 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Or, she could always come down and attend Elon and be our live-in nanny.
Although that is probably the same amount of tuition and much further away.

October 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathode View Post
I'll feed her and even teach her French!!!

Oh she would love that!!! She is in her 4th year of french but she said she can't really speak it fluently. A few weeks with you and she would be speaking like a native!!!

October 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Well, if you can convince her, and she can get into McGill or Concordia, I would totally do it. And I'm not a creep. I'm a Girl Guide leader, fully checked out, police record check and everything!!

October 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
My dad told me I could go anywhere I wanted to... as long as I had a scholarship! That's why I ended up at a tiny AR school 20 minutes from home. It was like high school with an apartment.

In all fairness, though, my high school wasn't rigorous AT ALL, so I don't know that I would've survived a "real" college like UT or TX A&M.

I'm hoping my kids will get scholarships. I'm also hoping to get most of their early stuff out of the way free through CLEP, AP, dual-credit, etc. We'll cross that road in about 8-10 years, I guess?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search