The good and the bad

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
beaumadine's Avatar Veteran
Well, they moved the boys into first grade. Today is their first day! If you remember, they are in a K-1 class and the move will simply mean that they can go all day and do the first grade curriculum. Their classroom, teacher, and classmates remain the same.

I was so excited when they told us that they would move them up. Carter scored a 137 and Parker scored a 132. The school district only moves kids up a grade with a score of 135 or higher. They made an exception for Parker because the teacher and I thought that he may score higher on a different day as his intelligence may be slightly lower than Carters, but not 5 points difference. We also agreed we would not move one and not the other and that they would both be ready for the move.

They will also be getting some extra time with the gifted teacher on a one on one (or two on one) basis as they boys are the first to qualify for the program before the second grade and they don't have any real program in place for their age group.

Enter the skeptical MIL. She says we made a huge mistake. We shorted them a year of "free" college because the school will pay for any college level course work they do for credit while still in school. They are small for their age so they won't fit in. The K-1 program they are in is looked down upon by the entire school district and they will be held back by it. They will graduate at 17. Ummm can't think of any of her other objections right now, but there were many.

Now DH thinks we made the wrong choice because he is concerned about how they will go to college at age 17. He also thinks we will short them on the "free" college coursework. He is thinking of keeping them in the accelerated grade (1st) until they end the dual class system at grades 2-3. At this point he wants to put them back into the regular third grade classroom instead of sending them to fourth grade. I don't know if you understand what I am saying, but basically the dual class program disolves in the grade 2-3. The 2nd graders will then go to a regular third grade classroom and the third graders will advance to a fourth grade classroom. DH wants to make them take the third grade again basically so they won't graduate early and they can get more college credits in high school.

Anyway, I am so frustrated. I know we made the right choice and I don't want them to be held back. So DH and I are fighting today because his MIL had to put her two cents in.

Then FIL said in front of my daughter that her worries about her because she is average. I about blew a gasket! First of all, she is above average. She is just not a genius. Second of all, I don't ever want her to think that average is a bad thing.

I am so stressed out over this whole thing. Give me some words of encouragement...PLEASE!
October 18th, 2011, 03:59 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First I think college at 17 is a great thing!!! I was never given the opportunity to skip a year (longed for it every year of school, and qualified for it but my parents were told I was "too quiet" to be promoted). I would have jumped at that if I could have chosen it for myself. It's also a huge perk that their class setting and classmates won't have to change this year.

I am really glad they'll get to be on their correct grade level without much transition, and receive more instruction now. I don't see the down side there?????

I am furious that your MIL said that in front of your daughter. Of course she's aware her younger brothers are being moved up and she never was. No need to make anything possibly worse for her.

Plus those supposed "free" college credits to come their way if you hold them back... who knows if the program will change in 10 years from now. That's the way I look at it. I am not banking on one single thing for my kids from the local schools because things just change so often. Hopefully if anything it will change in a good way by growing and allowing juniors to take the coursework or something. So I wouldn't change anything now based on a projection about over 10 years from now. Know what I mean?

Good luck. I hope the boys are happier.

October 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM
beaumadine's Avatar Veteran
That is my point too. Right now it is right for them. I am not going to change what is right for them at this moment because of what may or may not happen in the future.

Their sister is a year and nine days younger than them. She is above average, but it is hard for her to understand that even if the boys were average, she wouldn't be at there level. They are all three so close in age.

I knew that I would have opposition. I just never thought it would be from DH. If his mother would shut her mouth, we would be fine.

Sorry, I am probably going to keep ranting for awhile!

Sherri
October 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Geez. Here we finish high school at 16 and go to CEGEP which is a 2-3 year program, kind of like junior college I guess, but it's basically college. It totally works for the entire population of Quebec.

And I too would have LOVED to skip a grade. My mom tried so hard but our school system just doesn't support it. So stupid. You are doing what's right by your kids, stick to your guns!

Here's a good counter-argument for the college credit thing: they're so bright they'll probably get scholarships anyway, so it's a non -issue

October 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Here's the problem I see:

Being accelerated simply means you're working ahead of grade level, and by putting you in a higher level class, you'll be reasonably challenged.

Being gifted means you pick things up faster than the norm. Moving up a level will work for a while, but soon, you'll get bored and will need either more challenge or more acceleration.

I think you were absolutely right to move them up. They need more challenge. I think the SYSTEM is set up to fail, though. I attended a teeeeeeny tiny school up until 4th grade. We had appx 10 kids per grade level, and we had one teacher for every two grades. When I was in the younger class, it was fun to listen in on the older class lectures ... all the learning w/o all the assignments! Win-win! When I was in the older class, I felt as if I was doing a lot of busy work.

Gifted pull-out programs were new when I was a kid. I didn't really enjoy them very much, because it just meant more work - extra work - not something more challenging.

For now, probably the best thing to do is sit back and watch. The kids will either thrive and demand to move forward, or they'll not thrive, and then there will be no question that they should remain back a year when the double class thing ends.
October 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I skipped the second grade, and I feel like in the end it did catch up to me. When I was in high school all my friends were older and more mature....I couldn't drive until the end of 11th grade, and I really feel like I wasn't mature enough to go to college at 17. Academically I did fine all the way through. I understand why my parents made the decision they did, but I really am not sure it was the right one in the long run. I love the idea of a K-1 classroom though. It does give you some flexiblity in deciding what is best as time goes on.
October 29th, 2011, 01:33 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search