Holiday shopping

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you doing it? Have you started? Are you done?

LOL, I am pretty much done. I just picked up 4 essential oils for their stocking stuffers. They LOVE them in their baths. Other than that I have ordered books and a Disney plush apiece. DH is supposed to be getting Hugo an MP3 player but we aren't planning on anything else.

I am going to pick up a gift card to Clarks for my mom but I actually have everything else bought and wrapped. However with looking at 2 full mortgages in another month or so that is the reason for me being gung ho and getting it over with.

November 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Most of the kids in the family will get books (obviously...! I'm a book seller!). Haven't started shopping for the adults yet, though. No idea what anyone wants.
November 6th, 2011, 06:28 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't really started. I am so jealous of people who get done by this time. Clearly, they don't have my shopping list. How many items do you get for each kid/person? We go OVERBOARD for our kids and that's why we can't seem to get done early. We probably buy them 10 different things and times that by four. Then I have my niece and nephew and my in laws, my sister and her husband, and my aunts. We spend a lot. We really need to scale back.

How do you guys do it?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 6th, 2011, 06:49 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The kids get several (5??), but the adults get one. We buy stuff on sale throughout the year and stash it away for the kids. The problem, though, is that dh and I don't "go shopping" and agree what to buy. We each shop separately in spur of the moment purchases and sales, so the kids end up with more quantity than quality. Oops! ... but when you're 6 & 3, the quantity is what matters anyway, right?
November 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the kids I usually try to get one of each:

Something to play with just for fun
Something educational
Something to read
something to wear
something to share (like a board game)
something to make (craft)

Then I get a bunch of little things for their stockings and staples like socks and underwear. I haven't started yet but I do have a couple of lists going, so that's something.

November 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I USED to get SO much for the kids. Anything that looked good, they got it. Well they are 2 and 3 now and own pretty much everything. Seriously. That is half of why we scaled it back- well maybe 1/3 the reason. 1/3 is due to 2 mortgages so it doesn't make sense to spend that much, 1/3 is because they got SO much last Christmas (2 bikes anyone? on top of a ridiculous amount of other stuff) and really all we cared about or truly loved and remembered was the family time together. We were all crammed into SIL's house but it was getting to spend the extended time together that meant anything to us, and it was a white Christmas which added a magic element and the kids got to play in the snow. Money can't buy that. So it's ridiculous to keep buying 20 things per kid in our home.

I spend the most on my nieces. The others, I try to limit it to things they really want or I am sure they will want. We do share gift ideas on both sides of the family but being observant through the year I pretty much know what to get. I always ask my nieces so they are sure to get what they really want.

Last year we bought for 22 people and that was ridiculous. I got the main family members covered already and I'll get DH to fill in with some gift cards at the last minute if anyone pops up. For all the peripheral people though I am sticking with a nice heartfelt card w/ pics of the kids.

When people have "everything"- I just think it's foolish to keep getting them more of the same. I have scaled it back to 1-2 things each that I know they would actually enjoy, but no need to heap on gifts out of obligation that they don't really want or won't use.

November 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hear you! What I like to do, since the kids LOVE to unwrap presents I try to wrap every little thing individually. That way it looks like more under the tree and they get to unwrap more stuff. So if they get three books for example, instead of putting them in a box or stacking them to wrap them like you would do for an adult, I individually wrap the three books.

November 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
The boys' gifts came today!!! The 2 plushes are huge. They are going to be so happy. Hugo's getting his "Simba with cute ears that doesn't talk" and S is getting Special Agent Oso. I am super pleased with them. I know the kids will have a cow.

Simple pleasures this time around.
At least on our end. MIL called to say she got them each a car DVD player.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search