Artsy?

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know we have a lot of creative and artsy kids on this board... writers, artists, musicians, performers. How about a quick little role call on what your child does in this area, recent/current projects, whether they take lessons and what kind if so, are they involved in groups, do they enjoy seeing others works, are they taking a break, how does it effect the family, etc.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 12th, 2011, 08:04 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dance is something that has always been really important to the little one. She's so shy around new people and apprehensive in new situations, but when she's in a position to perform in front of other people, she becomes a different person. She tried out for a dance performance company this year, and she's really enjoying it. Their first performance was at a college Homecoming game in the area, and they have a bunch of other things scheduled in the near future including a competition.

They have practice twice a week, and it's actually nice for me to spend that time with my oldest since we don't get very much one-on-one time. It only gets a little crazy when they have an event coming up, because she'll have extra practices, meetings about how to do their hair/makeup, etc. Initially it was a little expensive because they needed pom poms for parades, an informal costume for events like that, a formal costume for competitions and that sort of thing, warm-up jackets for outdoor events during the cooler months, etc., but now we've paid for all of that for the year and just have to worry about competition entry fees which aren't much at all.

It's definitely a commitment and I imagine people thing it's a bit much for a 5 year old, but I absolutely wouldn't do it if it wasn't something she loved so much.

My oldest is my artist and while she's taken some lessons through the school on occasion, she kind of just prefers to go through dh's art books and figure things out on her own. It has worked for her thus far, but she's at the age now where she's beginning to see that maybe some formal lessons might be beneficial in order to help her progress. She just worries it would affect her personal style. She draws constantly, and we've had to realize that it's just impossible to keep everything. She also loves to write, and often makes up stories to go along with her drawings.

She just loves to create in general, and will spend hours writing scripts, videotaping those scripts, and editing everything with her software. She always wants us to be involved in those projects, and it can be difficult at times because we aren't as interested in those kinds of things as she is and we don't have the same energy and motivation for it, but we do the best we can to accommodate her.

And of course along with that comes her desire to perform. She has taken a number of acting classes through the years and is currently involved in a production of Honk! at our local community theater. It's a once-a-week commitment, but of course she asks us to help her practice the script and that sort of thing. She also wants to be involved in the community theater through the school district, and they're putting on Grease soon. If she ends up doing that, there will be a fee for the classes as well as a production fee, so it can get expensive.

November 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lucy is an awesome artist. At a young age, she had an amazing sense of colors. Dh was an art education major & he is really impressed. I think her abstract painting is the best. She's older now & more into drawing characters & fashion. She's drawn several things that I most definitely would wear.

She's an amazing dancer to. Just has that natural grace & flow that I don't see in the other kids in her class. She didn't start dancing until she was 6 (she's 9 now) & quickly surpassed the girls who were dancing at 3. My dsd was visiting this summer, she's 12 & has been dancing since she was 2. She & Lucy were dancing together to music on the tv & she just stopped and said "I can't keep up with you. I'm going to watch because it's so cool just to watch you dance" What amazing me with Lucy is that she can anticipate the music as she dances. She'll throw on the tv music chanel & dance to songs that she's never heard. She listens to the music & it looks like she's had a professional choreographer. So fun to watch.

She just started gymnastics & caught up very quickly with kids who've been doing it for years. It's amazing to watch.

Don't know about Noah yet. Dh, his mom & uncle are all artistic so there's a possibility. But Noah seems more like me - mathmatical & analytical. He's really good at building things.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia is into acting now, she got the lead role in the Christmas play, which is really cute. She loves it and puts in lots of effort at memorizing her lines and practicing. I'm looking forward to seeing the play.

November 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hugo- all MUSIC all the time!! LOL
He's getting his first MP3/headphones for Christmas from DH. We are working on the playlist of favorites which include Michael Jackson, Jimmy Buffett, Bon Jovi,Justin Bieber, several salsa bands, a band called Drums and Tuba, classical pieces from all composers and eras, select songs he loves like Don't Fear the Reaper and Ca Plane pour Moi, some ska, some Bob Marley, etc... he has a very eclectic taste for a 3-y-old LOL. He is like DH and has almost an audio photographic-type memory for lyrics (not sure what that is called) and I have no idea how many songs he knows. It's unreal.

He's also getting his drum set for Christmas (a real, small sized one) and CANNOT wait. He has these long scenarios of what he's going to do when he has the drum set and basically tells these lengthy stories about that. I need to write them down.

He loves singing and dancing and Michael Jackson's "This is It" is his favorite movie. We call him Hugo Price for his very creepy and articulate voiceover for Thriller. He can do the Thriller dance with the best of them. Sergio in fact is starting to impersonate MJ; it's rubbing off. In fact in the car this week Sergio's been saying Human Nature by MJ is his favorite song.

Hugo loves to try and play his guitar and sing Jimmy Buffett and knows full songs. He can strum the actual chords with help positioning from DH.
He used to have a toy trumpet that played 4 notes that he was practicing Taps on (limited songs w/ 4 notes), but the mouthpiece broke and is in line to get repaired w/ glue. He still wants a tuba, but lately has been asking for a pipe organ!! He really likes large instruments. We rolled up computer paper to stick on his small piano, and he is satisfied for now. I found him the other night playing on it singing an elaborate song about his castle and wanting to suck someone's blood. I wish I had the video camera handy at all times.

Anyway all this child wants is musical instruments and props for the plays that he does. He doesn't really do formal plays, just acts out long scenarios with the full costume and props. He has been doing this since he was tiny but it's gotten a lot more elaborate.
He has a good singing voice and I would like to get him in a local boys' choir but age 7 is the earliest.

He doesn't take any lessons and I don't honestly know how we'll fit them in in the future with martial arts (if he decides to stick with it) and the sports he's saying he wants to do. I get exhausted just thinking about it. Martial arts is enough to exhaust me now.

He does love going to concerts, particularly tuba ones, although he cries at the end when the performers exit. We need to go to another soon- we missed OctTubaFest due to being sick.

How does it affect us? Drives us a little crazy but mostly it's HIGHLY entertaining.

Sergio is different... he likes music but not to the degree Hugo does. He's always been drumming since he was sitting up (3 mos. on) so he's getting some bongos for Christmas since Hugo's getting the full drum kit (he will have to share that too). He's singing more lately. Hugo was singing at 14 mos. and Serg is just getting to that point. Sergio likes visual arts, painting and modeling dough and clay. He would do that all day if you let him- he'll do it for over an hour at a time.

November 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben doesn't have an artsy or creative bone in his body. (Sorry, kid!)

Daniel loves music and drama, though. I honestly wonder if he'll have schizophrenia someday, because his imaginary friends are soooooo real. He sings, he intently listens to instrumental music, he's a perfectionist when it comes to coloring (always wants me to hold his hand steady so he won't go outside the lines). I don't know what he'll be when he grows up. He's always seemed more mathy than Ben, but his verbal skills are amazing, and his reading is catching up to Ben's level very quickly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search