Wanted to introduce myself :)

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
I've been kinda lurking in here on and off for awhile now but haven't really felt like I should say hi or anything because I don't have an official test for my daughter or anything, but since she's so young I thought that getting to know you ladies would also help me know more about my daughter and what I can do to encourage her along.

My name is Liza, married to Chris since 2006 and we have three children. Timothy is 3.5, Natalie turned 2 on 9.1, and Samuel was born in July. Timothy and Natalie are both very precocious, smart children, but where I see Timmy as being very bright, perhaps advanced when it comes to his social side and his vocabulary, Natalie seems to be just kinda ahead in everything.

They were both born on their due dates, and while Timmy was a normal size (7lbs 2oz) Natalie was very small for a term baby, being only 5lbs 8oz and 17" long. Despite that, she was holding her head up and looking around the day she was born. At 2 weeks she gave us her first smile and she was laughing and playing and interacting with people by the time she was a month old. She was sitting by 5 months and while she didn't crawl until she was 8 months old, she was walking at 10 months and running at 11 months.

Her first 2 word sentence was "ni ni brobee" just a couple days before her first birthday (she has always been obsessed with yo gabba gabba since she was about 6 months old, like she would literally sit and watch the show for an hour). Unfortunately after that she ended up with chronic ear infections and a burst ear drum and this lasted for several months so she didn't really start talking much more after that because she couldn't hear well. After her eardrum healed when she was around 18 months, she started talking in full sentences. She still can be hard to understand because of the delay, but she talks a ton and doesn't talk like a 2 year old. She holds conversations with her brother all the time and can hold conversations with most adults.

Anytime people would talk about their kids I'd always wonder why natalie was so different. The words I would always use to describe her were "free spirited" and "dreamer" because she was always off in her own little world, playing with her babies for hours on end or sitting and drawing or coloring all morning. She's just a very happy go lucky girl (though she is 2 now so she has her share of temper tantrums LOL).

The thing that really brought the TAG thoughts to my head (after a suggestion from a friend that perhaps natalie was gifted) is her art. She will sit and draw and has been drawing and even holding a pen or crayon the right way since she was barely a year old. She's also always done it with mostly her right hand, but at times uses both hands at the same time to draw.

Here are some of her drawings:

Natalie's keen interest is art - drawing especially. She loves to do crafts and will color but likes to use a pen over crayons. Here are some of her drawings.

October 2010, 13 months old - caption under pic "nat found a pen and paper and drew a pic! i never even showed her what to do with a pen"

October 2010, 13 months old - caption under pic "trying to get nat to copy what i draw - the red is mine (duh) see the brown? nat was trying to trace it!"

January 2011, 16 months old - holding the marker the right way without ever being taught

February 2011, 17 months old - giving her left hand a shot (still holding the crayon the right way)

February 2011, 17 months old - her very detailed drawings - she sat in the chair for 45 minutes and drew (I decided to take advantage and paint her toenails for the first time LOL!)

February 2011, 17 months old - funny that my title under this is "her art melts me - and the fact that she holds her crayon the right way really makes me think she's got a gift!"

February 2011, 17 months old - not related to her art, but here she is doing her shape sorter

March 2011, 18 months old - sucking two pacifiers at once makes her gifted, right? Hehe

April 2011, 19 months old - she sat and colored for 90 minutes.

May 2011, 20 months old - using a pen in her coloring book. She doesn't like to use crayons much anymore. Just pens and occasionally markers.

May 2011, 20 months old - she "wrote" her name

May 2011, 20 months old - trying to actually color the characters

June 2011, 21 months old - doing abc projects - tim scribbled and nat tried to color the pictures

August 2011, 23 months old - drawing faces

September 2011, 24 months old - she wanted me to draw stars - then she colored them (I colored the one that looks good lol)

October 2011, 25 months - I drew the one in the middle, she did the rest

October 2011, 25 months - People and a skateboard, and Daddy riding on a skateboard

October 2011, 25 months - the yo gabba characters

November 2011, 26 months - daddy in a hat

November 2011, 26 months - wriley (our dog) in a helmet

November 2011, 26 months - her drawing from last week that brought this all up.

Her drawing from yesterday - Daddy - and she has now included ears and a beard LOL.

Among other things she has been doing or can do is counting, 1-10, since about 18 months old. She knows most of her colors and can recognize probably about 1/4 of the alphabet.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? What should I do to encourage her along without being overbearing? SHould I just sit back and let her do her own thing? She'll be in preschool next year and I know she'll love it. She comes with me to pick up timmy and always runs into the room to play LOL.

Oh yeah, and she's been undressing and dressing herself with very little help for months now.

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
November 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First let me say WELCOME! I am glad that you found us and came out of lurkdom. I loved looking at all your pictures and your daughter is adorable!!

I am not expert on recognizing giftedness in younger children. I didn't think my kids were doing anything abnormal until they got to school. They didn't reach milestones early at all.

Your daughter certainly loves to draw and I am impressed at how well she holds a pencil/pen.

The only advice I can give you at this late hour (my brain is frazzled) is to just keep going with what she is interested in. If you make it fun, it shouldn't be overbearing at all.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

November 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks I love to do arts and crafts with the kids and now that Timmy is in preschool his fine motor skills, which were very behind, are getting better and he is now finally enjoying stuff like that. They love to sit and glue and color and draw, all that stuff. It's harder for me to do that with them lately since I have Sam, but as much as I can I set them up with some fun projects. I want to be able to encourage her interest in art as much as I can, but since she's so young I don't think I can really get her into an art class yet. For now I'm just keeping an eye on things and seeing how much of an interest she develops and maybe in a year or two I can find a private tutor for her to help develop her art skills.

November 16th, 2011, 08:15 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Yes! Two pacifiers is certainly a great test for giftedness! I love that picture.

WELCOME!!!! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! Continue to encourage them in whatever their interests are. Don't question yourself if you see something is ahead while something else is behind. That's normal. Sounds like they're both very bright. The earliest you can possibly test is 4 unless a disability is suspected. There's no reason to do any testing at this point. Just enjoy them and take lots more pictures. Document the things you see happening along with the age when it happens. That'll help an evaluator later if testing is necessary.
November 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
WELCOME!!!! Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! Continue to encourage them in whatever their interests are. Don't question yourself if you see something is ahead while something else is behind. That's normal. Sounds like they're both very bright. The earliest you can possibly test is 4 unless a disability is suspected. There's no reason to do any testing at this point. Just enjoy them and take lots more pictures. Document the things you see happening along with the age when it happens. That'll help an evaluator later if testing is necessary.
Agreed 100%! Welcome! I have not had any testing for Hugo and just now starting to think about if/when because he is wanting to go to full-day K and not understanding why he has to wait until he's 5. My vote is to just "let them do their own thing" as you mentioned because that is pretty much what I'm doing. And it's amazing what you will see unfold as you do that. They pull themselves along into unbelievable territory without any kind of pushing. There are days when I stress a lot that I am shortchanging my child, but I keep reminding myself that these are the only early years he'll have and he really enjoys the time to imagine and play. Plus, it's the imagination that fuels the truly amazing things. I feel that if my child gets to full-day school and needs to move up at that point, we will have him in a system where that option will be available. There was also a thread a while back about "Afterschooling" or supplementing their learning which I have found VERY valuable.

Welcome and I love Natalie already seeing her sitting up using those pens. That is too adorable. I love seeing these tiny little munchkins that can really do spectacular little things. I feel your assessment of her is right on and I look forward to getting to know more about your family.

November 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice and tips! And Natalie sure is a little character. The kids had me sitting there drawing busses and trucks for them all morning LOL. I have to make myself step back b/c I find myself trying to make Natalie draw just to see what she will do. I don't want to pressure her - just like with Timmy and his letters and things like that, I don't want them to feel pressure to HAVE to know how to do things.

I pulled out my old Baby Animal Lotto game from when I was little and while Natalie doesn't understand yet how to play the game, she sat for almost an hour tonight matching up all of the animals on the boards (she didn't get them all right but most of them she did) and then making their sounds and singing about them LOL.

November 22nd, 2011, 07:49 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I'm just lurking (My DD has always been way ahead of her peers, so I lurk here) but her drawings remind me of mine at that age.
I'm also gifted when it comes to art, but none of my family is.. LOL
My parents got me books galore, coloring supplies, etc. and let me do my thing.
I got pretty serious with it from 12-15, so they got me any supplies I wanted (for Christmas or my birthday, of course, not just on command)

I'd say let her copy you, color, etc and have a blast She's definitely drawing much better than kids her age usually do. My 22 month old can barely do a circle, nevermind anything else, and my 6 year old sister was scribbling until she was probably around 3.
I'd say encourage her but don't push her, since she's more hands on and doesn't require a whole lot of stimulation. She seems to be able to entertain herself quite well Show her shapes and turn it into a game. If you encourage, she'll be sure to exceed what you expect
I artistic kiddos, since I was one. Now I can't draw well. I'm out of practice with my almost 2 year old running around

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search