Grade Skipping

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Found this blog post tonight. Interesting!

How Grade Skipping Changed Everything ingeniosus.net
November 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It was suggested that I skip a grade in elementary school, but my parents didn't allow it. I always wonder if things would have been different for me if they had, but in a lot of ways I'm glad they didn't.

I was in a split 3rd/4th grade class for 3rd grade (advanced 3rd graders, struggling 4th graders), and the 4th graders were *very much* aware of that and didn't treat us well as a result. The grade ahead of me was kind of a tough crowd in general anyway (not just the ones placed in that class with me), and I was always kind of relived that I didn't have to join them permanently, and I really don't think it would have done a whole lot for me academically.

I'll never know, I guess.

November 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a huge fan of grade skipping. I skipped second grade, and while I continued to do very well academically, I feel like the lack of maturity caught up with me in high school and the first year of college. And that was just a one year difference. I think the ideal learning environment is one where each child is met where they are, and then helped along from there. It would be awesome if every school would provide that. It really doesn't cost the school any extra money....it just requires some teacher training, patience, and willingness to put in the extra work. Until then I guess parents will keep having to make tough choices about what is in their child's best interest.
November 20th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My brother skipped half of third and half of fourth grade. He was in a private school then. They put him back in public school in fifth because the private school could NOT meet his needs. The public schools here have always had a strict no-skipping rule. My brother had trouble in middle and high school because he was so tiny (he grew once he was in college - at 17 - and ended up 6'1"). He didn't do a lot of his school work just because he didn't feel like it so his grades weren't great in high school. He was a social misfit, but, to be honest, he would have been no matter how old he was compared to the other kids. He's just kind of weird. He went to college just before he turned 17. He insisted on majoring in engineering because our dad is an electrical engineer. My mom begged him to go in to something to do with languages, but he refused. He flunked out of his first year of college (but, to be fair, so did my father who was only on the young end of his age-mates because his birthday is in December and he started school in a December cut-off state, and so did my husband, who was at the older end of his age-mates because his birthday is in November and he started school in an October cut-off state, so that can't necessarily be blamed on his age). My brother then went to the community college, discovered linguistics (yeah... something to do with languages!), and graduated from his MD University a few years later with a 4.0. In the history of MD U up to that point, the only person to outscore him on the graduate school exam is the woman who became his wife. He went to U Penn for his PhD. They gave him a masters after a few classes there (accelerated BS to PhD program). He's a college professor today.

So does he think skipping a grade was a bad thing? Not at all. He'd've been small until the end of his senior year anyway. He'd've probably flunked out of his first year of college anyway. He made dumb choices about doing his homework and not turning it in and would have done that anyway. Grade skippers are still the same person ultimately.

My daughter is two grade levels ahead of where she "should" be. She'll have a chance to finish college early or do lots of volunteering or whatever she chooses because she'll be done with high school around age 16. I met my husband when I was in college full time in what would have been my senior year. That certainly worked out well for me (us). Grade acceleration (not necessarily skipping since going year round like we do changes things) in homeschooling is different, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

November 20th, 2011, 06:40 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an opportunity to have Kelsey start kindergarten in public school a year sooner. We decided against it. I just didn't want her to always be the baby and younger than everyone else. I have never regretted that decision.

I am totally for being advanced when you are homeschooling. I think that makes total sense and I would do it if my child were not getting what she needed at school. School kids can be mean and I don't think they are too kind to a younger kid in their grade.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search