Ben's officially 2E.

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
He was diagnosed with Aspberger's today. It doesn't surprise me at all... dh & I have always suspected it. The neurologist was absolutely blown away by his cognitive level, which made Ben's delayed social speech pattern stand out even more. Paired with his physical delays, he said it's a classic, textbook case. He's being referred to a behavioral psychologist, and he'll have a speech therapy evaluation soon to work on pragmatic language skills.

I'm not sad. I'm relieved! He's not weird because he's homeschooled. He's weird because he's Ben. I knew homeschooling couldn't be the reason, because Daniel's completely the opposite, and both boys have plenty of friends and social situations to learn from.
December 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chrystal, I am happy that you got the information you were looking for. Hopefully, you can move forward now. You were right to trust your instincts!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you have a diagnosis & he'll get the additional help he needs.

I know a few people who's children have autism. And they were all glad when they finally got the diagnosis too. They always knew.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 7th, 2011, 06:36 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! How did I miss you were looking into this?

Sorry, I had to giggle a bit about "he's not weird because he's homeschooled!"

I love interacting with kids with this diagnosis. I have 2 I am working with at work right now and I really really enjoy them. They're so very smart with a lot to contribute!

December 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You missed it because we WEREN'T looking into it!

He had a referral to a neurologist because of his delayed motor skills, not his behavior. He's been seeing therapists and orthopedists since birth. No one ever thought to refer us to neurology until the braces on his ankles last year didn't work. Yesterday was the first available neurology appointment (crazy, huh?!). The neurologist asked several seemingly unrelated questions, observed him, asked more questions, tested some skills, etc., before telling us it was a textbook case of Aspberger's. When I took a closer look at the symptoms, I realized his diagnosis was dead-on. It explains a lot. He's had it since he was born. It's not like it emerged at age 2 the way a lot of autism diagnosises do. It's always been there, which is why we've always known something was "off" about him. He seems so "normal", though most of the time.

I'm not worried about him at all. Going through the list, I realized I also qualify as having Aspberger's. If we hadn't been referred to neurology, we would never have gotten this diagnosis, and we would've continued down the same path we're on. He eventually would've become a productive, well-adjusted member of society. This only gives us a little clearer picture of how he thinks and why he has such quirky behaviors. Now that we know, we can be on the lookout and can adapt.

Last edited by BensMom; December 7th, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
December 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can imagine that's a relief, always knowing in the back of your mind that there's something going on, and then finally having a name for it so you can look into it further and do all you can to help him.

I so wish I could get that same kind of relief with the little one.

December 10th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran
I've worked with a lot of children with ASD, and for the last two years with a student who is 2E (superior intelligence plus Aspergers) and it really is a fascinating journey! However, it's equally frustrating and emotional. But, the label and diagnosis helps people to shift their mindsets so they can accept and help, at least it did for me!

We are in the process of checking out similar issues with my little boy.

I hope the diagnosis help, Chrystal. There is actually a tell-tale "gait" of an Aspie - scientifically proven. So that could be related to the gross motor issues. Sensory issues could also be part of it.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search