Middle School

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ladies that were gifted as kids - how did you like middle school? I am worrying about Erin and middle school.

She likes the school. That's not it. She has ALWAYS loved school. This year, she is saying she doesn't like to go to school. She doesn't like her teachers -she says. She has no problem getting straight A's - but I don't think she's really challenged at all. I think her biggest problem is she loves to be the teacher's pet - and help them, eat lunch with them, and bond basically. Now she has seven teachers for 45 minutes and they aren't interested in bonding with her. She is missing that connection with them.

I am wondering how much of that is just adjusting to middle school in general. It's a big difference from elementary school and I am not sure she was ready for that. She liked the safety and security that elementary offered. One of her friends told her mom that she hated school because the kids are mean. (You know how middle school girls can be!!) Erin says she doesn't have any problems with other kids ~ just that she doesn't like it.

How was your middle school experience? Everyone seems to have horror stories of middle school. Should I worry?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

December 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Erin needs/craves adult interaction. Do you have a small charter school or an accelerated school? (can't remember) I know in our area there's a charter school that caters to that type of kid, gifted or not, that needs more adult interaction.

Coming from a person who pretty much went from child to adult at age 9, I also had a difficult time with middle school. I was already bored in elementary but then there was the shortened class time with each teacher (which wasn't a huge problem, since I hadn't bonded with one teacher since first grade) and the general silliness of peers at that age and the newer social realms like ballgames that I wasn't incredibly interested in.

I survived by joining band, figure skating, private art lessons, service clubs, and also writing for the local newspaper. Those activities, particularly the newspaper writing, filled in for the seriousness of subject matter and adult feedback that I didn't get in school. Maybe if you have some of those things available where she can have a mentor-type relationship with the instructor, she will be able to bounce her thoughts off that person and gain the insights and approval that are hard to find in middle school.

Just a thought. I agree they are not the best years but I think that holds true for almost everyone- all the changes and awkwardness on top of beginning to figure out who you are.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search