curious from those who have been there done that

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Hello ladies. I was wondering if you had some insight for a possible GT mommy.

Nichole just turned 6 on Monday she is in Kindergarten. Never went to pre-k, so school was all new to us this year.
She started off school an average, maybe slightly average child. She knew all her letters, could write her name, new her adress ect. Just the normal stuff for that age. She started reading within a few week sof school. Around thanksgiving she started reading at a 1.5 level (is what I was told meant first grade 5 months in) now I don't know what "level" she is at but she can almost read chapter books like Magic treehouse. She struggles on a few words ect, but she can do it now.

Anyways last week we got a general letter from the school that all 2nd graders are tested for GT but that they were taking referrals from parents for kindergarten. In our district, they have to have parent referral, teacher referral and then then the test. have to get all 3 to be in the program kinda thing.

the next day, we got a call from the CT counselor, that Nichole's teacher (who is GT certified) had referred her to the program! So proud!!

Anyways, she told me last night that her and 3 other kids from her class were taken to another classroom "to take a test" she said they asked her things like "what takes longer brushing your teeth or eating dinner?" She said she got a piece of candy she could eat at lunch and she couldn't remember anything else lol, typical!! So I am not sure if that was the start of the test or not. Are those the types of things they ask them at this age. Again she is only 6.

thanks for any insight you may have

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 11th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That might have been an IQ test. Cameron was asked some really random questions.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 11th, 2012, 07:36 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That was the sort of thing I was asked when I was tested in elementary school, and it was an IQ test. The girls' school uses the CogAT, and I'm not a big fan of it at all. With the IQ test, I was able to justify my answers in a one-on-one setting, which allowed the psychologist to see that I may not have chosen the answer that was expected, but it was because I was thinking outside of the box. That opportunity wasn't available with the CogAT.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; January 11th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
January 11th, 2012, 08:12 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I agree. ... and I don't like the test for the same reason. That's kinda like the one I had as a kid, although I don't remember what it was called. That was almost 30 years ago.

That's the kind of test they use to screen kids. You can drill and coach a kid into reading early, but you can't drill or coach reasoning skills and common sense. That's something you either have or you don't.
January 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
that is what I was thinking too. thanks. I was told on the phone that they would have a few kisd in the room at a time and ask them questions. but didn't elaborate. I figured they were not the same as the ones adults take. All very interesting

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 12th, 2012, 03:33 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL - if they would have given Erin a common sense test - she would have failed
I swear, she has no common sense.

And welcome to our board!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
lol

well not sure we are here yet. I guess she has to pass the test first!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not been there yet so don't know. I do work in public schools and we are testing next week. I had not heard of the parent referral part. Honestly... we would have a flood of those. SO many parents think their child would qualify even if their child isn't even on grade level. I believe it's teacher referral only.

I was identified for the program in kindergarten myself, but don't remember the testing process. I remember going into a room and naming objects on a flip chart but that's the only memory I have- that could have just been K screening.

Keep us posted!

January 14th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
lol, why don't you remember?? haha jk

Yes they take parent referral, but they have to have teacher referral as well to be tested. The GT counselor said they take parent referral mainly because they don't just focus on academics, that a child can be gifted in other areas and stil have a good fit in the program. She also said that many times with gifted children, they get the rap of being almost ADHD in behavior. Some tend to fidget or not pay attention as often as a peer. Not always but.. She basically said that parents know better then anyone else, so it would allow the teacher to step back and reevaluate the child if a parent referred them

lol and the whole every parent thinks their kid is gifted SO TRUE!!!! When we got the general letter home I thought the same thing. I kept thinking well I know she is smart but is she gifted smart? Is the teacher goign to think "OMG really??" if I turn in a referral lol. so glad the GT counselor called and said the teacher referred her. made me feel a bit better

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 16th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty sure Beth just took a written test...they start testing in first grade here. I didn't see a copy of the test, but now I am curious!

I was told here that if their test results fall a little short they can still get in a with a strong teacher recommendation. And they also test again the following year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post

lol and the whole every parent thinks their kid is gifted SO TRUE!!!! When we got the general letter home I thought the same thing. I kept thinking well I know she is smart but is she gifted smart? Is the teacher goign to think "OMG really??" if I turn in a referral lol. so glad the GT counselor called and said the teacher referred her. made me feel a bit better
lol...I had to fill out a parent survery, and I thought that too. I was afraid if I put too low she wouldn't get in, and if I put too high they'd think I was full of it. It was very hard to be objective.
January 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I know!!! then Isecond guess myself too, am i being objective and she really is ahead in some areas, or am I nuts and think she is a genius lol. I don't think she is a genius by any means lol.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

January 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We weren't asked for our input, but I do think it would be helpful. Especially with my little one, there's a huge discrepancy between what she's comfortable doing at school and what she's comfortable doing at home. With both girls, I see so much more in different scenarios than the school sees, too.

January 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
she passed the "interview and was given the IQ test. She finished that up on thursday, so hopefully will here something back soon.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search