When was your first

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2012, 04:32 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
moment that you thought your child might be "different" from other children? When did you first suspect your child was gifted?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

January 27th, 2012, 07:49 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
2 months... he was holding his own bottle, holding books, and responding when we read to him. 3 months was when he started talking.
January 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my oldest was very young, we'd have strangers comment about how bright she was after having a short conversation with her at the grocery store or the mall or whatever. I just thought they were being nice and that all kids were that creative, insightful, and intuitive. To this day, we still have strangers say things like, "There's something really special about that kid", and sometimes they haven't even really spoken to her at all. It wasn't until she started gymnastics when she was 4 and was around other kids that I noticed she really was different in the way she made connections between seemingly unrelated ideas and just *thought* differently in general. The only way I can really describe it is to say that she's an "old soul." She just has this deeper understanding of the way the world and the people in it work for how young she is, and it's always been that way. People either get that and adore her, or don't and are completely intimidated by her even though she is the sweetest, most genuine person I've ever met.

While I'm on that subject, I might as well ask...

Have any of your gifted kids shown signs of...well...seeing/feeling/knowing things that other people don't? I know that must sound absolutely crazy, especially to people that don't necessarily buy into that kind of stuff, but I feel like I have no one to really talk to about it, and I can't help but think it's related to the fact that she's gifted. It's just that the things that she has felt/seen/predicted within the last couple of months can't be purely coincidental, and it's all getting harder to ignore as it happens more frequently.

Anyway...

The word "gifted" never really crossed my mind until she started kindergarten and the school asked to test her.

With my youngest, my first clue was probably how much stimulation and how little sleep she required as an infant. Once she started talking, it was clear that she had an incredible memory, too, which can be both a blessing and a curse. She's so very, very sensitive, too, both emotionally and physically. She has always seemed so much older than she is, and I'm sure part of that is having a big sister, but she is just so much more mature than other kids her age. She feels much more comfortable with kids that are a little older as a result. She's so very logical, and it's interesting to see how math concepts just kind of come to her out of nowhere. She's so driven and self-motivated for her age, and will work hard at things that are important to her. She has always been very responsible and just has this "street smarts" sense about her as well.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; January 27th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
January 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly- Hugo was holding his head and shoulders up as soon as he came home from the hospital. I didn't think he was supposed to be doing that yet and googled it to see if it was a reflex?! (knowing it wasn't, since I have a degree in child development) Then he sat alone at 4 mos. and his older friends weren't doing that yet. Then it just progressed (walked at 8 mos, full sentences at 14 mos, underwear at 18 mos, etc.) and everything cognitive became obvious quickly. He is now like Amanda's older one where he gets comments everywhere he goes with or without a brief interaction with people- "How old is he? Where are you sending him to school? What's his IQ?" etc.

Sergio held his head and shoulders up right after birth. Later he sat alone before 3 mos, like 2.5 mos. It was just weird. It seemed they were both just born older.

January 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
This is going to sound terribly conceited. I never even considered my kids wouldn't be gifted. Jamie and I both have extremely high IQs (they used to test all kids as a matter of course in about 3rd grade). Genetics being what they are I just figured the kids would be the same as us. It was the same way with my sister's son and my brother's four girls (my brother and sister also have very high IQs and married people with equally high ones).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I don't think it sounds conceited. I absolutely agree it's genetic, and I believe if both parents have similar IQ's, all the children will be somewhat equally gifted. Giftedness is in both sides of our family. I always assumed my kids would be gifted (and even joked that they'd be stupid, because I'm from AR, and my dh is an Aggie ). I already know my younger niece will be gifted in math. I have two older niece/nephews who are gifted in the arts like my sister. I didn't know exactly HOW my kids would be gifted since dh and I are opposites (he's the mathy/logical one, and I'm the creative/language one), but I knew they would be.

If one parent has blond hair and the other has brown, the children could turn out with a wide range of hair colors. Same with giftedness... parents are usually drawn to each other because they have similar interests, two-sided conversations, and thus, similar IQs. You usually don't find a very smart person married to a not so smart one, because the conversation just isn't interesting. If both parents are equally bright/gifted, the kids probably will be, too. If not, the children will range in IQs.

Last edited by BensMom; January 28th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
January 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran
I wonder if this is a cultural thing because I feel extremely uncomfortable with the term gifted in relation to my own children! It's just frowned upon here in Australia! I don't know why, it just seems conceited. No one has IQ tests done (except if there is a problem).

That said, when my son's day care director suggested that I look at early entry (he was 2 at this time, so it was a consideration for the future) . But yes, both of mine, but particularly my son, have reached a lot of milestones before their peers. Aiden has a HUGE vocabularly. Today's word is "antique".

Mia and Aiden are both very sensitive and the terms "old souls" and "crystal children" have been used by friends. I don't know though.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
January 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lucy was very alert & aware of her surroundings right at birth but I didn't see that was different until after the fact. I really noticed at about 3 months. She was very interactive with family & even strangers.

Then she said her 1st words at 6 months. Said "Casey" clear as a bell at 8 months. My name is Kris - trust me I know most kids can't say the K sound at 8 months . She said full sentences at 14-15 months. Not just simples sentences or sentences only I could understand but full clear sentences like "I want to play with your necklace"

Lucy is a very sensitive child. A childcare provided once brought up crystal children. Others have commented that she is "an old soul"

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 30th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I've heard "old soul" before, but I've never heard "crystal children" before. Interesting!
January 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Actually when Rachel was first born she was the most alert newborn anyone working in the OB department ever seen. She was constantly turning her head to look at everything and didn't sleep as much as the other babies in the nursery. Rolling at 2 months pretty much told us we did not have a normal child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search