I need guidance!

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1st off Hi! My name is Casey (25) I have 2 kids Amber (8) and Joe (7 weeks). Amber has been identified as gifted but is now attending a school without a gifted program. Because of this we are looking at transferring her back to the public school for next year but they do a cluster style approach to gifted education and I am not sure I am comfortable with that. Have any of you had experiences with this?
I feel like I am failing her by having her in a school where she isnt being challenged but I fear the public school wont be much better if not much worse.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
January 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran
A good teacher will differentiate the tasks and cater for your child. Pull out isn't always best.

Good luck!

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
January 30th, 2012, 05:25 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiegirl View Post
A good teacher will differentiate the tasks and cater for your child. Pull out isn't always best.
I agree. Not only was the pull-out program a waste of time when I was in elementary school, but I also felt like it singled me out and drew attention to the fact that I was different, when all I really wanted was to fit in.

I like the cluster approach. In our school, they cluster the kids together with the teacher who has the most experience with gifted children in each grade. They break into groups for reading and math according to ability anyway, but when there are other gifted children in the class, they are able to go deeper into the material and concentrate on higher-level thinking as well. It also served as a source of healthy competition for my oldest, not only in terms of academics, but also in areas like art, where there were other kids with incredible talent. It gave her the push she needed to stay motivated.

Also, even though all gifted children are different, she did feel like she had more in common with the other kids than she would have in a regular classroom. The other kids had similar emotions, views, vocabulary, etc., which helped her feel like she belonged.

January 30th, 2012, 06:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have no advice. I was in a pull-out program as a kid, and my kids are homeschooled. Just wanted to say hello and welcome!
February 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have kids in pull-out programs and it's a waste of time. They aren't getting anything out of that at all.

And welcome.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

February 2nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the cluster approach would be better because the pull-outs are not always every day.

I am struggling right now since mine aren't school age yet and I have one clearly ready for school and I am going through the whole debate of this program vs. that myself. So not much else to really offer but hello and welcome.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search