Need advice on testing

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm starting to think I should have dd tested. She's 9 1/2. We are in a unique situation because her giftedness is being masked by a fairly severe vision issue (convergence excess) that can't be fixed by glasses or surgery. She is starting her 2nd round of vision therapy soon which should help.

So despite her eyes' inability to focus well which makes it hard for her to read, the girl is doing average in school. She should be failing but is so smart that she can compensate for her inability to see written words correctly.

She's highly verbal. Spoke her 1st words at 6 months - full sentences at 15 months.

Fits this description to a T:
Is My Child Gifted?

Characteristics that young gifted children may display:
  • Verbal precocity
  • Intense curiosity
  • Capacity to understand abstract concepts and ask complex questions
  • Adult-like sense of humor
  • Intense interest in fantasy play
  • Mature choice of words
  • Early interest in reading
  • Long attention span for topics of interest
  • Unusual interest in conversations and activities of older children and adults
  • Frustration when work is not perfect or when a skill cannot be mastered easily
But of course because of her vision issues, she is being pulled out of the classroom for things like reading recovery, extra help preparing for standardizing testing etc. While I'm ok with that, it's reeking havoc with her self esteem. She's bright enough to know.....

What do you think? And if I do get her tested will the vision issues skew the test results? Is there a way they can test her verbally?

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; January 31st, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
January 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We aren't bothering to test Ani or the little boys. There's just no need. Cameron was tested last spring (at 9 1/2). He is gifted AND he has dyslexia and dysgraphia. The vision issues might skew the results depending on exactly what they use. Most of his test was verbal.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The vision issues will certainly skew the results, but if you go to a psychologist who is actually trained to test for giftedness (not just in a long list of things they're certified to test), they'll be able to give you their two cents about the scores, and they'll be able to make modifications when possible. We just had my older son tested a couple of weeks ago. He has neuro/muscular delays and Asperger's. His score was lower than it would've been otherwise, but we were able to get a good estimate of his real score, and we were able to get a wealth of resources, recommendations, and suggestions specific to his needs. That's the real reason we had him tested in the first place. The score has never really mattered to me. We'll likely have my younger son tested in a few years simply because comprehensive testing really does tell you a lot about a child's strengths and weaknesses, and because it can also detect stealth learning disabilities (or in my older one's case, rule out a disability we were told he might have).

Independent testing is expensive, but if you go into it looking for a variety of answers rather than just a score, it's worth it IMO. Should everyone do it? Probably not. I think you should in your situation, though. (We went to the Gifted Development Center in CO, by the way. Not sure where you live or if that's an option. You could always call and ask for testing recommendations in your area or request a phone conference, though.)

Last edited by BensMom; January 30th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
January 31st, 2012, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I don't care about the score or even the label as a gifted kid. I just want to provide her with the tools she needs to succeed and mostly give her the confidence she needs.

We live in the suburbs of Chicago. So I'm sure there is something similar to the Gifted Development Center here. The characteristics quote came from the site of a private gifted school near where we live. They do testing for around $450. You don't need to go to the school to get the testing. I believe that because they're part of the school that's all they do.

They do the WISC-IV test for 2nd-8th graders.
I love that they could provide me with more information & resources for her.

January 31st, 2012, 04:53 PM
We did the WISC-IC and WJ-III. I think the WISC would probably give you what you need, but you should ask them about the WJ as well to see what they think and if they offer it.

By the way, $450 is a great price. It's $700 here. Be sure to ask them if they use extended norms and calculate the GAI from the total score. That's important.
February 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you! I'm so new to all of this. It so helps to have someone with experience to talk to.

February 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM
WJ isn't an IQ test. It's an achievement test (what grade level are you working on, what percentile are you compared to grade and/or age peers, etc.). Combined with IQ, it reveals a lot for struggling learners. It'll help you see where the strong and weak areas are. There are about 30 subtests, but generally, only about 10 are used. The tester will get background information to decide which tests are most relevant. For example, there's a subtest that sees how well you read nonsense words. It's good for weeding out dyslexia. Kids who already read and spell well don't need that test.
February 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks that helps! I think the subtest with the nonsense word would be unnecessary for her as well because we know she has an issue with reading & spelling. But there may be other things going on as well that the other test may identify.

Now I just have to save up the money & get the testing done. I may see if I can do it over her spring break in March.

February 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think testing her is a good idea!!
If nothing else you will be armed with good reason not to have her included in those pull-outs (unless of course you/she want to continue those for some reason).

February 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
My2miracles .. you must not be too far from me. I know what school offers the testing. I used a tester just north of that school. I paid just my copay for the WISC and WIAT. Our tester is a recommended tester from Hoagies and from one of the schools in Elgin. Let me know if you want her information.
February 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd love the information!!!!! The school I was referencing is in Palatine - Quest Academy. But I live closer to Elgin so that would be great!!!!!

February 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FandJsmomma View Post
My2miracles .. you must not be too far from me. I know what school offers the testing. I used a tester just north of that school. I paid just my copay for the WISC and WIAT. Our tester is a recommended tester from Hoagies and from one of the schools in Elgin. Let me know if you want her information.
I noticed you only have 4 posts right now. I believe you still have to have 10 to access PMs. Not sure if you were trying to PM any info to her or not.
February 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I haven't tried to pm

The tester I used was Dr. Michelle Navarro. Her contact information is on Hoagies. Her office is in Long Grove. I am closer to Elgin as well. We will probably be touring the Einstein Academy (in Elgin) in the next few weeks.
February 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I'll check it out!

February 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
She lives nearby (about 2 blocks from the library) and did the followup at her house. We will be seeing her again on Wednesday with Frannie getting her testing completed.

who is your insurance with??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search