hi

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hi
I am Sheila mom to Frannie (8/second grade) and EJ (6/kindergarten). We live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.

EJ is highly gifted. He is all about numbers and math. His reading is starting to catch up as well. We live in a district that does not believe in grade skipping or subject acceleration. We had EJ privately tested in December to give us a better idea of what to do about his schooling. Our district has a magnet program but unfortunately that doesn't begin until third grade. Gifted services here begin in second grade. We are looking at private schools for him.

Frannie has not been identified by the school as gifted. She scores in the 95th percentile on reading and math MAP. SHe took the CogAT and missed a 5 questions total and therefore didn't qualify. She is older for her grade and it is age scored. She will be taking the WISC and WIAT through a private tester on Wednesday. They say siblings are usually with 5 points of each other so with that thought she is being tested.
February 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome! It's true... siblings are usually pretty close. Does your school accept private test scores? Most don't, so be sure to check on that. Around here, there's only a pull-out program, and it also starts at 3rd grade. We're homeschooling, and it's working great for us. I know that's not an option for everyone, but it's perfect for us.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for! Did you do the same test with EJ? (You said he was HG, so I assumed you with the WISC or something to find that out.)
February 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Our district does not accept outside testing. That being said, the principal was given EJ's report and is acting on it accordingly. He took the WISC and has a GAI of 139. His WIAT scores showed 3rd grade in math and mid first in reading (with mid second grade comprehension). Since the testing , he has had a big leap in reading and is now reading Young Cam Jansen and Horrible Harry books quite easily. His winter math NWEA MAP score was a 196 and reading a 179.

Frannie just started this week in the gifted pull out. She also moved up to the gifted reading group. Her MAP scores in 1st grade were in the 98th percentile for math and reading. They have steadily gone down in percentile since. She had no growth in reading last year at all. She was in a reading group with 2nd graders but they just weren't very motivated. I think she is underachieving at this point. Her winter math MAP score was only 6 points higher then EJ's (fall was as well). She has been in a math pull out group since first grade. If he was in her class, he would be in her math group lol.

Honestly, I wouldn't test her if it was costing me an arm and a leg like people report it costing. Our tester accepts insurance and it is only costing our $50 co pay. Our tester is recommended by Hoagies and by the private schools in out area.

I wish I could home school but we need my income. I also don't think I would have the patience to deal with my kids every day like that.
February 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM
How are you getting it covered by insurance? We just did the WISC and WJ a couple of weeks ago, and it cost us $1500 for the testing and $700 for the follow-up conference. We were told we couldn't get testing covered by insurance unless it was being done as part of a diagnostic thing for mental retardation or ADHD or whatever, and even then, it wouldn't be fully covered. The WISC might be covered a little, but the WJ wouldn't be, because it's academic, not diagnostic ... so they say.

The son who was tested was just found to have Asperger's in Dec, so the WISC confirmed the diagnosis, but that wasn't our primary reason for testing. Anyway... just curious how you're getting it covered. Which company is your insurance through? We've had both Aetna and Humana turn us down for testing coverage.
February 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. When I called them to inquire, they said it is coveed whether or not it is diagnostic. When I was looking for a tester, I asked that specific question. Our tester is in network and confirmed it would be covered.
February 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Wow! That's great!
February 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FandJsmomma View Post
We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. When I called them to inquire, they said it is coveed whether or not it is diagnostic. When I was looking for a tester, I asked that specific question. Our tester is in network and confirmed it would be covered.
Sweet! We have the same coverage. Good to know.

Hi! Welcome! I think Frannie's name is so cute by the way.

February 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
HI again! Wow I had no idea it could possible be covered by insurance. I'm going to check ours out.

Our kids are close in age - Noah 5 kindy and Lucy is a young 4th grader at 9 1/2.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
m2m.. what school district are you in? We are in schaumburg 54
February 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're in Schaumburg 54 as well. Armstrong. Small world

February 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
lol we are at einstein. we do girl scouts at armstrong

I need to get 10 posts lol so I can do private messages!
February 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FandJsmomma View Post
lol we are at einstein. we do girl scouts at armstrong

I need to get 10 posts lol so I can do private messages!

Post fast!!!!

February 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM
lol I'm trying.. keep talking to me ahahahaha
February 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I am at 10! How do we access private messages
February 6th, 2012, 03:16 PM
At the top of the page, click "User CP" (control panel), and then on the left, go to the private messaging section of the menu.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search