FandJsmomma

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey are you still around? How's the new job going?

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
April 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Kris,
Thank you for asking!! I am still here.. The new job is going great. I am always tired though. I knew that would happen as I always give it all at work and this **** disease I live with just doesn't like that very much. We need to meet up sometime!

I had posted this question on a facebook gifted private board and thought I would ask it here too.

I need help.. Frannie (8 yrs - second grade) made a comment today that bothered me. She said she isn't smart and that EJ (6 yrs - kinder) is much smarter than her. After discussion ,she said that all the kids in the afterschool program pay attention to him and the work he is doing and not to her. They are both at a fourth grade level in math. They are both gifted..her GAI is 132 and his is 139. How do I build her confidence?

I forgot to add:

I have a meeting with the principal on Monday morning. I want to plan ahead for next year for EJ. I wish our district wasn't so anti acceleration/grade skip
April 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had some really good advice for you. I am hitting road block after road block this year. I am really starting to hate school in general.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
How do I build her confidence?
How boring would the world be if everyone was great at math, but no one could do poetry? (There would be no Dr. Seuss, no songs on the radio, and a lot less romance!) What if everyone was great at climbing but no one could swim? (We'd all over-populate the mountains and never experience the beach.)

Have her point out all the things SHE can do that are great, and also have her point out all the things she's not so great at. Show her famous people who have little-known talents (like, Pat Sajak from Wheel of Fortune used to be a meteorologist and has a brilliant mind). If you teach the Bible, point out the fact that God gave each of us different talents, and that He doesn't make mistakes.
April 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad the job is going well. Ironcially, as of end of day Friday, I will now be unemployed. We definitely have to meet up. I have a feeling the kids will get along fabulously. Lucy really needs to find kids that are more on her level intellectually. I'll pm you my info.

As far as the confidence thing, that's my biggest struggle with Lucy. She is gifted (although not tested) but has a vision disability. So her intelligence isn't reflected in her test scores at school. But the minute you speak with her, you can see she's not like other kids her age. Her newest friend is a 15 year old, her other friend is 12. She is 9.

Lucy is getting better with her confidence. It's been a huge challenge though. One thing that has been good for her is dance & gymnastics. She's great at both & it has help build her overall confidence.

I talk to Lucy a lot about being different. How the people who are truly exceptional & successful as adults are different. I use Bill Gates as an example

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
April 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I spoke with the district gifted director today. EJ will receive services as a first grader. I am hoping they will use the IAS with him for a grade skip (I have asked for the skip in writing). That being said, our district feels that the gifted program (formally starts in grade 2) and the magnet school (third grade for the top 1-2% of kids) are sufficient and therefore they don't believe in grade skips or subject acceleration. Based off his WISC scores from December, he will qualify for the magnet.
April 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm glad they're willing to at least do that much. I know a lot of schools offer absolutely nothing for gifted students. Hopefully you'll be able to get them to listen and actually look at the IAS. They need to be open minded!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search