Fritz astounds me

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It's easy to forget Fritz is still 5. He spent so long speaking so we could barely understand him that he always seemed a lot younger. He had a few months of speech therapy and now he speaks so well that he seems older.

He's doing Calvert 1st grade right now. He's 3/4 of the way through it. He'll finish in late May/early June. He won't turn 6 until July. He's reading well, but it's not as easy as math is for him so he says it's hard and he doesn't like it so much. I was reading Catching Fire on my Kindle the other morning and he was sitting next to me and all of a sudden he was looking over my shoulder and reading it out loud. Just reading like it was no big deal.

But it's math that amazes me. He just has this natural math ability. He gets it intuitively. I try to teach him something and he's two steps ahead. He can solve multi-digit addition problems (with regrouping) in his head. He can even do them if there are 3 or more multi-digit numbers to add. When it was clear that first grade math was too easy for him, he started doing two math lessons a day. I figured we'd go back to one a day once he got to where he didn't get it so easily. That hasn't happened yet. He's 1/4 of the way through Calvert Second Grade math now.

Yesterday I gave Cameron a placement test for Teaching Textbooks. He's got dysgraphia so it's physically difficult for him to write what his brain wants him to write. I suspect he's expending so much mental energy on how to write the numbers that he doesn't have enough left to solidify how to do the math. Sometimes he'll write something like 1-0=2 (and often the 2 is written backwards and looks like a 5) and he gets so upset because he knows 2 is not the answer, but his hand wouldn't do what his brain told it to do. Teaching Textbooks is done on the computer so there won't be that disconnect issue. Many dysgraphic kids do much better typing. Cameron placed solidly into Teaching Textbooks Math 4 which is perfect since he's 1/4 of the way through Calvert fourth grade math.

While I was giving Cameron the placement test, I decided to give one to Fritz just to see. I printed out the Math 3 test for him. He had seen Ani doing her Algebra I Teaching Textbooks lesson and was so impressed. He couldn't believe she was doing school because it looked, to him, like a video game. And he loves video games. He wanted to know if he could do school like that.

He aced the placement test. The only thing he got wrong was 3 answers that he left blank because they were multiplication problems and he's never even seen multiplication yet (that'll be introduced later in Calvert second grade math). Once he can do the simple multiplication, he'll actually place into Math 4! So I figure he'll finish Calvert second grade math and I'll have him watch the Times Tales DVD a few times and he'll go right into Math 4, skipping over Math 3.

Of course that brings up a bit touchy issue... Cameron and Fritz will be in the same level of math. Cameron's actually okay with it. He's just as amazed by Fritz's math ability and proud of his brother. He's even said he's glad Fritz doesn't have dyslexia and dysgraphia because it makes things so much harder. We've known Fritz would eventually pass Cameron in math. We didn't think it would be quite this soon.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 11th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome! Matt loves math too, but he doesn't have any crazy advanced abilities. He just likes to tell Beth the answers to her homework. Drives her nuts because he is just a little bit faster, lol.

I'm glad Cameron is taking it well. I'm sure it helps that he has always been homeschooled and so being right on "grade level" isn't that big of a deal. Especially since you guys did Sonlight for several years, which barely has grade levels.
April 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome! Math is my weakness so I am always impressed with kids who excel in it!

My Andrew has what I call "crazy number head". He can figure anything out with numbers in his head.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I suspect Daniel will also catch or pass Ben in math at some point. I've always made it clear to the boys that life isn't a contest. God gave everyone unique abilities. Ben's is clearly language arts, but we don't know what Daniel's will be yet. He seems to be much more well-rounded.

I'm glad Cameron's cool with the idea of a matched-ability sibling. A lot of kids would be really upset about something like that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search