Anything special or different you did?

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran
For those of you with gifted and talented children, just wondering if there's anything special or different you did during your pregnancy or when they were infants or toddlers, or certain foods that you ate during your pregnancy? I'm execting my first and wondering if there's anything I could do that would possibly give them a better advantage
April 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Like an athletic body, a predisposition to diabetes, or anything else, giftedness is a potential in someone that can be found in their genetic make up. You can push my kids all you want, but they'll never be athletes. In fact, the harder I push them, or feed them protein shakes, the more likely they'll hate me and end up with heart disease.

The best thing you can do is eat normal, healthy foods, do pregnancy-approved exercises, and love your children. Read to them, and give them toys that don't require batteries. Let them explore and learn how to problem solve on their own. Kids who watch Baby Einstein DVDs are no more likely to be gifted academically than kids who watch string quartets are to be millionaire cellists.

I didn't do anything special while pregnant or after my kids were born. Actually, I lost several pregnancies, had complications with both living children's pregnancies, and have one with special needs (although still academically gifted). I didn't do anything differently with them when they were babies or toddlers, either. I come from a family on both sides with giftedness and post-graduate degrees. I would've been just as surprised to have a child with average intelligence as an olympic athlete would to have a child who's a klutz.

(Edit)

These two links are a little bit outdated, but still relevant. More recent genetic studies have been able to pinpoint several genes that determine intelligence.

Genetics and intelligence
The Terman Genetic Studies of Genius

Think about eye color. If one parent has brown eyes and one has blue, there's a wide range of colors that the child could have. If both parents have brown eyes, chances are very slim that they'll have a blue eyed child. Giftedness is the same. If you or your child's father are gifted, there's a chance your child will be. If both of you are gifted, there's an even higher chance your child will be. If neither of you are, there's a slim chance your child will be.

Last edited by BensMom; April 15th, 2012 at 09:40 PM.
April 16th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Honestly, the only reason my kids are gifted is because I am and I married a guy who is. Genetics being what they are it's only natural that our kids are gifted. Same goes for my brother and his wife and their four girls and my sister and her husband and their son. One of my kids is also dyslexic in addition to having higher than average intelligence. Again, genetics. His dad is the same way. There is really nothing you can do to produce a gifted kid on purpose.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, it's genetics. However, keeping yourself healthy during pregnancy, and then providing a loving environment will help any child reach their full potential.
April 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the replies... was just wondering if there was anything you consistently did ..I have a pscyh degree and am a firm believer that genetics play a large role but also believe that your environment plays a huge role as well.... think it's a combo of both, as that your genetics determine what your range of intelligence could be, but a variety of factors determine how far up to your potential your likely to reach...

Last edited by alybr; April 17th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
April 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
If you have a gifted child, it's best to treat them like any other child... which means don't push too hard, and don't hold back too much. Challenge him/her appropriately and individually, not with a one size fits all sort of challenge. Both pushing and pulling will kill the desire to learn and succeed, especially in the gifted population. In that sense, I suppose I actually have consistently done something differently than most people - I've allowed and encouraged my children to learn whatever they want, whenever they want, without regard to arbitrary rules or milestone charts.
June 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Honestly, the only reason my kids are gifted is because I am and I married a guy who is. Genetics being what they are it's only natural that our kids are gifted.
Same here. I wish I could give you some advice. There have been studies that show smoking around your kids lowers their IQ...having said that, both DH and I had moms that smoked while pregnant AND during our childhood. And this was back when they would hot box the car, windows up and all!! And we were still both gifted. Although maybe we would have been smarter...lol
June 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I do not consider myself gifted. At least not academically - artistically maybe. My dh is not gifted either. That being said, my MIL and my SIL are gifted and VERY intelligent. Apparently, it just skipped and went to my kids. That's okay with me. I never did anything different with my kids either ~ just let them be kids and read a ton!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My sister & bil are not gifted (normal intelligence) & my niece is gifted so I don't know. I'm sure being gifted increases your odds but I wouldn't say not be gifted makes it slim that you'll have a gifted child.

And remember that gifted is a really broad definition. You can be gifted in many different ways. Some kids are gifted in 1 area and actually have a disability in other areas for example a gifted math student may have trouble with reading. I never considered myself gifted until I had a child who spoke full sentences by 15 months. Then I started researching & realized I was. Sadly though, I was one of those gifted kids that never reached my potential - partly because it wasn't recognized & I got bored and partly because sometimes because my brain works so fast, I have trouble with social interactions - l used to always wonder why people took so long to get to the right answer to a problem. I mean I'm moderately successful in my career but it certainly doesn't reflect my intelligence because my impatience with people has held me back.

On paper, my dd doesn't appear to be gifted. She gets A's & B's. But that's only because she has a vision disability that makes it hard for her to physically read (her eyes don't work together so she has trouble seeing the words). The minute any adult talks to her, the realize the difference. When she entered school, she stumped the teachers because she was so far advanced verbally & behind in reading. That's not typical.

My son is appearing to be a gifted athlete. Ironically, dh & I are the least athletic people on the planet. Not sure how that happened

Oh wanted to add that my sister & bil both smoke & did around my niece.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search