Coming out of Lurking to ask a question

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had people say that my DD is gifted and while I personally think she is very special, I am biased since she is my only child. I have posted here before but then things got hectic in my daily life and I started lurking just so I would know the things to look for. I admit to having little experience with preschoolers as a group so I accepted that all the things my DD does are just things an average two year old does. These friends who say she is gifted are people who have taught 2-6 year olds for years, so maybe they know something I don't.
She has a song book and she will bring it to me and turn the page to the song she wants to sing. There are no pictures on the pages, just music and lyrics, yet she turns to the right song every time and tells me part of the title (for instance when she wants to sing Little Bunny Foo Foo, she will say Bunny and make bunny ears with her first two fingers). When someone on a video or a program on Sprout (usually Captain Feathersword) cries, she begins to weep unconsolably and we have to turn it off then redirect her attention to a book or something. The song "Five Little Ducks" upsets her so much that when she hears the first notes of the song, she tears up. We created her a fenced in area to play in and every day she goes and tries to figure out how to open the latch on the gate. She has a bag of magnetic alphabet letters and she pulls out a letter, says its' name and then puts it on the refrigerator door. She was at my sister's last weekend and she was handed a container that had a lid on top with shaped holes in it. She was given the blocks to put in the correct holes and when she couldn't get the star in, my sister said Katie sat down the block, worked with the lid until she had opened it and then put the star block inside, closed the lid and picked up another block to put in the correct hole.
Anyone know if this is just the way every two year old is or whether there is something that hints that she might be gifted. I have already put her on the waiting list for two private schools since I really don't think she is a good fit for public schools. Even if she isn't gifted, the being prone to crying when someone else cries might make her a target for bullies in public school.

April 20th, 2012, 06:32 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I had a good answer for you. I didn't really think my daughter was gifted until she went to school. I just thought that's what all kids did. LOL

My advice would be to continue to nurture her and stimulate her everyday! If she is gifted, she still needs to be stimulated, right? Give her lots of things to play with and do - puzzles and especially - READ. That's a big one.

Wish I was more help.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
It's really too soon to tell. Giftedness comes in a lot of different packages. She may be very sensitive, very curious, or very observant. Sounds like some of the same things my kids did, though. There are also things (like crying over songs or tv programs) that they both outgrew around 3-4 years old. Time will tell. Just encourage her in everything she does.
April 21st, 2012, 04:45 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yup, too soon to tell. She definitely is sensitive. What a sweetheart.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 26th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My Lucy is hyper sensitive. She feels everything so strongly. It started as an infant & she hasn't outgrown it at almost 10. She is better at managing it though. I just call her my sensitive girl. I think if nurtured, it will bring her great success in some career fields.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search