So very angry right now

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so angry today. We went to kindergarten screening yesterday at Noble local school. They tested Rachel and pretty much told us they will see us in August. Today they call while I'm at work and said they will not accept her due to her age. She passed every test they threw at her and exceeded the guidelines for the 5 year olds with outstandings in everything. This is all age based. I am so angry because I just took a full time job. I can't teach and work at the same time. I am wanting to paint a blue streak with my call on Monday.

Sorry for my rant but it ticked me off that she was accepted yesterday and rejected today.
April 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would be really upset too if she had been accepted yesterday and rejected today. Was Noble the only school you were considering this autumn? You were thinking about another school as well earlier, right?

April 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no! That stinks. Maybe the school had too many kids they "had" to take because they were old enough. I know our district won't take any early admitted kids if there just isn't room.

What is plan B?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I bet what happened is that they're following guidelines 100%. Someone is required to test, so they do. They give their impressions of the testee. Someone else is required to say what the school is ready and willing to take on, including age-based parameters. That person probably has veto power over anything a tester does.

(... at least, that's how it is here. It doesn't matter if a 4 year old is doing calculus. They won't accept a 4 year old at our district EVEN THOUGH the state says they're required to test for early acceptance. They're short on teachers and short on funds. They can't afford to take kids early.)

Are you considering any other schools? What about the younger? Could they both go to the same place (preschool??) next year?
April 21st, 2012, 04:43 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
They generally have pretty strict rules for early admit. Here the kid has to be born within 30 days of the cut-off and then they have to exceed all the standards by a certain amount. But on top of that, like in Shari's district, there needs to be space. If they are filled up with kids of the compulsory age they reject all kids under the age no matter how smart or well they do on the tests.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 21st, 2012, 06:53 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Caldwell Schools won't test her untill August but even then they already got 96 children for 3 teachers so I don't see them taking her. Noble local had only 56 for 4 kindergarten teachers so I knew that was our best shot for getting her in this year. There is two catholic schools in our area and one already told us no The other one has to take their own perish students before taking any outside students and if I want her to go there they want me to become a registered member of their church which I wouldn't mind since I am a catholic anyway and go to church not far from there. My MIL last night was wanting my hubby to home school her since he is already home anyway and his IQ is only a few points off genius. I just can't see him being an effective teacher because he has trouble breaking things down to a child's level.

I am just still so mad that they said no to her.
April 22nd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure the other ladies are right. It probably wasn't an issue with your child, but rather their unwillingness to actually take any kids early.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search