Surprising

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone else been surprised by the fact that your child is gifted?

I was pretty surprised when I found out that Beth had tested into the program. I don't know why. Dh and I were both in AG (which is what they called it when we were kids...academically gifted.) She's my kiddo though, and I see how I have to ask her ten times to do things, and stuff like that. Doesn't exactly bring the word "gifted" to mind. Low and behold, she tests very well though.

Now little Matt is coming along. I talked to his teacher today, and he is also doing well. VERY well. Who knew? That kid can't sit still to save his life, and has never been interested in anything school life. Here he is at six years old though....great at math and great at reading.

You hear all the time about people who think their average kids are gifted...am I the only meanie who thinks my gifted kids are average?

To be fair...they aren't "highly gifted." I mean there is "gifted" and then there is GIFTED. You guys know what I mean. I guess I've known a few really smart people in my life, and no one in my family (myself included) seems to fit in that category. We are just a family of readers.
April 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I actually hear that from people all the time. You're not alone! I always assumed my kids would be gifted, because everyone in my family is.

You need a new siggy! I want to see pix!
April 25th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm like BensMom. To be honest, it never crossed my mind that the kids wouldn't be gifted. Cameron doesn't appear gifted on the surface because of the dyslexia, dysgraphia, and memory problems, but even with him everyone always comments on how brilliant he is after they've talked to him.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am often surprised that Erin and Andrew are gifted because she often has no common sense whatsoever!!!

It's like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
That pic is soooooooooooo Ben!
April 26th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That's Cameron, but it's not a common sense thing for him. He's the stereotypical absent minded professor.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 26th, 2012, 04:35 AM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Erin has actually done this with a door. Then told me it was locked. I never laughed so hard!!! LOL

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

April 26th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I too was surprised. I went to a school that didn't have a gifted program (I'm really old ) But I was always at the top of my class & did well. I didn't get a lot of encouragement from my parents so inretrospect although I got A's & B's, I was an underachiever. In doing all the research when Lucy was a baby, I realized I should have been classified as gifted too.

Lucy freaked me out when she started talking at 6 months & said full sentences at 15 months. Unfortunately, her giftedness is masked by a vision problem that makes reading difficult for her. But when you talk to her --- it's so obvious.

Now Noah is my quiet one. He didn't talk much until he turned 4 and then not so clearly. But at 3, he could navigate around the computer without being shown. His preschool teacher didn't think he knew the alphabet or his letters because when she asked he didn't answer. The little bugger just didn't want to answer. At home, he would identify them all. I think he's got more going on inside his head than he lets on. I know he is very bright - time will tell if he is gifted though. If I didn't have Lucy 1st, it would come as a surprise but now I'm expecting it.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
April 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess the surprising part is not that they are smart, but by how it suddenly seemed to pop up around six. We are laid back parents....never did anything special with them. Just read to them and taught them the usual preschool things. I homeschooled B for a year, taught her to read a little, and didn't find her to be picking it up all that fast. Then all of a sudden she turned six and was at the top of her class and reading everything. One year later Matt has followed in her footsteps. It's kind of neat to see all the "usual things"....hours spent talking to them, reading to them, feeding them healthy meals, carting them around....result in healthy bright kids.
April 26th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I didn't emphasize academics with my kids when they were young either. Like you said just the normal stuff. Lucy was highly verbal very early so that jumped out at me. Noah on the other hand is more introspective so it isn't obvious with him. I think if he was my 1st or only extreme academic success 1st showing up in school would surprise me too. Now I'm kind of expecting it. Sometimes things just click at different times I guess.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; April 26th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search