grade skipping

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Has anyone done this? EJ is old for grade (birthday in November with Sept 1 cutoff). His GAI is 139. We are waiting for spring NWEA MAP to come back before pushing although we have asked for it already. Our psychologist and a friend who is a phsychologist don't think a skip will be enough as the issue is going to be pace. His math MAP (on primary) scores that he said were on the screen for the 2 parts were 203 and 215. We have no clue what his reading scores were. He is finishing up kindergarten. Our district has gifted pull outs that officially start in second grade and a magnet that he will qualify for beginning in third. We have been told he will get the pull outs as a first grader. HE currently is doing Singapore 3a math at home and he is cruising through it. His guided reading level is 'L'.

thanks for your advise
May 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They won't do it at all in our current district. I skipped second grade as a kid, and did okay. It was a little hard being a year younger when it came to high school and college. Not academically, but as far as maturity goes.
May 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's a big deal. I mean if he was born August 30th just 1 or so prior, he'd already be in 1st grade right? Lucy is one of the youngest in her class & does just fine. She'll be 17 when she grades & be one of the last to drive but that's normal for kids who are born in the months right before the cutoff.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
May 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Especially since he's born in that time period that in many states used to be the higher grade anyway, I'd push really hard. Unfortunately a lot of districts will not allow public school grade skips. Period.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I live in a district where grade skipping and/or early entrance isn't even considered, regardless of test scores. That's why we homeschool.

Arm yourself with these:

IRPA - A Nation Deceived - Get Report (read vol 1 and only the necessary sections of vol 2)

IRPA - Iowa Acceleration Scale (buy a copy of this for the school if necessary)
dannimom likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search