Summer plans?

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What are you doing this summer? When does school end, and when do you go back to school?
May 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you posted this! I was so excited to tell you I'm going to do a modified homeschooling thing with Hugo!

I get off work after the first week of June. I have 5 weeks off. Hugo's last day of preschool is this Monday so I'm letting both of them have the next 3 weeks free with grandparents before I get off. They both don't go back to preschool until September.

I was wanting to get them both into swimming lessons but classes around here are scarce, and they are in different age groups to do a group class. If we do that I'll have to pay for private lessons, so not sure yet. Hugo's going to stay with martial arts through the summer.

We are planning to stay home for the 5 weeks since we're going to Disney in the fall and also since we need to switch Sergio to underwear and I want him to have plenty of time to get used to it. I have a whole list of different activities to do at home and locally, but also a small curriculum of stuff to do the "homeschooling" with Hugo while Sergio takes his daily naps. We are going to cover reading, writing, math, Bible and piano. I'm not using anything fancy, just a list of objectives under each area that we need to work on.

May 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
May 19th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Have fun with that!

We usually school year round, but this year will be different because my sister and nephew are coming to stay with us the end of June until the beginning of August. We haven't seen them in 4 years, since the day Adrian was born (which is a month from today 4 years ago). They lived in Romania for two years and they've been in Belgium the last two (my BIL is military). They will be stationed in New Mexico next, but in between my BIL has training here on the east coast so my sister and nephew (who will be 9 in August) will stay with us while my BIL is at that training. We're super excited to have them here. My sister is planning to spend lots of time doing Ani's hair. Her hair is very long and my sister is unable to have more children so she'll never get to do a daughter's hair. Ani said she'd be happy to let her do whatever she wants. Cameron can't wait to have his cousin climb trees and play in the woods with him. Fritz just adores his cousin and Adrian has always loved talking to my sister on Skype so it'll be a very special summer.

Anyway, Ani's planning to finish 8th grade before they arrive (she's doing two lessons a day, but needs to go slightly faster to be done by her goal). Fritz has 15 lessons of 1st grade left so he'll be done before they get here anyway. Cameron is not much over halfway through 4th so no way he can finish before they arrive. All three will continue to do math over the summer. The boys will keep reading aloud to me every day as well. Because Cameron is behind his age-mates, he may continue to do a half a lesson a day or something like that. Just a couple hours a day. Adrian will keep going as usual which is 10-15 minutes a day three days a week. My sister is planning to have my nephew do math over the summer as well. He'll probably use the same Teaching Textbooks Math 4 that Cameron and Fritz will be using. It makes it easy since it's on the computer and at least Fritz thinks it's just a fun video game.

My plan is for the kids to go back to school the day after Labor Day. Ani's already saying she wants to go back earlier than that lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
We're kinda-sorta already finished. There's only a trickle of school work left for the year, and I don't care if it gets finished or not.

June is a road trip through 5 states to go to summer camp, and then dh's bday and youth lectureships at church. July is absolutely nothing! Movies, bowling, and yeah... nothing. August is VBS, and then we'll start back to school in mid-August (1st & 4th). Both boys will continue doing a teeny bit of "school work" (ahem... playing around on the computer, so they think) all summer, but nothing really scheduled.
May 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
School ends June 5th & they go back Aug 21.

We hired a college student (elementary ed) to nanny for the kids this summer. I plan on having the kids do math & reading every day. Since I just started a new job, we're toning down our summer trip to just a long weekend in late July or early August.

We're trying to figure out when dsd comes to visit. She'll be with us for 3 weeks.

We had Noah's birthday party this weekend. Lucy is June 16 & her dance recital is June 23 & 24. She's now in the dance company so she dances in all 3 shows. She'll continue dance & gymnastics over the summer. Noah will finish up t-ball then not sure what.

Lucy starts her 12 weeks of vision therapy the 2nd week of June.

Dh is putting up our pool this week. We don't usually have it going this early but it's unseasonably hot & seems like it's going to stay that way.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
May 21st, 2012, 01:25 PM
Please keep us updated on the vision therapy. I'm really curious how it goes. We saw a huge improvement in Ben (Mar-Oct 2011), but we can't afford to keep going right now. He needs to go back.
May 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will. This is our 2nd round. She had some in 2 years ago. We saw great improvements then. Can't wait to see how this round works for her. I have high expectations.

We can't really afford it either - $2,800 but we should have done it last year & I can't put it off any longer. If I were homeschooling, I could put it off but for her to function in a public school environment, she has to get it done. So there goes our summer vacation & a few other things. But it's worth it!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 7th, 2012, 06:15 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never mind my previous post about not going anywhere. My mom just booked us a trip to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks. The boys haven't been, and I am excited to bring them.

My last day of work was today and I got a whole ton of school stuff for Hugo out of the teacher discards, including brand new workbooks.

June 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nathan got out on Monday and goes back August 22nd. He spends about 1.5 hours after lunch working on some school stuff and reading. We also do a lot of activities throughout the summer-swimming class, baseball, bowling, $1 movies, zoo trips, storytime at the library, etc. We have an 8 day trip planned for later this month and then a few other days trips-water park, amusement park, etc planned too. We like to be busy!
June 12th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Regular
My dd got out of school May 23rd and she goes back the second week of August. She is 13 and I am a single mom so part of the summer she will have to stay home alone, but I am trying not to do that too often. She did a youth activity the end of May, where they stayed at our church campground and they worked on the cabins, and other building projects. The first week of June she helped with VBS, and this week she is on a tour with her youth choir fom church. The next couple of weeks we have nothing planned, then in July we are going to DisneyWorld, and the week after that we have campmeeting, and the youth sleep at the campground and go on field trips every day. Then a couple of weeks with no plans then it's back to school. Somewhere in there she will probably spend a few days with my mom as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search