Next Year

Forum: Gifted and Talented Children

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gifted and Talented Children LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We finally decided. We're going to keep all the kids home. I really thought long and hard about sending Beth to the public TAG school. The one friend from base who was going to go also though decided not to. She said the crime stats for the neighborhood were really bad, and the school has even had to go on lockdown because of criminal activity in the area. Now I did notice that the area was run down, but I didn't know all that. Since we were still on the fence anyway, that made the decision pretty easy.

I'm pretty sure I am going to buy our curriculum through Oak Meadow. I've looked and looked, thought about putting something together myself, and then looked some more. I think this one looks like a good fit, and the price is reasonable. I've bumping Matt and Beth up one grade each. Beth will be using the third grade material, and Matt the second. Carrie has one more year before she starts kindergarten, and then of course Katy is still a toddler.
June 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
shari626's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a great plan! Glad you finally got to make a decision - and it sounds like a good one. It's nice when something comes along and bumps you in the right direction - right?

I am sure everyone will be happier this way!!!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

June 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sounds great Where is the TAG school? Some friends who live barely over the border in PG were talking about trying to get their kids into it because they thought it would be better, but if it's in a really bad area...

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 3rd, 2012, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are quite a few TAG center schools in PG County...which one they went to would depend on their address. This one was in Forestville. Honestly I really like the program they were offering, which is what made it a tough decision.
June 4th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Forestville?!?!?! No, not a good place. Not at all! It used to be okay, but in the last 20 years it's gotten bad.

I think they said he'd go to one "somewhere" around Upper Marlboro. Which could be a nice place or it could be terrible. PG's just a rough county.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 4th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, Forestville's only a few miles from the base, so that is where she was zoned for.

They're apparently building a brand new TAG Center in Bowie. The school Beth looked at was a regular elementary school, which just a hallway of all TAG kids. This new school will be only TAG kids. And only for people in Bowie apparently. As if they need a new school! I think they already have some of the best schools in PG County. I'd love to see them sink some money into this side of town...they really need it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search